Off Topic Messages

The Night Stalker: New Series

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:11 pm

Did anyone else catch the pilot of this series last night? I didn't particularly enjoy it, having been a big fan of the original. It sure lacked the humor and personality of Darren McGavin. It also didn't have the same "feel" as the '70's classic...seems like they're trying to create another X Files type show (although this is sure as hell NOT X Files) and win older fans by calling it "Night Stalker". It pretty much sucked.

Any thoughts?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:27 pm

In my opinion, Darren McGavin made the original series. His bumbling intelligence was a key factor and it is sorely missed.

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:00 pm

Overall I liked the show for what it was, but it's unquestionably X-files recycled.
The McGavin series comes out this coming Tuesday!

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Did you happen to catch Darren McGavin in the new show? What was that all about?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:10 pm

Yeah I caught that Eagle. I guess it was an affectionate nod to the old series/character. Another was when they went into Townsend/Kolchak's house there was a straw hat hanging on a coat rack.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:25 pm

Yeah...I also saw the hat hanging there. I was waiting for "Carl" to put it on but I don't think I'll hold my breath. This Kolchak doesn't seem like the type to wear it.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:35 am

Did not watch the remake last night. I did, however, watch several episodes of the original earlier in the day in a mini-marathon on the Sci-Fi channel. I plan on getting the entire series on DVD, scheduled for release on October 4.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:49 am

I got the Kolchak: The Night Stalker set a little over a week ago and so far I've watched 8 of the 20 episodes. The best thus far are: The Ripper; The Zombie; The Vampire; Horror In The Heights; The Spanish Moss Murders; Demon In Lace.
However The Werewolf and The Sentry were a bit weak.
Still, Darrin McGavin was great in the role, and even at it's worse the show is entertaining.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:16 am

I heard about the upcoming re-do of the series...........I debated whether to TIVO it........I decided not to.

The Night Stalker was a staple of my youth. The theme song still resonates for me. No way could any homage, no matter how well done, live up to the original for me. I decided to spare myself the disappointment.

But now I sort of regret not taping it to see the cameo by McGavin. He's one of my favorite character actors.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:02 pm

Scatter wrote:I heard about the upcoming re-do of the series...........I debated whether to TIVO it........I decided not to.

The Night Stalker was a staple of my youth. The theme song still resonates for me. No way could any homage, no matter how well done, live up to the original for me. I decided to spare myself the disappointment.

But now I sort of regret not taping it to see the cameo by McGavin. He's one of my favorite character actors.

It wasn't really a cameo Scatter. They took a brief bit of footage of McGavin from the original series and cut it in to scene in the new show. It's the same technology they use to have classic deceased actors in tv commercials.
Darren McGavin is still with us, but sadly he suffered a stroke back around '00. He also lost his beloved wife, actress Kathy Brown, a few years ago.

By the way Scatter you missed a Hammer thread a few weeks ago! Scroll back a few pages and check it out. With Halloween just around the corner that thread should be revived!

Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:57 am

Yeah Pete.........I needed a break from the asylum, so I'm just now catching up :lol: