Off Topic Messages

What is the most reason that made ELVIS popular?

Singing - Versatile Voice
81%
Moves - Choreography
No votes
Charm - Good Looks
5%
Publicity - News
No votes
The Movies
14%

Total votes : 21

What is the most reason that made ELVIS popular?

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:00 pm

NEW POLL HERE

We are looking for the most reason that made Elvis loved by fans. I vote for his unique moves when singing. Only he can do it better.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:16 pm

stvll -

Well, you perhaps need an 'all the above' option !

But the biggest influence on his initial breakthrough was timing !

After the bleak, grey years of the immediate post-war period, young people were just starting to get a bit of money in their pockets by the mid-fifties.

Record players and films were gaining in popularity and there was even a new music around, just for the young.

But though the sound of it was exciting, the performers weren't !

They were too old, too ugly to become rock 'n' roll idols.

We needed someone young, energetic, anti-establishment, and sexy; just like the new music !

We needed someone to speak for a whole generation !

We needed Elvis !

There simply wasn't anyone else around who so exactly fitted the bill !

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:35 pm

All options and something else....

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:15 pm

As Colin said, Elvis was the fix that the teenagers craved in the fifties which is why the looks and image and promotional skills of Tom Parker played a vital role. Ultimately, however, his voice would prove to be the main reason for his staying power.

We have an 'All Elvis' section for posts like this. :D :wink:

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:19 pm

Nobody really knew what he looked like when Dewey Phillips first played That's All Right on his radio show and was then inundated with requests for repeat spins.

The Brits didn't really know how he moved until they got Love Me Tender. But they had already been buying the records!

It's the voice. It's what has kept him going after all these years.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:49 pm

Pete -

You wrote:
Nobody really knew what he looked like when Dewey Phillips first played That's All Right on his radio show and was then inundated with requests for repeat spins.

No, but it wasn't until the tv shows that he hit the big time on a national scale.

And:
The Brits didn't really know how he moved until they got Love Me Tender. But they had already been buying the records!

Well, we'd seen the photos and read about his stage act !

It was the complete Elvis package coming at just the right time, which made him the huge international icon and superstar that he became.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:20 am

Pete Dube wrote:Nobody really knew what he looked like when Dewey Phillips first played That's All Right on his radio show.

You're right. As a matter of fact, many people thought he was black.

First they were attracted to his music. Then they saw him. Damn! He's good looking!

Then they saw/heard him sing. Then they saw the moves.

Totally different to anything they were used to.

Elvis was in the right place at the right time and made the most of it.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:04 am

Charisma should also be a choice. Timing did play a big role in Elvis' ascent and not just as a symbol of youth culture. Black and white were on the verge of intermingling really for the first time in public and Elvis' music was the best vehicle for that marriage. The culture of conformity and McCarthyism was so stifling at the time as well. That Elvis was so radically different in almost every aspect of the conventional male singer/hero made him seem almost shocking. Different hair, different name, different approach to singing and sound. His blatant sexuality also came out at the right time.

However, beyond all that though (much of which is hard to appreciate for those who didn't live through it) I think the real key to his enduring popularity and the reason he inspires such absolute fanaticism is his unique ability to convey emotion in song. Not everyone gets it but he puts the people who do get it on the floor. It makes you tremble. It cuts to the core of your being. I can't explain it but that's what so many people when they hear his songs. His voice is only part of it. There are a lot of great voices. His phrasing etc. is also only a part of it. Were it simply the way he turned a phrase everybody would do it.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:34 pm

There definitely should be an "All of the Above" option.

BTW stvll, why is it that whenever I see your username I want to spin a wheel and buy a vowell?? :wink:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:07 pm

Scatter wrote:BTW stvll, why is it that whenever I see your username I want to spin a wheel and buy a vowell?? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gimme an S for $200... :wink:

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Colin is right - Elvis is All of the Above and more!! As I said in another post, he is a masterpiece going to be worth much much more as he is established in history! He is mentioned practically every day even 28 years after his leaving the building.
sue

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:43 pm

I got hooked to the voice i.e. the singing. Did not understand one word because at the time I did not speak any English.
Only after I had bought several records I saw a photo of Elvis and later on bits and pieces were on TV. Only since 1963 when I started working (at the age of 15) I was able to go to the cinema and see his movies, if they were not age restricted, like Jailhouse rock and King Creole.