Who is best?

Queen
50%
Prince Phillip
50%

Total votes : 8

Queen vs. Prince Phillip

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:51 am

Hey! Thought I'd start another totally pointless poll / discussion to see if it can stretch (bore us) as long as the Queen vs Kiss thing has. (I've grown seven beards since that load of crap started.) This time it's Queen vs Prince Phillip. Which royal do you think rocks the most? Which one treats corgis the best? Which one is the most German?

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:43 am

Prince Phillip: who is this guy??

Re: Queen vs. Prince Phillip

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:53 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Which one is the most German?

Well Phillip is Greek :)

Re: Queen vs. Prince Phillip

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:08 am

TJ wrote:
Tits McGhee wrote:Which one is the most German?

Well Phillip is Greek :)

It doesn´t help me..... I really don´t have any idea who is this guy!!! :shock:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:39 pm

I think the Queen is WAYYYYYY cooler. I love "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Bohemian Rhapsody".

I wasn't even aware Prince Phillip had a band........ :wink:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Prince Philip will go down in the annals of history as the member of the Royal Family least afraid of speaking his mind. He voices his opinions on everything from the habits of foreign-exchange students to the inadequacies of electrical wiring. This has bought him a rather unenviable reputation for being blunt to the point of offence.

When visiting China in 1986, he told a group of British students, "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed".

After accepting a gift from a Kenyan native he replied "You are a woman, aren't you?"

"If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (1986)

To a British student in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten then?"

Asked a Scottish driving instructor, "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough for them to pass the driving test?"

On a visit to the new Welsh Assembly in Cardiff, he told a group of deaf children standing next to a Jamaican steel drum band, "Deaf? No wonder you are deaf standing so close to that racket."

He asked an Australian aborigine, "Still throwing spears?" (2002)

Said to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary, "You can't have been here that long – you haven't got a pot belly." (1993)

To the President of Nigeria, who was dressed in traditional Muslim robes, "You look like you're ready for bed!"

In 1996 he caused an outcry among gun law reformers when he said: "There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or tennis rackets or cricket bats."

He said of Canada: "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

In 1966 he provoked outrage by saying: "British women can't cook."

Commenting on stress counselling for servicemen in a TV documentary on the 50th Anniversary of D-Day, he said: "It was part of the fortunes of war. We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking `are you all right - are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?'. You just got on with it."

Personal remarks have annoyed singing stars. In 1969 The Duke said to Tom Jones after the Royal Variety Performance: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?". And at a private lunch given 30 years ago he said he thought Adam Faith's singing was like bath water going down a plug hole.

---------------

source British Embassy:

Both Queen Elizabeth II and also the Duke of Edinburgh have German ancestors. Prince Philip's mother was Princess Alice of Battenberg, and he is a direct descendant of Queen Victoria through her daughter Princess Alice (who married Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine). Prince Philip spent some time at school in Germany. Prince Philip's four sisters all married Germans and lived in Germany.

The enthusiasm of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert for the custom of the Christmas tree - a German tradition introduced by George III's wife Queen Charlotte - helped spread its popularity. Soon it found a permanent place in many households throughout England. At Christmas the royal family decorated the tree with sweets, figures, candles and cards that they had been sent. Victoria also observed the tradition of celebrating Christmas on 24th December (in Britain the presents are usually opened on 25th December). Today Queen Elizabeth II and her family still celebrate Christmas by exchanging and opening presents on 24th December.
Last edited by Melanie on Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:53 pm

Thanks for that Melanie. Too many of todays 'Politically Correct' brigade are too quick to jump down his throat the minute he opens his mouth, but I think his 'faux pas' are priceless! :D

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:13 pm

Agreed.
I just voted for him.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:54 pm

Yep...Phillip rules...heh heh...get it? :lol:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:03 pm

"Prince Phillip: who is this guy??"

This is a guy who has`nt done an honest days work in his whole bloody life, thats who he is !

I`d like to see them both kick the s$$t out of each other........literrally !!!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:30 pm

I voted for Prince Philip because I don't know anything about Queen. If she wasn't with Elvis, I don't know her!! And he did marry Camilla, whom he should have to begin with and avoided the scandals. But then of course, they wouldn't have a successor. Well, who needs a successor? The monarchy has outlived its usefulness. Has it ever been useful? Well, if not, I should have voted for Queen (whom I don't know, but must have done something useful.)
sue

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:41 pm

silver wrote:I voted for Prince Philip because I don't know anything about Queen. If she wasn't with Elvis, I don't know her!! And he did marry Camilla, whom he should have to begin with and avoided the scandals. But then of course, they wouldn't have a successor. Well, who needs a successor? The monarchy has outlived its usefulness. Has it ever been useful? Well, if not, I should have voted for Queen (whom I don't know, but must have done something useful.)
sue

Great post!!!!! :wink:

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:49 pm

Yeah I only spotted the irony, when Sue wrote that Prince Philip married Camilla and not Prince Charles. :D

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:37 pm

You have to remember I wrote this at about 7 am, California time, because I couldn't sleep all night. However, having said that, I probably would have put Phillip anyway!! My forte is not history, geography!! As far as I'm concerned the royal family IS history!!! LOL :lol: :lol:
sue

Plus, Prince Phillip (the real one) hasn't done much either, has he? Remember, I wouldn't know!!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:41 pm

I can just imagine Phil the Greek on this site! He'd have a few things to say about the jumpsuit loons. Kate Bush, anyone?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:51 pm

There is an election coming up in November here in California. I was thinking about my uninformed vote for Phillip/Queen. If everyone voted in this manner, knowing nothing about the choices, we'd be in BIG trouble. Uh-oh, I think we are in BIG TROUBLE!!!!
sue