26%
Arthur Kirkland-...And Justice For All
5%
Tony Montana-Scarface
32%

Total votes : 19

Al Pacino Poll-Most memorable/Best acted

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:18 pm

I know this is tough, but I just want to get a consensus. Which movie stands out as the one that would be on his grave stone. Though there are many many great movies that I am not listing, I am going for what I believe to be his standouts in his early career.

Try to balance the acting with the memorable. For instance if you think one is better acted, then compare that to the memorable part. Does it still eclipse the other? I know it is hard, but try to combine the two facets and then pit your decision against the other comparisons.

Of note. I don't count the Godfather III as part of his great legacy. Though I love the movie, it just doesn't compare, so I am eliminating that from the list even though I am combining the roles anyway as one option. :lol:

I have the same view with Scent of a Woman. Though a great role, not exactly groundbreaking when you consider all the other roles in his career. Tough tough to excise my other choses. But I am trying to keep this list at a minimum!

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:26 pm

Michael Corleone in the Godfather trilogy has to be my choice.

Al Pacino has starred in a lot of great movies, and he always (almost) delivers the goods!

Great actor, and a true legend!

Br
Kristian

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Gotta be Dog Day Afternoon. The range of emotions he expressed in that role was unbelievable. Look for a Special Edition DVD soon.

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:02 pm

I'll go along with Dog Day Afternoon, but I love that classic line he had in Godfather III where he says "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:16 pm

Cool news on Dog Day...just what I need..another F*CKING Pacino movie to buy on DVD. I hope they at least hold off till after October!

Bobby Deerfield and Me Natalie are the only 2 movies not to see DVD release. I hope they make it to the digital format someday.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:09 am

Geno -

Wot about 'Insomnia' ?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:21 am

I love the movie, and it was greatly acted, but I am a afraid not necessarily groundbreaking/memorable.

Pacino's greatest years are behind him. Even a fan such as myself can admit that. Still who knows, antything is possible. Scent of A Woman was a sure fire glimmer of such a thing.

Angels In America was as well. Great portrayal against type.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:52 am

gen - I loved Scent of a Woman!
sue

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:19 am

I chose Michael Corleone in The Godfather, jus unbelievable, but what about The Devil's Advocate :?:

I thought he put out a hell (hell, :lol: ) of a performance in that film :!:

And, of course, who could forget HEAT... :?:

DeNiro and Pacino, face to face, in a major motion picture jus doesn't get any better...does it :?:

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:58 pm

I didn't vote, but I'd like to point out that Pacino brought something different to the role of Michael Corleone in each film. In the first film he starts out as a basically normal guy with an 'unusual' family, but who undergoes a gradual transformation until by the film's end he has become the cold, calculating, ruthless crime lord whose further exploits are featured in the second film. In the third film we get an older Michael, one who has regrets and longs for redemption.

Al Pacino is among the top 5 actors America has produced in the latter portion of the 20th century (the others are Brando, De Niro, Nicholson, and my personal favorite, Robert Duvall). I don't agree that his best years are behind him.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:17 am

I would like to know why a film that does not have mayhem and great violence, but has a protagonist that thinks and acts tough, but loves the ladies and loves to tango, and goes to the defense of a youngster and in the end exhibits compassion and a sense of love is not even worth a comment. I know it’s about Pacino’s best films, but why do the best films have to be sensationally violent, to exhibit mayhem toward other human beings in order to be the best; the ones in which revenge, total control, and subjugation are the main relevant measures. Yes, I realize that there are measures of compassion, some family values, etc. in the other films, but the main idea one gets from them is violence.

I understand, critically the Godfather trilogy was acclaimed, especially the first two. And, yes, I voted for Dog Day Afternoon. But why wouldn’t a film of feelings and relationships be just as great? Yes, I know some had a measure of that.

I agree with Pete Dube as to the best actors of the last century. I would include Dustin Hoffman who always chose a diversity of roles: The Graduate, Tootsie, Lenny. Papillon, and of course, Midnight Cowboy. I guess Hoffman just wasn’t a shouter! Perhaps he had too many sub-par movies? Perhaps life is about violence? Mine hasn't been (well, a little, but not that kind of violence; actually mainly the violence of loss).

