What DVD's are you buying this week?? So far, I've picked up:

Land Of The Dead: Unrated
Lifeboat-Special Edition
Tarzan-Special Edition
Adventures Of Superman: The Complete First Season
Batman Begins: Deluxe Edition
Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997
The Big Lebowski: Special Edition
The Twilight Zone: Season 4 (The Definitive Edition)
CSI: New York First Season
Tin Cup
Saw-Unrated

Next week, look for:

The Wizard of Oz-2 and 3 disc Special Editions
Titanic-Special Collector's Edition
Looney Tunes-Golden Collection-Volume Three
Tom and Jerry-Spotlight Collection-Volume Two
A Bridge Too Far-Special Edition
Battle of Britain-Special Edition

Tom

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:47 pm

1st season Superman looks good

are there vintage tv spots and commercials with it?

maybe the I Love Lucy episode for a very rare bonus? :roll:

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:50 pm

Queen On Fire Queen in concert
The Living Dead 3 disc set
Rumble Fish SE

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:40 am

Adventures Of Superman season 1
TZ Definitive season 4
Lifeboat special edition

jeff R

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:46 am

Got the Big Leboski disc today. I knew there weren't many extras but still found myself disappointed. The film looks great -- and is still funny as heck -- but calling this a "collector's edition" might be a little misleading to most people.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:54 am

Kung Fu First Season
Hee Haw volume 4 with guest Waylon Jennings

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:19 am

I picked up the Adventures of Superman. There are vintage ads for Kelloggs' cereal. There is a George Reeves short and a documentary plus "Superman Versus the Molemen" in its entirety.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:51 pm

I'll definitely be picking up Batman Begins. And if my kids don't soak me too bad for their Halloween costumes I'll probably get the 25th Anniversary Edition of The Jazz Singer. The movie took a critical lambasting, but I still liked it.
I haven't been able to locate the Dark Shadows Revival Series in any stores in my area.

The drawback to this dvd collecting is that I'm getting way behind in FTD's!

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:27 am

"Superman" is a bit of a disappointment. While most of the episodes look good, a few are mildly blurry and overrun with lines. I guess maybe the original negatives are lost with these as Warner usually does a class job on stuff like this.

The special features are a disappointment as well. The two audio commentaries I've heard so far consist of basically telling you what's happening in the episode with little dish. Far too much of "Oh, wow that's great" and "I loved this when I was a kid." The doc is flimsy and only provides the barebones of how the story reached the screen although there are some nice pointers about Reeve, the costume and how he flew. You learn nothing of how they found Phyllis Coates.

The Kellogg's commercials are good but there is only three of them.

The menus absolutely rock though. You start out with a picture of a vintage "Superman" and then it opens up "Adventures of Superman- Season One" with a picture of Reeves standing in the outfit with his hands on his hips. Then you go the actual menu which is set up like a page in a comic book with separate panels featuring what appear to be stills from the show. However, if you let it run each still turns into a little clip that leads to the next and they all tell a little miniature story that captures the heart of the series. It's really quite an invention.

It's also quite a boost to have the series itself on TV. Although, to me, Superman is a character that really thrives in color, this first season is my favorite of the show. Although it is on the cheap, many of the stories are very exciting and amazingly hard edged for such a family oriented character like Superman. As they point out in the doc, it's very much in the film noir/gangster tradition of the late '40s and it's far more crime oriented than Superman usually is. My favorite is "Mystery in Wax" which also has kind of a horror movie feel. This is the one where a woman makes sculptures of prominent people in the community (usually someone she has grudge against) and soon after.... they die. I also like, although it is one of the terrible prints, "The Stolen Costume" where a couple gets hold of Superman's outfit and tries to blackmail him for it. He leaves them on a mountaintop and they get killed trying to climb down.

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:35 pm

I ordered Batman Begins (Deluxe Edition) and Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 from Amazon.com. While I was there I also ordered Peter Guralnick's Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love in hardcover. I read the former several years ago, but I never got around to the sequel. I didn't have a problem facing facts, since the general outline of the facts is well-known, but in a way I didn't really want or need to know all the gritty details of Elvis' fall from grace either. There were several topics on here recently, however, that ignited a further interest in Elvis during the Sixties. This includes likethebike's topics about Elvis' interest (or lack thereof) in Motown and the slightly older topic about Elvis' absence from the Rock revolution between 1964 and 1967, as well as the recent Dylan documentary, which showed that there was such tremendous activity concerning Dylan's actions without any mention of Elvis. Hopefully Guralnick can shed some more light on what exactly was going on with Elvis during this time, a subject that has now reached a level of personal fascination.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:35 am

It's definitely worth reading. Guralnick's research shows that Elvis was not completely oblivious to the world at large during the 1960s. He enlightens about Elvis' spiritual quest (which Guralnick's research also sadly shows was largely spurred by his empty lifestyle) more than any previous author. And more than any previous author Guralnick tracks the road back for Elvis from the listening sessions that led to "How Great Thou Art" all the way through the comeback. Stuff like those listening sessions where Elvis really expanded his horizons gives you a deeper respect for his artistry. Guralnick's exploration of Elvis' early '60s work does the same thing. Who knew before Guralnick that Elvis did indeed try to write a song (although this information was first revealed in the liner notes of the 1960s set) for instance? And while Ernst's book showed some of the working process of "Memphis Tennessee" who knew the dedication that he lavished on that particular track.

Plus, there's great impressions from musicians who don't normally get interviewed. Jerry Scheff's utter amazement at seeing Elvis in a rehearsal for the first time is alone worth the price of admission.

Some have complained about Guralnick's focus on Elvis' drug plagued decline. However, I feel he portrays Elvis with great dignity. It's never that less clear during all those drug dazed shows that what we're witnessing is a tragedy because this is a great man. What is a tragedy after all but the story of a great man brought down by a fatal flaw? Now, I like many fans have much more of a preference for Elvis' 70s music than Guralnick who dismisses some fine stuff. And he does give Colonel Parker far too much of a pass (Curiously, he appears to have done the same thing to Sam Cooke's controversial later career manager Allen Klein in his Cooke bio.) Still the book is more than worthy of its subject and its predecessor.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:57 am

I just got the new Motley Crue Concert in DTS sound and it kicks ASSSS!!!!

These idiots that say that Crue has aged so bad are NUTS. They rocked, and it makes me wish I went and saw them so much more.

Vince supposedly has lost his voice. YEAH RIGHT. I knew it was a bunch of B.S.

I can't say enough how great the quality of the concert is. When I think of something like the Led Zeppelin compilation, I just shake my head.

Hippy improv vs well played sheer entertainment. God bless American rock. NUFF SAID!