Off Topic Messages

McCartney on Paying MJ to Play Songs He Wrote

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:53 pm

I write the songs
Paul McCartney is not looking to buy the rights to the Beatles’ catalogue of music from Michael Jackson — despite widespread reports to the contrary. He does, admit, however, that it’s “annoying” to have to pay for the rights to perform the songs he co-wrote when he plays them in the U.S.

When word came out that Jackson was hoping to sell the tunes to help pay off some of his debt, several of McCartney’s friends, including rocker Bono, urged him to snap them up. But McCartney isn’t taking their advice.

“The thing is, I get some money from the publishing already. It’s not like I’m getting nothing at the moment,” McCartney tells the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone. “And in a few years, more of the rights automatically revert to me. The only annoying thing is, when I tour in America, I have to pay to play some of my own songs. But I don’t think about that. Because if I did, it would be [bleeping] annoying. “
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:33 pm

The funny thing is that Paul is the one that told MJ that is was good to buy up other artists cataloge/publishing(very lucrative)... because Paul had bought the Buddy Holly rights... I wonder if Paul is so torn up about doing the same thing?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:34 pm

I think the "P.S." for Paul in his advice, was "buy the catalog
of a dead artist (like Buddy Holly), not a living one...and certainly
not mine..."
ImageNice picture sleeve.. :roll:

To say nothing of going after the daughter of one of those
rock legends... :shock: :roll: :evil:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:36 pm

Yeah, it does seem strange to own Buddy Holly's catalogue but not your own. With all the money McCartney has, why wouldn't he buy them? Seems very odd to me. Unless, of course, no one can meet what Jacko wants for them.
I can't see that Buddy Holly is making any money for McCartney when they don't do any justice by releasing them.

jeff R