Off Topic Messages

The Little Mermaid on DVD **UPDATED**

Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:50 pm

Granted, we've got over a year to wait, but here is some conceptual artwork for the upcoming release.

Tom
Last edited by Tom in North Carolina on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:16 pm

Here's the (almost) official artwork for the 2-disc version of this classic Disney movie being released on October 3rd:

This new edition will feature an all-new digital restoration, along with a Disney Enhanced Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Extras will include deleted scenes, a The Story Behind the Story featurette on Hans Christian Andersen, The Making of The Little Mermaid, and an all-new music video. More details when I have them.

Tom

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:39 am

Insert sounds of crickets here......... :lol: :wink:

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Scatter wrote:Insert sounds of crickets here......... :lol: :wink:

No kidding!

Tom

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:31 am

It's a cute movie but I don't collect Disney.

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:00 am

JEFF d wrote:.............. but I don't collect Disney.

I have to. I have 2 daughters and it's the law.

Tom

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:35 am

sebastian's eyes in the film are white, not yellow. but with quick a google image search, all the movie stills show white and many of the promo shots are yellow. :lol:

speaking of disney...i was at disneyland yesterday. ouch, my feet.

just was watching peter pan... :oops:

but anyway, i already have most of the disney movies already (vhs)...so i doubt it will be any time soon for me to upgrade.

then again, my vhs tape of peter pan has upcoming attractions for the rescuers downunder with john candy and the little mermaid as it's latest release, etc...

maybe i am due for an upgrade...the grains are starting to show. :lol:

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:38 am

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:42 am

what's shocking? (coincidently, that smiley expression is similar to one that sebastian makes :lol: )

the fact that i'm still quite fond of the disney classics or that some of us are still with our old vhs tapes?

nevertheless: peter pan, the little mermaid, sleeping beauty & aladdin are some of my favorites.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:46 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:what's shocking?

This:

Elvis' Babe wrote:but anyway, i already have most of the disney movies already (vhs)...so i doubt it will be any time soon for me to upgrade.

Tom

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:49 am

yes, well...when you have 100s of vhs movies...upgrading is a big deal...though the dvd collection isn't bad either.

note that i grew up in the 80s/90s, so it's very believable that most of my childhood movies are vhs.

upgrading is expensive--it'll be a long time before i upgrade my entire disney collection (that's not a small catalogue).

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:15 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
JEFF d wrote:.............. but I don't collect Disney.

I have to. I have 2 daughters and it's the law.

Tom

Ain't THAT the truth :lol:

Justine is not really into Disney (Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Sillyville run more to her taste), and Jordan hasn't been exposed to too much Disney yet. We have quite a bit of Justine's rejects though, so I suppose it's about time.

BTW.........he LOVES the Classic DVD sets of Looney Tunes that you recommended to me.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 am

i used to drive my parents NUTS going around the house singing hi ho.

i also used to leave the tiki tiki room song from the soundtracks on repeat for hours. :lol:

and thank this thread for making me just watch the little mermaid twice tonight. :wink:

my favorite scene is when ariel saves prince eric and you see them on the beach right after the shipwreck...followed by the part of your world reprise.

oh and of course the dinglehopper/snarfblat dialog with buddy hackett's scuttle.

and the kiss the girl scene...

yeah...what a great animated film.

and i have to say that les poissons song cracks me up to pieces.

most disturbing moment: ursula shaking her rear while saying "and don't forget about body language" :shock:

speaking of being at disneyland yesterday (er...2 days ago, now)...we got rained on during fantasmic. that's a great production.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:i used to drive my parents NUTS going around the house singing hi ho.
i also used to leave the tiki tiki room song from the soundtracks on repeat for hours. :lol:
and thank this thread for making me just watch the little mermaid twice tonight. :wink:

You really should get out more.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:02 pm

hey, buddy...it was a sunday night, and my feet/legs still hurt from standing in multi-hour lines at d-land. excuse me for oversleeping and movie marathoning through today.

disney is timeless...i don't think it's just for kids.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:14 pm

Personally EB.........I hate Disneyworld. I'd NEVER go except my wife guilts me into it for the kid's sake.

