Off Topic Messages

3-Disc Born To Run 30th Anniversary - Nov. 15

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:08 pm

Courtesy of Backstreets.com...

THREE-DISC BTR ANNIVERSARY SET DUE NOV. 15
Finally, the world is ready for the Born to Run 30th Anniversary reissue. Due on November 15, the box set will include three discs: "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75," an astonishing film of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's legendary November 18 concert; the new documentary film "Wings For Wheels: The Making of Born To Run;" and the classic album in remastered CD form. With its two DVDs, the package offers approximately four hours of previously unseen footage. Personally supervised by Bruce Springsteen and Jon Landau, the set includes a 48-page photo album of previously unpublished photographs, with an introduction written by Springsteen.

"I believe that the combination of the great 1975 concert footage, the brilliant documentary of the making of the album and the dazzling remastering of 'Born to Run' add up to a nearly perfect storm of Bruce's music," said longtime manager Jon Landau.

Hammersmith Odeon, London '75 will be the first and only full-length concert film ever released of Bruce and the E Street Band's first 25 years. The multiple-camera film of the complete concert will be available in its entirety and its original sequence, as newly edited by Emmy Award Winner Thom Zimny. Zimny's production team painstakingly cleaned the original negatives and digitally restored the footage, ultimately presenting this indispensable concert in vibrant color and detail. Producer Bob Clearmountain remastered and remixed the DVD in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. (Zimny has worked with Springsteen on several projects, including editing the Live in New York City, Live in Barcelona, and VH1 Storytellers films. Clearmountain is the legendary mixer who has often collaborated with Springsteen over the last 25 years, most famously on Born in the U.S.A.) Spanning roughly two hours and ten minutes, the 11/18/75 concert is an epic performance of 16 Springsteen and the E Street Band classics:

1. Thunder Road
2. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
3. Spirit In The Night
4. Lost In The Flood
5. She's The One
6. Born To Run
7. The E Street Shuffle/Having A Party
8. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
9. Backstreets
10. Kitty's Back
11. Jungleland
12. Rosalita
13. 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy)
14. Detroit Medley
15. For You
16. Quarter To Three

Wings for Wheels: The Making of Born to Run is a 90-minute documentary chronicling the definitive story of the creation of the album, from songwriting to production and beyond. Wings for Wheels boasts archival film never shown publicly, including substantial footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band recording the album, 1975 concert film and other footage shot between 1973 and 1975. The film also features exclusive footage of Springsteen playing solo piano and guitar versions of songs from 'Born to Run.' In addition, "Wings For Wheels" incorporates newly filmed interviews with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, including former members who played on the album, as well as the production team:

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Roy Bittan
3. Ernest "Boom" Carter
4. Clarence Clemons
5. Danny Federici
6. Nils Lofgren
7. David Sancious
8. Patti Scialfa
9. Garry Tallent
10. Stevie Van Zandt
11. Max Weinberg
12. Jon Landau
13. Jimmy Iovine
14. Mike Appel
15. Eric Meola

In newly shot footage from Asbury Park, NJ, Springsteen discusses his personal feelings about the making of the iconic album in great depth; the footage with Springsteen includes the musician reflecting on outtakes and unreleased tracks from the album for the first time since 1975. The DVD ends with stunning bonus footage of three songs recorded live at Los Angeles' Ahmanson Theater in 1973: "Spirit in The Night," "Wild Billy's Circus Story" and "Thundercrack."

The newly remastered Born to Run CD rounds out the box set. This is the first time Springsteen has allowed any of his catalogue to be fully remastered, and he enlisted his longtime mastering guru Bob Ludwig to handle the job. The newly remastered version presents the masterpiece with striking clarity and presence.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:41 am

Halleluja, brother!

Thanks for posting this!

Christmas will come early this year!!! :lol:

Br
Kristian

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:55 am

Sadly there will be no studio out-takes/alternate takes. A lot of recording went into these sessions. Some very cool things will once again remain in the vaults. It is nice that Bruce has embraced the DVD format, but he still has a lot incredible studio out-takes in the vaults and this release was a chance for some alternates from Born To Run to officially see the light of day. At least the Hammersmith show will finally see that light of day, the few tracks that have circulated over the years look amazing.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:02 am

Has it been confirmed that alternate takes and/ or additional tracks will not be included on the cd?

If so, a pitty! As you said; a lot of hard work and recordings were presumably done at the Born To Run sessions...

Maybe Bruce is saving it for another "Tracks" compilation? Let's hope so!

In the meantime, this upcoming DVD and CD box set will do plenty! :lol:

Br
Kristian

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:16 am

You're exactly right Kristian :!: :!: :!:

This 3 Disc set will be a dream come true for the true Springsteen aficionado and I cannot wait :!:

I'm pretty sure Bruce and Co. will eventually get around to releasing the unreleased gems still sittin' around waiting for an official release, but until then, this will definetely hold us over for awhile.

2 unbelievably essential releases this year, (Stortellers DVD being the first), from one of the last great Rock legends... :D

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:51 am

Hey, Minky, you write in a very familiar way.

Tell me, do you post on the Elvis Number Ones and Roth's Army message boards under other names?

Just curious!!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:52 am

Adam Andeerson wrote:Hey, Minky, you write in a very familiar way.

Tell me, do you post on the Elvis Number Ones and Roth's Army message boards under other names?

Just curious!!

No, but after reading your last 6 or 7 replies and your constant naggin' me, I 'm starting to get it.

You made quite an impression over at the #1 site with your constant asinine arguing with that King Creole guy.

so, you think that guy is me, huh :?: :lol:

STRANGE...

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:05 pm

You seem to know a lot about it!! LOL

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:08 pm

I'm really looking forward to this release, particularly the 1975 concert!

Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:12 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I'm really looking forward to this release, particularly the 1975 concert!

Pete, this release will be, without a doubt, a godsend to us Bruce fan's :!:

I can't wait to see the London concert as well :!: