Off Topic Messages

World Series '05

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:01 am

All right you fans of the Fall Classic, who will be the world champions of baseball?

I'm predicting the ChiSox in 6 games or less.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:23 am

I agree. The White Sox are a sentimental favorite to win. If ever there was a team more pathetic than the Red Sox when it comes to post season play, or lack of it, it's those guys. They've waited their turn.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:57 am

Well, if this is the World Series, perhaps it will be the UK, or Australia, or India..........................

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:07 pm

I will predict that Houston will win. There are some very good pitchers on both teams but I think the experience of the Astros will prevail.
I guess I don't care. at this point, who wins but it will be a fun series. It will be low-rated as far as viewers go because there is no New York (thank you Lord) and know Atlanta (thanks again). Also there is no teams from California. The above lack of big market teams will definitely take viewers away but it should be fun nevertheless.
I will definitely not miss the Braves "chops" and the Yankees Rivera with his wad of spit on his lip. I will also never miss the crabbiest foul-mouthed person in baseball...Bobby Cox with his rocking sidekick. I'm so, so sick of those two teams whose payroll buys winning teams year after year. It's nice to have two teams that have not been in the World Series for 46 years (Chicago) and ever (Houston in their 44 year history).
Should be fun.

jeff R

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:17 pm

I'll be watching simply because I love the game. But I couldn't care less who wins.

Tom

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:48 pm

Me neither. But as a long-time Yankee fan, I have to give it up
to Houston and the Chisox for making for some great moments
in the last week or two.

But since the 'Stros were way under .500 (the first such team
since I think the Boston Braves back in the 'teens), they have no
business winning the Big One.

They drag this thing on way too long as it is. Time was they'd be done already. You win the division pennant and then have to go through
ridiculous rounds with also-rans. Boo on the wild card!

The last time the 'Sox of Chicago made it there were
no such "divisions" and all the other excesses of the game..Ah,
1959..!

I can't believe how their pitching staff had all those complete games...
and former Yanks... :oops:

Colin's right: it's very typically American (or just early 20th century) to call
this US-only affair the "world series." But then if you want to play
the best baseball, players from all over the world do come to
play in this league, from Japan, Cuba, etc.

P.S. For Jeffrey..
He's the only gross thing about baseball? :roll:

P.P.S.
From the annual hazing of the rookie Yankees :
Creative Costume Company helped turn Yankee players into 'Elvis'. Rookies Brad Halsey, Dioner Navarro, Andy Phillips, Scott Proctor and Bubba Crosby are pictured.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:52 pm

I guess I am pulling for Houston, but I like the White Sox, too.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 pm

It really doesn't matter to me who wins. I just hope it's an exciting series. :D

I'm just ashamed of my hometown Atlanta Braves for blowing yet another post season series! :evil:

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:12 pm

Astros in 6.

By the way, Cali and the East Coast may not be involved, but Texas is the second most populous state. The ratings will be down because the amazing comeback, "curse of the Bambino" and Shilling story of the Red Sox are not involved this year, but the ratings won't be horrid.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:01 am

I actually think there's a good "story" from both teams, so it has
potential to be a great series!

I just wish they wouldn't have these 7-game series leading up to it.

There's something off about playing playing baseball right up to
November...! There'd be poetic justice if it snowed in Chicago...!

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:58 am

Eagle wrote:

I agree. The White Sox are a sentimental favorite to win. If ever there was a team more pathetic than the Red Sox when it comes to post season play, or lack of it, it's those guys. They've waited their turn.

Both of the Chicago baseball teams fit that category.

I'm originally from Chicago and am a Cubs fan, but i'll still root for the hometown team. Go Sox!!

RKS

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:47 am

I think the White Sox will win the first game!!
sue

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:04 pm

They did.

Tom

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:25 am

Tom,
Okay, this time I'll post it before the game is over!! If the question is: Will the Sox or Astros win?

The answer is yes!!

sue

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:41 am

It's all Sox so far. They are now 2-0.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:51 am

Another exciting win but the White Sox, once again, have the umpires on their side, just like the Divisional series. That ball clearly hit Dye's bat and Dye knew it or he wouldn't have stood at the plate. If it hit him or not, he would have headed for first base because it would have been ball four. If an umpire isn't quite sure, just look at the reaction of the batter. Bad call and bad judgement.
I'm not blaming the White Sox on this. They are a good team. But the bad umpiring throughout the playoffs and the WS have been hit and miss.

jeff R

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:12 pm

Jeffrey,
That was an awful call. Even Dye said after the game that it hit the bat, but he wasn't going to give up a free trip to first.

Tom

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Bad umping is almost part of the game. It's damned near
a tradition...So the Chisox won Game 2 fair and square.

Such calls usually even out eventually.

But I did read an article or two about why the umping is so
bad, dating back to the failed strike of years ago...

Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:58 pm

I live near Chicago.. F***ING HATE THE SOX

Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:08 pm

Every big city with two teams has such a divide.

I'm glad to know not all Chicagoland folks are hopping on the Soxwagon.

I take it you are a Cubs fan? I thought the Chisox were in fact
the gutsier, less cute team for you folks to root for..!

Besides, both are equally foreign to the Fall Classic! :lol:

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:19 pm

Actually the White Sox won three bad calls in the Divisional Series. The outcome of that series could have gone to the Angels. Three bad calls and they all went to the White Sox. Now, the first bad call of the World Series goes to the White Sox. After the pitch that hit the bat, who knows, maybe Dye would have struck out and the inning was over. Or, the next pitch would have been a ball and the same thing would have happened. Who knows?
The thing is is that the Sox have gotten all the bad calls to go their way. It's not their fault. It's just very unfair for the opposing teams.

jeff R

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:28 pm

As I said before, I really don't care who wins the series, provided the games are exciting. Sunday night's game was exciting in spite of the bad call.

One thing about the White Sox (as compared to the Cubs), at least they found a way to finally make it back to the series this year instead of finding a way to "choke and blow" the chance they were given.

I wish my Braves would follow that direction!

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:34 pm

Good points, Jeff. I hope the ump squad doesn't all have Chicago-area
roots.. :shock: .!

However, short of conspiracy (and the Chisox have that long lost heritage)
baseball always is imprecise ... The winners always have a mixture
of great talent (and often money); gumption, guts..and sheer
(repeated) good luck...

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:55 pm

It's not so much the team, it is the White Sox fans in my area drive me nuts, and now I will have to hear about it for the rest of my life..I hope they choke, but they will probably take it in 5.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:18 am

Is it time to get the broom out yet?