Off Topic Messages

Andy Griffith Show Season 4 DVD

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:11 pm

A note for all my fellow Andy Griffith Show fans.

Season 4 will be released on November 22!!!!!!!! :D

Lets just hope they won't "edit" any of these fine episodes as they did on the Season 3 set.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:07 am

I've had my order infor a few weeks.
Just what did they edit in season 3?

jeff R

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:11 pm

- http://www.mayberrydvd.com/news/season_3.html

they cut out the Darlin concert Live at Robert E. Lee Natural Bridge.

plus the extra rants Barney made at the FBI award.
"We defy Castro! We defy the Taliban! We defy the Cabal! We defy the Illuminati! We defy...."

when Gomer introduces Goober, he does impersonations. (Cary Grant, Edgar G. Robinson) but he also did Elvis and Taloose Letrek. Those were cut out.

and omitted from the dvd, is Helen Crump's courthouse striptease.

and what about good ol' 14-B ?
On the dvd, we only get performances of good ol' 14-A !!!!!!!

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:13 pm

That is a lot of stuff cut out. It seems that everything you mentioned has to do with someone else (Castro, Cary Grant, Elvis) or music. Sounds like they couldn't or wouldn't get the copyright.
As far as the Castro bit and the striptease, do you think that they were afraid it would no longer seem like a family show?
This is really a sad thing to edit classic TV shows or films. I would much prefer if they find something that would not be accepted by today's viewers, do what Disney has done. On the Disney Treasures, Leonard Maltin explains that we have to look at these things as history and the times.
If this is the case, I wonder why they didn't cut out all the scenes where Andy is smoking.

jeff R

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:17 pm

omitted from the dvd, is Helen Crump's courthouse striptease.

Now that's a scene I must have! :lol:

As for editing the scenes of Andy smoking, if they did that they'd have to edit the scene of Barney smoking in the episode "Citizens Arrest". :lol:

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:09 pm

In all seriousness, the Mysterious Farmer/Andy Delivers Baby with William Shallert episode has a scene, in the squad car, spying on the farmer at night, where Barney mentions "marijuana" by name.

Andy: "So he's discing at night. Maybe it's too hot in the day"
Barney: "Or he's planting illegal things, like marijuana for instance."

(not verbatim dialogue, but close)

I've seen versions where that was left in, and versions where it's cut out.

------------------

another episode that gets edited:

Barney tries to coax a sleeping Otis to tell him where the moonshine is.

Otis, eyes closed, mumbles a big long list of states then an address. 411 Elm Street,"

Barney: "Let's go! Get the pick-axes!....thank you very muuuuuuch."

Andy: "Wait Barney don't that address seem awful familiar?"

Barney: "411 Elm? That's my house!"

Otis starts laughing.

--- at that point it gets cut to next scene sometimes, cutting the rest oif that scene out.