Off Topic Messages

Led Zeppelin DVD

Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:47 pm

Just got this dvd the other day. What a great release!?? What if we received these kind of dvd compillations of Elvis material?? I doubt it will happen though. :(

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:59 pm

I agree this 2DVD set is amazing. I ordered my copy from Amazon DE (Germany) which has a much lower price than here in Belgium (difference of about 17 euro). The 2cd set "How the West was Won" is also dynamite!

Led Zeppelin were probably the best live rock band ever, next to The Who (check out their "Live at Leeds" S.E. 2cd and their DVD "Live at the Isle of Wight", that is in dire need of DD 5.1 & DTS Surround Sound, 2-channel PCM stereo upgrading; still a great visual document though).

These Zep releases have been a long time coming, and it's a dream come true, not just for lifelong fans, but for anyone interested in or moved by
classic rock music. Plant is the best rock singer ever, together with Jim Morrison, in my point of view anyway. I'm excluding Elvis, because he is in a class of his own (like I don't compare Jimi Hendrix with other rock guitarists either). :) Elvis' charisma and talent is unique.

Imagine a 2DVD set of "Elvis On Tour", the complete filmed concerts and off-stage footage... That's the advantage of DVD: they can put a lot of stuff on a mere two discs. Eventually it will all come out, I only hope I'm still young enough to enjoy it by then. :roll: ...

Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:16 am

There are really a lot of great rock and roll singers out there in my point of view.

The acoustic set from Earls Court ยด75 is worth the price alone! Great stuff and almost crystal clear picture quality, amazing!

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:10 am

Thanks for the info on this guys...
I was looking at it in the store the other day,plus I had seen the ad for it on T.V a few days ago..
Sounds like it's worth getting...

Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:13 pm

Go get it! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:45 pm

James27 wrote:I agree this 2DVD set is amazing ... Plant is the best rock singer ever, together with Jim Morrison, in my point of view anyway. I'm excluding Elvis, because he is in a class of his own ...

James, that's unfair to both Robert and Elvis -- I'll leave Jimbo out of this. Plant isn't even the best <u>British</u> rock singer ever, that prize belongs to Mr. John Lennon, MBE.

At his best, Elvis Presley is the greatest rock and roll singer, period. No exclusions necessary.

Although I can live without 25 minute live versions of "Moby Dick" -- there's a nice little snooze-fest -- I've heard nothing but superlatives about the Led Zeppelin DVD, sourced from mid-seventies video and audio.

It is a shame we cannot get the similar treatment done on Elvis -- from any era. Only "Elvis'56" comes close.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:05 am

Lennon the best British rock vocalist ever...? That was funny, though I respect your view. :wink:

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:44 pm

This Led Zeppelin 2-DVD-set is great. Also great is the DVD of Roxette (The complete video clips) which has as a bonus some TV programms plus a "tour" film. And then I am not even talking about the "Hullabaloo" DVD's. Or the "Moulin Rouge" movie DVD.
These DVD's last long, have tons of extra's and are normal priced. With Elvis you get DVD's with a short playing time, no extra's and a full price.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:09 pm

Well, you can't argue on tastes, DJC. I always considered Jim Morrison a fabulous rock singer, who had an amazing ability to sing rock, blues and pop songs convincingly. Anyone who listenes to live versions of "Little Red Rooster", "Back Door Man", "Light My Fire" or "Five to One" can testify to the spellbinding effect he had on his audience. It's not so much his technical ability, but more how he projects himself to the audience.
Nowhere more doubtless than on the great BMR live releases (The Doors' superb fan label, similar to FTD).

A very strong rock entertainer indeed, capable of taking the crowd on his trip, backed with superb musicians: any other rock musician from the 60s and beyond will argue Manzarek, Krieger, Densmore were in a class of their own, better than The Stones. Agreed, Jim could be silly and self-indulgent at times, but on a good night he gave you an experience you'd never forget.

Plant is the only singer who can sound like an angry man, seductive woman, blues hound and Tasmanian Devil all in one song. That's quite an achievement. He had the charisma on stage in the 70s like Morrison had it in the 60s. Contrary to Jim, Robert didn't self-destruct. Good for him. :)

Elvis I would call the best and most important rock singer of the 2nd half of the 20th century. True, he popularized rock 'n roll on a global scale like no one else, but afterwards he developed himself into something more, a pop singer. That was always what he really wanted to be, from the first day he started rehearsing and recording at the Sun Studio. Some never forgave him for that, but in doing that his worldwide appeal to mainstream audiences only grew and grew, up until this day.

There's only one other pop singer who was in his league: Frank Sinatra.

for more references:

http://biblio.vub.ac.be/cgi-bin/Mcgi?Cg ... AME.66.8.2