Off Topic Messages

US Tourists In The UK

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 am

Regular readers may have [mistakenly] noticed an anti-US slant in some of my posts recently.

So I'm happy to report the following:

There is a commonly held idea that US tourists are the first to stop visiting 'trouble-spots' and the last to return.

But statistics just revealed show that US visitors to London for 2005 are up on 2004 !

It seems that the downturn in the numbers of customers for the various London attractions is due to UK visitors staying away !

So I raise my hat to those doughty Americans, who haven't let little things like a few bombs put them off !

Well done, guys !

Re: US Tourists In The UK

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:48 am

ColinB wrote:So I raise my hat to those doughty Americans, who haven't let little things like a few bombs put them off !

I think it's because we're already accustomed to minor inconveniences such as that. Remember that Oklahoma City, Washington and New York are on our side of the pond.

We do appreciate the hospitality from you folks though.
Last edited by Rob on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:05 am

England is a cool place - tho I've never been but would like to.

I want to see:

castles
crop circles
Carfax Abbey
Abbey Road
MI5/MI6
Universal Exports
The Cavern Club
a Buckingham Palace Guard...smile.
the infamous East End where JTR was
the 221 Baker Street Irregulars
Bennie Hill run thru town chased by bimbos!
the police station where Elvis played cards
the port where Elvis got on that ship that blew up
basically all the places where "Double Trouble" was shot

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:08 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:basically all the places where "Double Trouble" was shot

What I want to know is......is the body of that poor guy still lying down in that well? (or whatever it is)

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:13 am

Rob wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:basically all the places where "Double Trouble" was shot

What I want to know is......is the body of that poor guy still lying down in that well? (or whatever it is)

Rob, he survived...but was so bitter and angry and hideous, he stayed down there, still roaming the sewer system under London.

He's known as Phantom Of The Loo

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:14 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:England is a cool place - tho I've never been but would like to.

I want to see:

castles
Carfax Abbey
Abbey Road
MI5/MI6
Universal Exports
The Cavern Club
the infamous East End where JTR was
the 221 Baker Street Irregulars
Bennie Hill run thru town chased by bimbos
the police station where Elvis played cards
the port where Elvis got on that ship that blew up
basically all the places where "Double Trouble" was shot

Just so you aren't disappointed.........

Benny Hill is long gone.

You don't have to leave the US to see the Double Trouble locations !
[And that police station wasn't London anyway; neither was the well, was it ?]

Actually, there is a 221b Baker Street, but it's the head office of some bank or other.

You can walk across that famous Zebra crossing in Abbey Road.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:19 am

Yes, it was filmed in the U.S.

The Colonel wasn't about to let Elvis go abroad!

Sorry, I'm digressing. Back to the originally scheduled topic.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:35 am

by the way guys,

i do know all along that "Trouble Double" wasn't filmed in the UK

:!:

"Scarum Harum" was the only film he made overseas; shot in Iraqistan.

:roll:

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:33 pm

When i was taking someone on a tour of my country,the folk from the usa i met and spoke to,came to london then jumped on another plane to scotland.
(what happend in the underground etc)

Then i shouted,LOOK,NESSIE...but they were to slow in turning around,they had a ton of cameras round there neck.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:30 pm

While Double Trouble wasn't filmed in England, my sources tell me Elvis was fond of an underground British movie entitled "Double D? No Trouble" and had Cilla recreate quite a few scenes from that classic.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:38 pm

Well I know that the UK would at least be second on my stops(Germany being first) if I ever make it to Europe.

I am sure that it would be an elightening experience.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:05 pm

genesim wrote:Well I know that the UK would at least be second on my stops(Germany being first) if I ever make it to Europe.

I am sure that it would be an elightening experience.

Now that choice surprises me, unless you have relations there...here in the UK we can compete any day with the lederhosen....just ask Kev to give you skirl on the bagpipes and a twirl in his kilt :shock: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Well perhaps if German "dies" then the UK will be next in line. :wink: As it stands....it is the beer that calls me. :twisted:

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:59 pm

genesim wrote:Well perhaps if German "dies" then the UK will be next in line. :wink: As it stands....it is the beer that calls me. :twisted:

Try some Newcastle Brown Ale .....then.....a wee dram of a fine malt like Inverleven :D :wink:

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:57 pm

Colin:

I think you'll find that 221b Baker Street is the Sherlock Holmes museum. The Abbey National Bank headquarters is a little further down the road. Incidentally, Baker Street is also home to the Elvisly Yours shop and some Beatles shop right next door.

Further down, on the south side of Marylebone Road, on the corner of Paddington Street is the building which was at one time The Beatles' Apple Boutique. Now I believe it is a Deep Pan Pizza restaurant or some such thing.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:00 am

ColinB wrote:Regular readers may have [mistakenly] noticed an anti-US slant in some of my posts recently.

Are you still bitter over that little squable we had back in 1776?

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:30 am

Big Boss Man wrote:
ColinB wrote:Regular readers may have [mistakenly] noticed an anti-US slant in some of my posts recently.

Much earlier BBM..lol :D :wink:

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:24 am

BBM -

You wrote:

Even I can't remember that far back.

It's the antics of the Bush administration that I find tiring.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:31 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Universal Exports

to visit Miss Jane Moneypenny?
or the real Universal Export ?

What about the other London hotspots for 007 literary and film action, plus locations from the legacy of Ian Fleming?

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:02 pm

Stephen -
Colin: I think you'll find that 221b Baker Street is the Sherlock Holmes museum. The Abbey National Bank headquarters is a little further down the road.

Well, I'm sure it used to be a bank.

Maybe the museum has 'borrowed' the address for obvious reasons.

I remember an argument with a work colleague once, over whether Sherlock was a fictional character or a real one.

He reckoned he must be real, because he'd visited his home in Baker Street once !

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:58 am

Well, I was so looking forward to one day visiting England but then Colin had to unceremoniously rain on my parade by informing me that there are no longer any cockney-accented matchstick girls, no more fog-filled, gaslit, cobble-stoned streets, no more colorful Dickensian characters. Dammit! Is Big Ben still even there? And the Tower of London? Is the heather still on the moors (with the ghosts of Heathcliffe and Cathy)? And Stonehenge? And Hadrian's wall? And ...... :)

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:48 am

ColinB wrote:It's the antics of the Bush administration that I find tiring.

It's almost over. Only three more years.

Tony Blair will miss him when he's gone though.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:21 am

Rob wrote:
ColinB wrote:It's the antics of the Bush administration that I find tiring.

It's almost over. Only three more years.

Tony Blair will miss him when he's gone though.

He'll outlast our Tony, then !

Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Fun In Acapulco was filmed in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro...

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:33 am

[quote="Pete Dube"]Well, I was so looking forward to one day visiting England but then Colin had to unceremoniously rain on my parade by informing me that there are no longer any cockney-accented matchstick girls, no more fog-filled, gaslit, cobble-stoned streets, no more colorful Dickensian characters. Dammit! Is Big Ben still even there? And the Tower of London? Is the heather still on the moors (with the ghosts of Heathcliffe and Cathy)? And Stonehenge? And Hadrian's wall? And ...... :)[/
Pete,
London is now becoming "Londonista" as a vital part of "Eurabia." In other words it's being overrun with the unwashed Muslim invaders.

The Swamp Fox
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The Republic of South Carolinaquote]