Off Topic Messages

MOBO Awards

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:17 am

In the UK, we just had the 10th annual MOBO awards.

Awards for: Music Of Black Origin !

How far do you think I'd get if I tried to stage a MOWO Awards show.

You know, limited to white music.

The PC squad would kill it off before it got off the ground !

Strange that, isn't it ?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:07 am

Not strange at all, Colin. I've often wondered if shows like the "Essence" Awards aren't a bit racist (or reverse racist) in nature.

The Essence Awards was first held in 1987 and has become one of the country's most important awards shows, honoring such luminaries as Halle Berry, Janet Jackson, Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Bill and Camille Cosby, Alicia Keys, india.arie, Whoopi Goldberg, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Quincy Jones, Spike Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Rosa Parks, General Colin Powell, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Oprah Winfrey and many more along with dozens of community leaders who have worked to improve the quality of life for others.

Uh...quality of life for other....what? Blacks? Whites? Llamas? They are a bit ambiguous, but I think we know what they're working to improve.

Hmmm... I didn't notice a token whitey there.

The BET (Black Entertainment Television) also comes to mind. I know there are individuals who will holler that whites excluded blacks for years on tv...but we're talking about now, not then. And what's going on now is not WET (White Entertainment Television). I don't necessarily have a problem with a network geared to any particular group, but it's the hipocracy I have an issue with. An especially designed network for whites would NEVER be permitted, but a white would be crucified if he ever challenged BET. Welcome to the world of PC.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:30 am

That reminds me of a women only radio station I read about a few years ago. Everyone who worked on it, on and off air, had to be female. I don't think men would get away with starting a new venture that is specifically designed to exclude women. Frankly, what's the point anyway?