Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:11 pm

I'm not really a fan, but I sure wish the RCA label would give
Elvis fans the deluxe album treatment like this new package:

He was born to run, but grew to do much more
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... 0527c.html
Wednesday, October 5th, 2005, by
David Hinckley, (New York) Daily News
Edited version:
When Columbia Records confirmed last week it will release a 30th anniversary CD/DVD package of Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run," it doubtless sparked a familiar cry in some corners of Bruce-land: "Finally! The Real Bruce again!"
It's a sentiment Springsteen has been hearing ever since he followed his anthemic "The River" album and tour with 1982's quiet, reflective "Nebraska."

Specifically, the "Born to Run" package will include a remastered copy of the record, a DVD of a previously unreleased 1975 show at London's Hammerstein Odeon, and a 90-minute DVD documentary on the making of "BTR."

It's a holiday feast for fans, and releasing it for gift-buying season makes, as usual with Bruce, perfect marketing sense.

But this set would sell no matter when it was released, and the fact he doesn't mind pitting his latest incarnation against his almost mythic younger self says a lot of things, all good, about his self-assurance as an artist.
One doesn't get that same sense of confidence in the Elvis legacy.... :!:

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:29 pm

The reason is that Elvis' catalogue is managed by the same hacks that continue to make his recording legacy a joke. Even though technically his catalogue is now part of Sony Music, the people behind Springsteen's catalogue and album releases have nothing to do with the company's Elvis product. Springsteen was and is an album artist, his catalogue is managed with that in mind, and of course he also has creative control. The people at BMG see Elvis as an icon that produced hits, so their method of producing albums is to soley focus on hits and theme compilations. They are in it for the quick buck, they spend little to no time coming up with ways to creatively secure Elvis' recording legacy. They are happy to have his recording legacy in total disarray with no orginization. 'History'? What a joke that release is going to be. The general consumer is going to throw down at least $30 U.S. dollars for 3 discs of Presley tunes? It is hard to see that. Is it much different than their 3cd Artist Of The Century package from a few years back? Those fools are insane. That is why they produced ELV1S 30 Number One Hits a couple years back, to appeal to the general public. Now they are putting out some lame 3 cd reissue of material? Who is this really aimed at? Do they even know themselves? This is the creative drive behind Elvis Presley's catalgue: 'History'. What a joke. Thank goodness BMG lets Ernst continue to produce FTD releases, that is all the real Elvis fan has to look forward to. Yes, so Springsteen has a cool release coming out, and the format would be great for an Elvis release of some kind. Well, there are also plenty of other great formats and ideas that could be used for Elvis releases as well, but Elvis fans and consumers will never see it because the people who manage the Elvis catalogue at BMG have their heads stuck up their asses. So sad.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:59 am

One of the differences is that Bruce is very much an album artist and his career milestones are considered in those terms. If there was a similar project for Elvis, how would it take shape? If we take From Elvis in Memphis as a pivotal album, where's the professionally filmed show to neatly accompany it? It could be argued that the Memphis Sessions have received deluxe treatment already with the Suspicious Minds album. As for other key periods, such as the Sun Sessions, we have had more than one superb release to mark these pivotal recordings and another deluxe box set on the way. Yes we won't have a concert to go with it, as with the Born to Run release, but that's because there isn't one to use. With the wealth of material we are getting via FTD, including the special releases such as Flashback and the extended original albums with outtakes, we as fans sometimes don't seem to know how lucky we are. I don't think that fans of any other artist are getting access to several releases a year of unreleased material. This looks to be a superb release for Springsteen fans, but I'd rather have a regular supply of quality material than a very occasional superlative release.

None of that excuses HitStory of course :)

Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:20 am

Born to Run has only been released once, so a deluxe edition is really something special. Most of Elvis' catalog has been issued and re-issued and re-issued until no one really gives a crap.

