Off Topic Messages

In The Basket [Apologies to Tom]

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:02 pm

Hey, I just got Downfall the story of Hitler's last 10 days !

Yeah, I know, not that old thing yet again !

But this must be the ultimate version, and is essential viewing !

Made by Germans, with German actors speaking in their own language, this couldn't be more authentic !

The makers of WWII films have a problem, don't they ?

Do they have a really good actor [like Alec Guinness or Anthony Hopkins] to play Hitler, even though they don't physically resemble him, or do they search for a good look-alike, irrespective of his acting ability ?

Well in Bruno Ganz, they get the best of both worlds !

He looks so much like Adolf that, at times, it seems that they must have unearthed some colour footage of the old sod !

And he acts so well, you simply forget it's someone acting a part and enjoy the story that unfolds.

And what a story !

Pretty familiar to most of us, I guess, but told in a fresh, interesting way.

And also watch out for Magda Goebells !

Evil incarnate, or a loving mum ?

You decide !

Five stars !

Recommended !

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:57 pm

No problem Colin. Downfall is an incredible film. Bruno Ganz gives an incredible performance that totally envelopes you in the story.
My only purchase this week was Robots. Next week, I'm going to need a truck to get my DVD's home.

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:08 pm

Der Untergang is a marvellous film, I agree!

Impossible to not get involved when watching it!

Bruno Ganz delivers what surely must be one of the best acting jobs ever! Outstanding!

The movie is first class all the way, and should be mandatory to watch by everyone old enough, for historical purpose!

Regarding the actual people portrayed in this movie:

I would say that most of them probably got what they deserved, although it's heartbreaking to know that a lot of innocent children and women were brought down into the dirt by the nazi regime...

Magda Goebbels (and her husband!) is the closest to evil I can imagine, next to Hitler himself!

Br
Kristian
Last edited by Kristian Hjelmaas on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:17 pm

Just picked up these:

Hogan's Heros Season 2
F Troop
McCloud
MacMillan & Wife
Adam 12 Season 1

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Just picked up these:

Hogan's Heros Season 2
F Troop
McCloud
MacMillan & Wife
Adam 12 Season 1

No Emergency!?? By the way, Adam-12 looks great on DVD!

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:16 pm

[quote="Tom in North Carolina
No Emergency!

Tom[/quote]

Looks like I'll be heading back to Best Buy! :shock:

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:34 pm

I'm all set for a 1970's action packed weekend..

Breaker Breaker...Chuck Noris
Three days in Condor
The Deep

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:37 pm

SuspiciousMinds wrote:I'm all set for a 1970's action packed weekend..

Breaker Breaker...Chuck Noris
Three days in Condor
The Deep

WOW, what a great set!!! (the movies aren't bad either)

Tom

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:41 pm

Der Untergang is colossal in magnitude and importance. It left me affected with a wide range of emotions after viewing and stayed vividly in my thoughts for days afterwards. It is a cold hard history lesson, which rather than edge towards fantasy in an attempt to make fact entertaining, is more historically accurate and precise than any other motion picture that's ever been available on the downfall. I wasn't watching a theater screen, I was a fly on the wall in Hitler's bunker and every single detail from the room design to the portrayal of the man himself just screamed 100% authenticity, because the screenplay has been derived from first hand testamonies only.

Swiss-born actor Bruno Ganz did the press junket here in Germany and admitted in interviews that he did have doubts if he could depict Hitler's powerful presence, the sway he held over regular Germans, the depth of his convictions and the psychic meltdown is such sobering detail. It turned out to be a tour de force, that often scared and haunted him.

October brings an extended cut (mini-series / 2 parts).

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:57 pm

Melanie -

You wrote:
October brings an extended cut (mini-series / 2 parts).

Which country ?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Premiers in Germany. Don't know if any foreign TV channels are going to pick it up.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:42 am

Colin,
You said you picked it up. So is it in DVD form and on sale? My husband is a history nut and I'd like to get this one for his birthday (Dec.). I am in the US. Thanks.

sue

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:57 am

Sue,
Downfall is available on DVD here in the states.

Tom

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:09 am

Tom,
Thanks! Will look for it and get it
sue

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Downfall has been called the "best" war movie ever made...even better than DAS BOOT.

It is CLASS = A1

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:58 pm

iamhekev wrote:even better than DAS BOOT.

Wow!! I don't know that I would go quite that far.

Tom

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:02 am

Either would i Tom,just what some folk in the UK press was saying etc.

I never made that part clear. :oops:

Did now tho.

For me,DAS BOOT is a film that stand"s on it"s own..."BUT" Tom...you like the film,or the tv version?.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:32 am

Kev,
I gotta be honest and say that I much prefer the original theatrical version. The film is incredible in any form, but the original version is an absolute masterpiece.

Tom

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:17 am

Just ordered it from Amazon!! I know my husband will enjoy it (in Dec.)
sue

Now I'm looking for Father Guido Sarducci Live at St. Douglas Convent(I think that's the name of it).

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:22 am

silver wrote:Now I'm looking for Father Guido Sarducci Live at St. Douglas Convent(I think that's the name of it).

WHY!!??

Tom

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:08 am

Because it's funny! I love Father Guido. I once had a kid whose middle name was Guido. He was blond and blue. His second grade teacher laughed when he said his middle name was Guido and he cried, so I was really careful to be ready when I asked him. I didn't even smile. Just try that!!
sue

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:02 pm

Der Untergang is the best movie ever concerning WW2 next to Das Boot und (!) Stalingrad. Had the movie been made by Hollywood and with American actors it would´ve been the worst bunch of crap imaginable! Thankfully, it wasn´t!

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:54 am

Tom - Just got Downfall in the mail, but can't look at it until December!! Haven't found Father Guido Sarducci yet though!
sue

Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:35 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Kev,
I gotta be honest and say that I much prefer the original theatrical version. The film is incredible in any form, but the original version is an absolute masterpiece.

Tom

100% with you there Tom...pure class.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:04 pm

silver wrote:[b]Tom - Just got Downfall in the mail, but can't look at it until December!!

Well, you certainly have more willpower than I do.

Tom