Off Topic Messages

Ronnie Barker has died!!

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:29 pm

A great loss to British Comedy! One of the all time greats.

He was 76. R.I.P. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4307216.stm

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:15 pm

Delboy -

What sad news.

We've plenty to remember him by:

Porridge

Open All Hours

The Two Ronnies

RIP Ronnie.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:26 pm

Indeed, what a massive loss to British comedy. To my mind, he was one of the top 5 all-time greatest British comedians, alongside Peter Sellers, John Cleese - that calibre of comedian. Who can forget the classic "four candles" sketch - the Two Ronnie's equivalent of Monty Python's Parrot sketch.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:27 pm

He was getting back with Ronnie Corrbet for some shows on the BBC.

He is,was and always will be the GUV.

Rest in peace....

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:17 pm

R I P Ronnie.

8)

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:28 pm

I grew up on The Two Ronnies, Porridge and Open All Hours. The smiles he brought to me while I was growing up are incalculable. Thank you Mr Barker, may choirs of angels sing you to your rest.

Jules

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:43 pm

Very sad news, one of the all time greatest funny men

R.I.P. Fletch

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:32 pm

Tributes have been paid to Ronnie Barker, one of Britain's best loved TV comics, following his death after a long period of heart trouble.

Ronnie Corbett has paid tribute to his comedy partner Ronnie Barker. Corbett said of his long-time friend and colleague: "Ronnie was pure gold in triplicate: as a performer, a writer and a friend. We worked together since 1965 and we never had a cross word. It was 40 years of harmonious joy, nothing but an absolute pleasure. I will miss him terribly, but he
went out on a lift."

The veteran performer's show The Two Ronnies was described as "one of the great television partnerships" by broadcaster and chat-show host Michael Parkinson.

Paying tribute to Barker he told BBC News 24: "He was very shy. A man uneasy with the fame that came with the job. A man who liked to observe in the shade, he reminded me of Alex Guinness in that sense. You were never quite aware of him in a social occasion, he didn't like them but, my word, when he stood centre stage you better watch him."

Michael Hurll, producer of The Two Ronnies, told the BBC: "There was a rhythm to a joke and he was able to show us how that worked. It worked every time. With Ronnie Barker you felt safe. The whole family could watch, granny and the kids. You didn't have to worry that anything rude was going to be said and you knew you would laugh. Ronnie Barker meant to comedy in this country, laughs, big laughs and laughs that you will always remember."

Comedian Bruce Forsyth said: "Ronnie Barker was irreplaceable. He was a terrific actor and he also had a very quick brain. He was always looking for the laugh."

David Jason, who rose to fame playing Granville alongside Barker in Open All Hours, is said to be "absolutely shocked and distressed". His agent, Meg Poole, said she spoke to Jason last night when he had just heard the news and he was still too distraught to speak.

John Cleese, who began his comedy career with Barker in the 1960s comedy series The Frost Report, described him as "a warm, friendly and encouraging presence to have when I started in television" and "a great comic actor to learn from".

Peter Kay said: "He made me laugh so much and I'm just so lucky to have been able to get to know my hero and the person that I aspire to be."

Comedian Eric Sykes said: "It's a very sad day. I've always admired him, not only for the way he writes, but also the way he acts, which is beautiful in Open all Hours, Porridge and The Two Ronnies. Everything he did had a very evocative ring, of something great. Not only that, he kept it all to himself. He never sought the limelight, but let people judge him for his work. He had a gift. He worked very hard but you don't get that good unless you are extremely gifted."

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:12 pm

I always enjoyed "Open all hours". Have not seen the other shows mentioned except bits and pieces of "The two Ronnies" when shown in programms that showed old clips.
(Only since cable was introduced here in Rotterdam I could get BBC1 and BBC2 which in the infant stages of cable was poor screen quality if the weather interfered with the signal).

Other shows I enjoyed were Bread, Brush strokes and some other series the main character starred in, Goodnight sweetheart, My hero, Wogan, Kilroy ( a great way to learn English ) and the early years of Eastenders. Where have these great shows gone to? These days there is nothing interesting on BBC1 and BBC2.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:43 am

Just watched the tribute on BBC1,what a great talent and what
a fine person.He wanted to be remembered as someone who
made people laugh,there is no doubt he has achieved that for
generations of people.

norrie

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:43 am

Fork Handles.

What a giant talent.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:20 am

Hey, we lost Nipsey Russell over the weekend. Does this count??

Tom

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:16 am

It's pretty hard to beat British comedy !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:51 am

From the files of 'The Two Ronnies' :D

And now a sketch featuring Ronnie Corbett, whose wife thinks he’s the salt of the earth. That’s why she keeps him in the cellar.

And in a packed programme tonight, I shall be having a word with a man who goes in for meditation because he thinks it’s better than sitting around doing nothing.

And we had hoped to have been bringing you Arthur The Human Chameleon but this afternoon he crawled across a tartan rug and died of exhaustion.

But first, the news: The House of Commons was sealed off today after police chased an escaped lunatic through the front door during Prime Minister’s question time. A spokesman at Scotland Yard said it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Many old music hall fans were present at the funeral today of Fred “Chuckles” Jenkins, Britain’s oldest, unfunniest comedian. In tribute, the vicar read out one of Fred’s jokes and the congregation had two minutes’ silence.

At London’s Heathrow, senior customs officer Seaforth Mumbly retired today. He shook hands with passengers passing through the customs and confiscated a gold watch for himself.

The search for the man who terrorises nudist camps with a bacon slicer goes on. Inspector Lemuel Jones had a tip-off this morning, but hopes to be back on duty tomorrow.

We interrupt this programme for a special bulletin: The Metropolitan police today denied that prisoners in their custody are excessively pampered. This follows yesterday’s report that a man was hustled out of New Scotland Yard with an electric blanket over his head.

Following the dispute with the domestic servants’ union at Buckingham Palace today, the Queen, a radiant figure in a white silk gown and crimson robe, swept down the main staircase and through the hall. She then dusted the cloakroom and vacuumed the lounge.

Solomon F Potts, America’s most persistent practical joker, was buried today. He’s not dead, it’s just the neighbours getting their own back.

This kitchen appliance completely replaces the milkman – unless you’re the woman at 14 Catbury Drive with the green door.

The man who invented the zip fastener was today honoured with a lifetime peerage. He will now be known as the Lord of the Flies.

The toilets at a local police station have been stolen. Police say they have nothing to go on.

In a packed programme tonight we will be talking to an out-of-work contortionist who says he can no longer make ends meet.

Have you heard the one about the retired general who said he had not had sex since 1956? His friend said, ‘That’s a long time ago.’ ‘I don’t know,’ the general replied. ‘It’s only 20.27 now.’

Next week we’ll be investigating rumours that the president of the dairy council has become a Mason, and goes around giving his colleagues the secret milkshake.

We’ll continue our investigation into the political beliefs of nudists. We’ve already noticed a definite swing to the left.

The Prime Minister held a meeting with the cabinet today. He also spoke to the bookcase and argued with the chest of drawers.

The West Drayton man who has kept himself awake every night for 17 years by snoring has at last found the answer. He’s going to sleep in another room.

I knew a man who was convicted of stealing a calendar. He got 12 months.

CORBETT: “This next sketch is about two workers caught in an explosion in a ball-bearing factory. In it, I play a man who loses his bearings.” BARKER: “And I play a man who loses his . . . temper.”

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:26 am

The (Four Candles) Fork Handles sketch was hilarious.

Ronnie Barker was really funny. RIP.