Gene Vincent

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

Guralnick reported that Scotty, Bill and DJ heard "Be Bop a Lula" on the car radio and were sure that Elvis recorded it behind their backs. They jumped all over him about it. Elvis explained that it was Vincent though. (Last Train to Memphis- Page 283).

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I'd forgotten that nugget from Guralnick!

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

With Kay Wheeler. She has good stories with Gene and ElvisImage

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

JLGB, Kay Wheeler is quite a lady. She sent us a CD about her romance with Elvis. Steaming:-)

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006
Registered for: 19 years

Post by Silver »

Fantastic picture of Gene with Kay Wheeler. Wonder how many knew that Gene ended up about the same weight (comparitively) as Elvis. I was really surprised that he had gained so much weight, when he was always rail thin.
sue

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Liverbobs »

My Dad's claim to fame is that Gene Vincent once pulled a knife on him !!
My Dad was a bouncer in the early 60's at the local Majestic Ballroom where most of the performers of that day played there, one night he went into Vincent's empty dressing room with a mate of his and was trying some of Gene's clobber on when in he walked just as my Dad was doing a Frank Sinatra inpression with gene's trilby for his mate, vincent saw him and out came the switchblade and the question "What the **** do you think you're doing with my stuff, man?" after a brief explanation Gene put the knife away and shook my Dad's hand!!.Apparantly he thought they were after something else that was tucked away in gene's trunk!!!!!
My Dad also introduced Billy Fury to my Mum, who says that's the reason she decided to marry him (My Dad, not Billy Fury!!)
The old fellar has loads of tales regarding that era but not many are printable!!!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years

gene vincent

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... JLGB, you could have mentioned this photo of Gene and Kay came from my book Growing Up With The Memphis Flash[ 1994] , page 172. A bit of positive publicity never hurts!

Juan Luis

Re: gene vincent

Post by Juan Luis »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... JLGB, you could have mentioned this photo of Gene and Kay came from my book Growing Up With The Memphis Flash[ 1994] , page 172. A bit of positive publicity never hurts!
My apologies to you Mr. Tallhair. :oops: I am a fan of yours and did not see your name! Just Wheelers.. I have 3 other books from you as well.

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

JLGB, The Flying Dutchman will be gracious I'm sure, it's his hallmark :wink:

Juan Luis

Re: gene vincent

Post by Juan Luis »

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... JLGB, you could have mentioned this photo of Gene and Kay came from my book Growing Up With The Memphis Flash[ 1994] , page 172. A bit of positive publicity never hurts!
Image :) :) :)