Off Topic Messages

Re: Cliff Richard blames radio ban 4 ending his recording ca

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:30 am

Jove wrote:Cliff Richard blames radio ban 4 ending his recording career

Funny, I always blamed it on his voice.

Tom

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:56 pm

likethebike wrote:What's it been? Seven years for Cher? Five years for Madonna? Once in awhile you can slip through with a fluke but most of the time your mainstream airplay is done at a certain age.

Madonna retired. She is still quite capable. It has only been 2 years since her last top 5 singles. Me Against The Music, Hollywood, and American Life went to #2 in the UK and then Die Another Day in 2002 went top ten.

Though not the HIT she should have had...like Erotica not exactly horrible. Just not good for Madonna. Though if she wants..it just poises her for another comeback.

Admittedly it is more difficult the older you get, but NO she is has already proved that she had a strong following even at an older age.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:31 pm

According to a personal letter from Cliff Richard on his main website - he has denied the rumours about not making any more records. He is looking to get a No.1 record this Christmas by collaborating with new group G4 on 'Miss You Nights'.

Brian :roll:

Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:48 pm

Brian -

Thanks for that.

You just made my day [not].

I like G4 about as much as I like him.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Stephen, to say that dear old Sir Cliff of Richard`s talent is "mediocre at best" is somewhat harsh. You dont have a successful recording career spanning almost 50 years by being mediocre.

As far as i can see, Cliff`s real trouble is that he is just to competitive. In a recent interview Cliff gave, he mentioned Robbie Williams being a big chart rival to him, and that he is the guy he has to beat etc. As if a 64 year old guy, with 47 successful years in the music business should be concerned with a young guy like Williams.

He`s had a fantastic chart run, and he should be grateful for that. What teenager or young person would want to listen to 64 year old anyway ? I`m sure he did`nt when he was a kid.

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:54 pm

Ezz:

I think we'll have to disagree on this one. Remember how Cliff's career started - as an Elvis clone. Cliff himself admits to this. I'm not saying he is talentless, just average. And, at a time when Britain needed its own Elvis, Cliff Richard came along just at the right time. Thereafter, he surrounded himself with people who could guide his career in the right direction, a policy he has maintained to this day.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:41 pm

Things could have been worse though, it could have been Tommy Steele who had the 47 year chart run!

I`ve never been a Cliff fan, but i have a soft spot for the early stuff of The Shadows.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:39 pm

Ezz:

I think you've hit upon another reason for Cliff's early success - the fact that he had one of the most influential British guitarists in rock in his band.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:17 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:Ezz:

I think you've hit upon another reason for Cliff's early success - the fact that he had one of the most influential British guitarists in rock in his band.

That's definitely part of it. The early material was a cut above most British rock n roll. Move It does actually sound like an American record. Personally, I don't think his strength was ever as an all out rock n roller in the Elvis mould though. Early ballads such as I'm Looking Out the Window and The Next Time were just very well performed. In fact, he might have made the definitive version of The Twelfth of Never. That was good singing on very well produced records, whether you like or hate the guy.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:35 pm

Yep, old Hank and Bruce made a big contribution to the early sound Cliff had, not to mention Norrie Paramour (or whatever his surname is) who produced them. A lot of that early stuff was very well produced and had a nice warm sound.

As an aside, i went to see The Shadows last summer in London on their farewell tour, i sat behind Roger Taylor and Brian May, and boy does that guy have big hair !

Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:22 am

TJ wrote:Personally, I don't think his strength was ever as an all out rock n roller in the Elvis mould though. Early ballads such as I'm Looking Out the Window and The Next Time were just very well performed.

The ballads you mention are both from 1962, after the period in which Cliff had made his transformation from British rock 'n' roller to granny's favourite.

The period I was talking about was the very beginning of his career, in 1958, when he appeared on shows like Oh Boy etc etc with the sneer and his collar turned up. I think Cliff Richard soon realised he simply didn't have the voice for rock 'n' roll.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:43 am

Stephen Butler wrote:
TJ wrote:Personally, I don't think his strength was ever as an all out rock n roller in the Elvis mould though. Early ballads such as I'm Looking Out the Window and The Next Time were just very well performed.

The ballads you mention are both from 1962, after the period in which Cliff had made his transformation from British rock 'n' roller to granny's favourite.

The period I was talking about was the very beginning of his career, in 1958, when he appeared on shows like Oh Boy etc etc with the sneer and his collar turned up. I think Cliff Richard soon realised he simply didn't have the voice for rock 'n' roll.

Yes I realise that, which is the point I was making about his move from an all out Elvis style rock n roller to more middle of the road artist. I think 1962 still counts as early in a 47 yr career :-)

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:10 pm

Billy fury...

His lp from 1960...SOUND OF FURY.

The 1st go at ROCKABILLY.

The shadows were way ahead of the other groups at that time.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:54 pm

But alas, even The Shadows were wearing dinner suits by 64, and appealing to the granny nmarket. They lost their way big time after 63.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Cliff (EFFIN) Richard on "Oh Boy" remember it well. Biting my tongue "Move it" was quite good:-) AND Lord Rockingham's "There's a moose loose aboot this hoose..."

"Apache by the Shadows" Excellent!

Billy was OK. Lightweight but tolerable. Marty?..well he was an Elvis fan.

NOW here in Ireland we have Danniele O' (bloody) Donnell (Green Cliff!) singing "Good Luck Charm" on his latest Album. ADVERTISED on TV ad nauseum!

Thank goodness the Kate Bush impersonators are not getting their own TV Shows.
The mediocrity we endure on the media (even accidently) takes it's toll.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:29 pm

I've been waiting for this news for years, I've hated him since he did an interview with the daily mirror stating that he was more of a man than Elvis ever was, what a tw@t :x