Off Topic Messages

WW - II bomber salvaged from Lake Murray

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:51 pm

Folks -
On Monday night a WW - II bomber was brought up from the bottom of Lake Murray (I live about 2 miles from the lake). It ditched into the lake back in 1943 while flying training exercises (crew escaped). For the past few days it has been on land at the lake and has become quite an attraction. I went to see it last night, and it's quite a sight to see! It's remakably preserved considering that it's been submerged for over 60 years. Eventually it's going to an aviation museum in Alabama.
One thing I've got to say is that I would not have wanted to be a nose gunner. They were in an extremely vulnerable position.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Pete -

You wrote:
...I would not have wanted to be a nose gunner

Was that the one where there was no access back into the plane ?

Such a lonely place to be !

Did you get any pics ?

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:06 pm

ColinB wrote:Pete -

You wrote:
...I would not have wanted to be a nose gunner

Was that the one where there was no access back into the plane ?

Such a lonely place to be !

Did you get any pics ?

Colin-
I didn't get any pics. I was out getting gas (OOOOUUUUUCH!) and just stopped by on my way back home. My wife is going to get some pics later this week. If she does I'll try to post them.

I don't know if the nose gunner didn't have access back into the plane. It sure looks like a cramped, isolated area. It's positioned below and hangs out well in front of the cockpit, with nothing but glass and steel braces for protection!

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:15 pm

Pete,
This actually made our local news. It's so cool!!! Here's a link to the story and some pics:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/12691201.htm

Tom

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:30 pm

Pete / Tom,

Fascinating! Thanks for that.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:34 pm

Thanks Pete and Tom for the info! Not long ago a German plane from WW2 was rescued from a lake in Trondheim, Norway, and the German pilot who once flew the plane, now in his nineties was present at the rescue. Great stuff!

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:36 pm

MB280E -

I thought you were going to say he was still sitting at the controls !

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:39 pm

Would you´ve believed me if I said he was...? And in great spirits... :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Colin -
Before they actually raised the bomber my daughter said to me "wouldn't it be cool if there are skeletons inside?" "Um, no it wouldn't" was my rather dry reply. I then had to give her a talking to as to why skeletons in the bomber would not be cool. And she's an honors student! :shock:

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Pete -

Well, perhaps 'cool' wasn't quite the right word, but we know what she meant !

It would have added to the moment !

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:11 pm

True Colin, but I want to make sure she doesn't de-value human life.

As for Lake Murray, some of the most beautiful, breathtaking sunsets can be seen here.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:16 pm

Pete -

I always wanted to visit the US.

But I've left it a bit late now.................

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:29 pm

Tom