Tom

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:10 am

midnightx wrote:The reason is that Elvis' catalogue is managed by the same hacks that continue to make his recording legacy a joke. Even though technically his catalogue is now part of Sony Music, the people behind Springsteen's catalogue and album releases have nothing to do with the company's Elvis product. Springsteen was and is an album artist, his catalogue is managed with that in mind, and of course he also has creative control. The people at BMG see Elvis as an icon that produced hits, so their method of producing albums is to soley focus on hits and theme compilations. They are in it for the quick buck, they spend little to no time coming up with ways to creatively secure Elvis' recording legacy. They are happy to have his recording legacy in total disarray with no orginization. 'History'? What a joke that release is going to be. The general consumer is going to throw down at least $30 U.S. dollars for 3 discs of Presley tunes? It is hard to see that. Is it much different than their 3cd Artist Of The Century package from a few years back? Those fools are insane. That is why they produced ELV1S 30 Number One Hits a couple years back, to appeal to the general public. Now they are putting out some lame 3 cd reissue of material? Who is this really aimed at? Do they even know themselves? This is the creative drive behind Elvis Presley's catalgue: 'History'. What a joke. Thank goodness BMG lets Ernst continue to produce FTD releases, that is all the real Elvis fan has to look forward to. Yes, so Springsteen has a cool release coming out, and the format would be great for an Elvis release of some kind. Well, there are also plenty of other great formats and ideas that could be used for Elvis releases as well, but Elvis fans and consumers will never see it because the people who manage the Elvis catalogue at BMG have their heads stuck up their asses. So sad.

Great post man... :wink:

...And soooo true :!: :evil:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:26 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote: Most of Elvis' catalog has been issued and re-issued and re-issued until no one really gives a crap.

sad but true

Deluxe DVD/CD: Why Not Elvis' albums :?:

the music community kisses Sprinsteen's ass like he's The Ultimate Artist.

whereas, ahem, :roll: Elvis never had a "great album"

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Again, not a big fan but I respect the guy, save maybe that pandering
"41 Shots" song...He's quite pro-Elvis too. How many other artists
you dislike have tried to crash Graceland to meet Elvis in the '70s and
publically praise "Follow That Dream"...? :D

RCA should position Elvis
as the legend he is and as other labels do with acts like Bruce,
McCartney, Dylan, Miles Davis, Sinatra, etc.

If you notice, a lot of the bonus Bruce material is only loosely connected
to the album. With some creativity, you could hobble together
plenty on say, "Elvis is Back." Interviews and photos , footage
from '60 and a tight focus ...Same for "From Elvis in Memphis,"
etc.

I've already seen import DVDs that do similar work.

Tom is right. Elvis fatigue is setting in with these phony-baloney
"new" releases of the same old songs. Elvis fans are to blame, I say,
at least in good part. Too many of us "melt" on any disc with a new photo
on the cover. C'mon, discipline.

Besides, what are you ...a bunch of teenage girls...? :shock:

Btw, Nice responses, guys! I should have made this on the regular Elvis
board, come to think of it.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:02 pm

I got Springsteen Fatigue - just tired of hearing about him

(not hearing him, but hearing about him; the hype gets old.)

his contributions to the soundtracks of Jerry Maguire and Copland are good tunes.

but puhleeze people, on the bruce-this bruce-that ad naueseum ---

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:29 pm

I do think a little Bruce goes a long way... :wink:

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:24 pm

I didn't buy Peace In The Valley or Christmas Peace or any of the other regurgitations. Amazing Grace and If Every Day Was Like Christmas are in my view the definitive sets, and anything beyond these are non-essential purchases. Now, I can see having 1 Gospel and 1 Christmas compilation for the general public consumer that doesn't want to have every track Elvis recorded in these respective genres. But there have been a number of these released, just as there are hits compilations and things like Love songs. And yet some of you folks keep shelling out the bucks for these things. Stop buying them, and BMG will stop putting them out. I'm not talking about Elvis At Sun (which I still haven't got, I'll probably wait for the Sun box), or the 50's album upgrades (haven't got these yet either). Those are the types of quality releases BMG should be promoting to the general public (along with Elvis Is Back! I don't care what anybody says, EIB! should be in the mass market). I didn't buy Artist of the Century. Why should I? I already had this material on the 3 box sets. I did buy Elv1s 30 #1's and Second To None because of the improved sound. I would even buy a third cd in this series, but I'm not buying Hitstory.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:30 pm

[Pete Dube" wrote: ]I didn't buy Peace In The Valley Image
Well, I was surprised they did this so soon afterwards but I did like
the additional gospel disc. You can get it cheap.

Elvis At Sun
(which I still haven't got, I'll probably wait for the Sun box)

For under ten bucks, you can own this sucker. Phenomenal.
Even still, it had a new cover, new notes. Why?

the 50's album upgrades (haven't got these yet either)
Well, the 2005 sound is damned good as you've heard! Kevan Budd!

Artist of the Century. Why should I?

I wasn't even buying Elvis as a rule in '99 and missed this.
I agree, although when I saw it used I have to say the packaging and
notes was quite interesting. Even the single disc sampler which
I found cheap used is one of the best single disc samplers because,
like the full set, it puts key "fan favorites" on par with songs that
charted..

Overall, I share your disgust, though!