Off Topic Messages

Bruce Springsteen: Storytellers DVD

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:19 am

Anyone on the board picked up this new DVD yet? I think it was about 2 weeks ago it came out now.

It's a fantastic release, in my opinion. It's very interesting to hear Bruce go through some of his hit records line by line and tell what he was thinking and the meaning behind the lyrics. The performances themselves aren't too shabby either, as Bruce does one of his best renditions of "Thunder Road", via the piano, in quite some time.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:59 am

This is an expanded edition of the VH1 broadcast. Does it seem worthy?

Also, have you heard about the 30th Anniversary Born To Run CD/DVD?

DJC

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:This is an expanded edition of the VH1 broadcast. Does it seem worthy?

Doc, how could YOU of all people expect less from Bruce?

Bruce Springsteen is a natural born "Storyteller" :!: :!: :!:

I picked up this DVD last week and it is an essential purchase for any Springsteen fan, as well as the casual fan.

I find Bruce to be brilliant, raw, eclectic, humorous...

The whole concert was remastered in surround sound, completely re-edited including different camera angles and features a total of eight complete performances not seen on Vh1.

I will say, the TV special was brutally edited when compared to this DVD.

some of my fav highlights are "Jesus Was an Only Son" and "Nebraska".

there is also a chapter that features a rare "unseen question and answer" session that contains Springsteen's detailed comments, introductions and anecdotes on the songs' origins.

simply fascinating...

Of course I have :!: :D

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:This is an expanded edition of the VH1 broadcast. Does it seem worthy?

DJC

It's definitely worthy, Doc. The entire "Storytellers" section runs a little bit over an hour and a half. That tells you just how much was edited out of the 1 hour broadcast on VH1 that included commercials.

I agree with pretty much everything minka said concerning it. The question and answer session is interesting, although kind of redundant because a lot of the questions he answered or eluded to during the show so there wasn't a lot left to say.

I did hear about the Born To Run 30th Anniversary edition. Supposedly sometime before Christmas? Apparently it contains the full concert from 11/18/75 in London. Should be a real treat!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:44 am

RyanD wrote:

DJC

It's definitely worthy, Doc. The entire "Storytellers" section runs a little bit over an hour and a half. That tells you just how much was edited out of the 1 hour broadcast on VH1 that included commercials.

I agree with pretty much everything minka said concerning it. The question and answer session is interesting, although kind of redundant because a lot of the questions he answered or eluded to during the show so there wasn't a lot left to say.

I did hear about the Born To Run 30th Anniversary edition. Supposedly sometime before Christmas? Apparently it contains the full concert from 11/18/75 in London. Should be a real treat!

Say what???

Wow - is the '75 London concert on the DVD or just audio?

Rich

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:40 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
RyanD wrote:

DJC

Say what???

Wow - is the '75 London concert on the DVD or just audio?

Rich

From what I've heard...it's the full '75 London concert on DVD. So yes, video footage not just audio :D

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 am

Quote:

"From what I've heard...it's the full '75 London concert on DVD. So yes, video footage not just audio"

Man, that would've been awesome! :lol:

About time some of these early, legendary performances sees it's way to the public!

Anyone dare to come up with a tracklist for this concert?

Br
Kristian

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:38 am

18/11/75 - HAMMERSMITH ODEON, LONDON

THUNDER ROAD
10TH AVENUE FREEZE OUT
SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT
LOST IN THE FLOOD
SHES THE ONE
BORN TO RUN
E ST SHUFFLE
SAINT IN THE CITY
BACKSTREETS
KITTYS BACK
JUNGLELAND
ROSALITA
4TH JULY ASBURY PARK (SANDY)
DETROIT MEDLEY
FOR YOU
QUARTER TO THREE

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:43 am

Thanks a lot, John B!

Very interesting tracklist indeed! :lol:

Have you seen/ listened to this show?
I guess it goes without saying that it's a good one? :wink:

Br
Kristian

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:18 am

You're welcome Kristian. I haven't heard this concert, but did hear one from one week later. It was a great show, I'm sure the one on this DVD will be also. Can't wait till it comes out!

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:50 am

One would think this package would follow in the steps of the Jeff Buckley and Clash 'Legacy Editions,' 2 cds and one dvd. If this is the case, it would be cool to see what the bonus audio tracks will be. There certainly are plenty of out-takes/alternate takes that have circulated from the BTR sessions, hopefully some great stuff is indeed released.