I'd just as soon see the entire complex burn to the ground than ever step foot into that plasticized,exploitative, overpriced, outdated, opiate of the masses, pastel ghetto ever again.

But that's just me........ :wink:

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:22 pm

but damn...there's nothing like sitting in the front of the log for splash mountain and getting drenched. the picture was hilarious. :lol: i had the laughing place song stuck in my head for a few hours.

i actually have most of the haunted mansion intro dialog memorized.

i was so bummed out about pirates being closed for refurbishments/until the movie comes out. that's my favorite ride there.

i once went on peter pan's flight 17 times in one day, 15 times consequetively (disneyland had a terrorist threat that day, so there weren't any lines). in my defense, i was trying to find the mickey...it's in the moon.

disneyland is one of my favorite places. overpriced, yes... but having been there about 20-30 times in my short little life, i can surely say it's one of my fondest places to visit.

my mom went to disneyland back in 1955!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Oh my!!

Tom

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:48 am

Too "over the top" Tom?? :lol:

I really do hate DisneyWorld........I can't help it. I live in Florida. I'm only 3 hours away. But I honestly just can't help it :oops:

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:24 am

Scatter wrote:I really do hate DisneyWorld........I can't help it. I live in Florida. I'm only 3 hours away. But I honestly just can't help it :oops:

And the Disney employees !

They don't just work for the company.

They have to sell their souls to them !

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:49 pm

ColinB wrote:
And the Disney employees !

They don't just work for the company.

They have to sell their souls to them !

You're just about right. Several years ago I interviewed for the Director of Marketing position for DisneyWorld. Their corporate philosophy is down right scary. You are asked to pretty much devote your life to the company and they have the final say so over everything. For instance, while I was down there for my second interview I looked at some houses and visited a friend over at Universal Studios, which was just about to open. I casually mentioned that I was looking at houses during the interview and the guy said that 2 of the neighborhoods I looked in "were not up to the expected standards of Disney executives." These were $350,000-450,000 homes, so what does that even mean??? Then, when I mentioned that I had visited Universal, I was told that I "can't do that again" if I expected to keep my job. Keep in mind, I wasn't even offered a job there yet and they were already telling me where I could live and where I could go. Needless to say that when I was offered a third inteview, I heartily declined. The guy they hired lasted 3 1/2 months before he ran for the hills.

Tom

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Are they ever going to expand the fast pass option to more attractions?

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:21 pm

Melanie wrote:Are they ever going to expand the fast pass option to more attractions?

Not as long as folks keep buying tickets for the other attractions. It's all about the green with Disney, never forget that.

Tom

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:34 am

huh? tom, are you sure you know about how disney theme parks work?

at disneyland, anyway...

* you pay admission (as outrageous as it is)

* the rides don't have separate admissions anymore (the days of a rides, b rides, etc... is LONG over)

* the fast pass rides are usually the ones with the giganimous lines (splash mountain, etc...)...there's no extra cost, it's just a way to bypass the lines. the matterhorn, though is an example of a ride that has huge lines but doesn't have the fast pass system.

if there's a difference there with disneyland and disneyworld, that's another reason why disneyland is better (which it is anyway).

============

speaking of little mermaid dvd promo art...

the mistakes are:

* king triton's tail is blue, not green (though he's not on the particular covers you posted)
* sebastian's eyes are white
* ursula isn't quite that strong shade of purple

funnily enough, certain people have made stinks about the phallic spire on the old cover, and the wedding priest's...happiness/knee. in later releases, those things were removed, i've heard. :lol:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:14 am

Perhaps you should change your name from Elvis' Babe to Disney's Darling?!

Tom