Off Topic Messages

roy orbison

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:56 pm

what a great artist he was ,just listen to his version of danny boy roy recorded in 73 or 72 ,hear his pain he lost 2 sons in his house fire .amazing vocals and production.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:03 am

The Big O had a fantastic voice, and he sure knew how to use it!

Sadly, he experienced some tragic losses in his own life, and he must've gone through a lot of pain because of this.

When listing the greatest voices in the history of Rock'n Roll and/ or Popular Music in general, there's no way we can leave Roy Orbison out!

Br
Kristian

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:00 am

Watched the Roy Orbison & Friends A Black & White Night Live DVD this weekend.

First time in years that I've watched this marvellous performance by the Big O and his music friends on stage!

What a night it must have been, both for the musicians, singers and the crowd! (Kris Kristofferson among other celebrities can be spotted in the audience)

Roy Orbison singing like a Prince from another planet (!) :wink: hit after hit, including Only The Lonely, In Dreams, It's Over and of course Pretty Woman...

And what a band! The TCB Band, with James Burton, Ronnie Tutt, Jerry Scheff and Glen D Hardin was the backbone of the stage setup, with Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne, J D Souther (and a few more joining them) with Bonnie Raitt, Jennifer Warnes and K D Lang as backup singers! Wow!

The sound on this DVD is absolutely fantastic, considering this was taped in 1987 (I think it was).

If you haven't watched this yet, it's not too late! :wink:

Br
Kristian

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:43 pm

No doubt about it, the Big O is one of the all-time greats - not to mention one of the genuine nice-guys of the 60s music scene! I recently started delving a bit more deeply into his repertoire and found some real gems.

The Monument recordings from 1960-65 are certainly his best, but some of his MGM output from 1965-73, while less consistent, does contain performances that are the equal of his best Monument work. (Amazingly, the MGM albums were released on CD for the first time only last year! Some of the singles, and many of the B-sides, have yet to see an official release on CD.)

His 1970s stuff is pretty poor by comparison, but he came back with a vengeance in 1980 with That Lovin' You Feelin' - a duet with the angelic Emmylou Harris that still gives me goose pipmples every time I hear it. Sublime! Same goes for the duet on Crying with kd lang, from 1987.

Kristian - I have to agree with you about the Black & White Night concert. It's a real shame that following that, Roy didn't live long enough to see Mystery Girl become the most successful album of his career. :(

Johnny

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:28 pm

That is one heck of a show he put on that night...with an A1 band to boot of course.

And when he was on the up...the God fellow give him a call,but what a legacy.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am

Roy IS a tremendous talent and the Black and White Night was an outstanding show!! I do love listening to his highs! I remember reading when Elvis was in the army, the only one he asked about was Roy: "What's Orbison doing?"
sue

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:03 pm

A terrific concert and the same goes for the band!
The most beautiful song on it is "The Comedian". I guess the title is something like this....

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:34 pm

I guess it´s this really this title Renan.... By the way, a memorable concert!