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:23 am

I voted for SERPICO. Great about police corruption.If I am correct Pacino met the guy.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:46 am

Silver and Pete Dube, I did not include the great performance of Scent Of a Woman because of several reasons.

Though SOAW was a good movie, how was it groudbreaking? It was obvious that he got the Oscar nod because of the "gimp" role. He has done far better work, and Glenn Gary Glenn Ross comes to mind. Charming as the movie is, it simply doesn't scream originality in the same way as the Godfather, which is perhaps one of the greatest movies ever made! I consider Part I and II as one movie because both the downfall is crucial to the story.

Dog Day afternoon wasn't just about violence...nor was Serpico. We all have opinions, but Pacino was far more honest in both of those roles. Hell ..And Justic For All actually treaded almost the same waters as Scent Of a Woman. If the violence is all you got Silver, then perhaps you need to give these breathtaking films another look!

As for you Pete, I agree that Pacino has alot to say still and being a fan of almost all his movies, I see things that only a fan would see. Still call me crazy, but Pacino cannot top Scarface or the Godfather IMO. Everyone has their limits.

Minkahead,

The Devil's Advocate is a wonderful performance and the "f*st f*ck" speech as well as the final screaming delivery was almost Shakesspearan. Though...still the ground was covered in Scarface. Almost parrodied at one point when he was shot. The ending was great though. There is no doubt there!

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:50 am

Okay, I will.
sue

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:16 pm

I'm not a fan on your level Geno but I thought he was immense in Dog Day Afternoon! 8)

Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:57 pm

Dellboy, obviously there are fans on this site as well as many people that I know who share your view. Dog Day Afternoon is in a class of its own. I assume Tom is correct on the special edition. I am glad for this because its treatment on DVD was apalling. Mono only issue, with a bare bones....with not even a trailer!!

Real video footage of the event would be most welcome. Finding Sonny Wortzik on the net has been most dissapointing. I would like to know more about the events that happened, and how closely Al's protrayal was.

Serpico would be my second favorite behind Scarface. That is why I didn't include Carlito's Way. I feel it took from Serpico as well as Scarface. Great film, and definetely in the running, but alas, not with this group!

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:11 pm

Well, I'm probably one of the handful of people on the face of the planet that actually liked Revolution, so what do I know? :lol:
My point, Genesim, about not writing off Pacino in his later years is based upon the fact that Burt Lancaster gave one of his greatest performances in his later years (Atlantic City). If Lancaster could do it Pacino certainly can.
Silver: I agree with you on Dustin Hoffman. Gene Hackman is another great one.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Well I did say anything is possible.

Revolution is next on my list of re-watches. :lol: Perhaps 8 years or longer between the last watch will give me a new perspective!

Pacino certaintly took his chances, and that is always what I loved about him. Being cutting edge sometimes loses an audience because you go over their heads. But time seems to make an artists work fare a little better.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:49 pm

genesim wrote:its treatment on DVD was apalling. Mono only issue, with a bare bones....with not even a trailer!!!

Geno,

Surely as an Elvis fan you're used to this! :D

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:01 pm

No E at least gets the trailers. :lol:

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:38 am

Genesim -

So you didn't think Al Pacino's Insomnia was ground-breaking or memorable...

Well, I won't lose any sleep over that...

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:28 am

:lol:

I never said it wasn't memorable or groundbreaking....but compared to the Godfather????

Yeah, sorry, couldn't put that one on the list. Insomnia wasn't exactly a stretch for him. Seeing Al depressed....just look at a buch of others by him.

I loved the movie though, and Robin Williams bowing down to him on the extras, really put it in perspective.

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:50 am

Genesim, you forgot Cruisin.' :) Seriously, how about Sea of Love?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:22 am

Simone, anyone???

I voted for Scarface, though.........

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:31 am

I love most every Al Pacino move.

People I Know was a forgotten gem that was shelved because of 9/11. Shame they edited the Towers out, because in the regard, they were used highly effective. Very poetic in the fact that they were demolished just before the underrated movie premiered. The DVD release was set back because of this.