Off Topic Messages

DVD+R OR DVD-R ?

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Which is better for you ? I would like to transfer movies,lasediscs and cannot decide which blank discs to use the - or the +. I have read up on it but want your opinion. Thanks.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:22 pm

+R do work.

-R do not work. a friend of mine bought a pack of blank DVD-R and none would work. Why do they make -R we ask? Who knows.

But use the DVD+R

Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks for info I will.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:26 pm

I believe DVD-R are the best. I have never had a problem with them.
I used +R once and they worked fine to.

8)

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:48 pm

DVD+R is another example of the long line of Sony products trying to take the market share(Blue Ray, SACD, Betamax).

Since that time Sony has outsourced the DVD+R market...and actually alltogether gave up on DVD+/-R burners.

DVD-R is the standard, and is the most compatible. I myself always use DVD+R and find great deals when buying in bulk.

Most of the time Compatibility is more to do with how the DVD's are burned rather then the medium. Still with a google search I get the compatibility:

DVD-R=96.74%
DVD+R=87.32%

I have found very little difference between either. I say go with a burner that does both and you don't have to pick.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:11 pm

ky57ds gsfsfsd o9896fdg saa2 jkhjmj cxvc2 44 ssds
Last edited by Jesse Garon on Fri May 05, 2006 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:50 pm

And are these PC's..DVD-R compatible? ALL pc's should work with DVD-R, because it is the standard. Guess your three friends are in the 4% that don't work with anything.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:55 am

Just read that DVD+ has newer or better technology and can deal with errors better. That is good if those digital artifacts like freezing and squaring up are reduced to a minimum.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:40 am

Its hogwash. The difference between DVD+R and DVD-R is minimal.

What is needed is a fast computer with plenty of ram. Also close down all programs. Get Enditall2 and you can do this with one button. Shut off the internet so you don't get online traffic interference, and you should get a perfect DVD everytime.

Like I said, get a DVD+R and DVD-R burner combo and experiment yourself. Why limit it, when the things are dirt cheap!

Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:12 am

Thanks.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:29 am

JLGB - Thanks for posing this question. I was wondering about it, also. My husband bought a DVD/CD -RW in our computer, but our video to DVD is +/-. We always use -, but have noticed a lot of + on sale. I guess gen's answer tells why + is on sale.

Thanks for the answer, gen. I do trust you completely when it comes to this area of knowledge. (Sorry, I can't call you gene, because it's not how I think of you. I, first of all, thought it had something to do with Genesis. Well, I am very simple when it comes to these kinds of things - I mean like KISS.)

sue

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:11 am

Yes gen or geno has become a nickname. Well if I say Doc or Jerry(he he), then I guess I have to take mine as well. :lol:

+/- Both will most likely do the job. I will burn on either. Price is the key.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:25 am

If you're going to use DVD-R, stay away from Memorex. Every time I have ever bought a box of them, I end up throwing away five or six.

I now buy TDK or Maxell and never have to discard any of them.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks Rob. I am thinking of Fujifilm DVD+R.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:52 am

I find that DVD+R has at least one plus going for it, while DVD-R has at least one minus against it.

Just don't know how they compare, that's all.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:03 am

That's a good one Colin B. :lol:

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:58 pm

:lol:

My advice...find a brand that works, that is cheap, and then stick with it!

I have been using Verbatum. I hated using them when it came to CDR's, but the DVD are perfect!

I agree about memorex. I have discarded a few myself(though usually about 2 to 3). Faults in the manufacturing. You can by the discoloration. I have found the errors when I do a decryption of the DVD. The program spits it out when there is an error after burning.

I agree about TDK and Maxell as well. I have no problems. Sony is another brand that works everytime.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:57 pm

I have burned a lots of movies on both and - works the best for me.Besides my xbox wont read + discs at all

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:43 pm

I use DVD-R myself and they work great. My dvd-recorder can also use DVD+R, but after reading a lot of info about the two formats on the internet, I stick with DVD-R. But, as mentioned earlier in this post, they are more or less the same.

What is VERY important is not to use some cheap discs, but spend a little more on a reliable product. I always use VERBATIM myself and they always work. Using Fuji or TDK is also just as good.