Off Topic Messages

ROCKY VI???

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:25 am

Maybe Tom could give us a briefing on this subject, but I've been hearing sum talk, (seriously), about Sly actually pursuing this film project.

I also hear that Sly is supposedly to begin filming in December of '05 so that production can be complete to celebrate the "30th Anniversary" of the original ROCKY in 2006:!:

Tom, can u validate if any of this info has any merit :?:

Thanks...
Last edited by minkahed on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:19 am

Rocky IV was released in 1985 :wink: But I've also heard that Rocky VI is in the pipeline and it was from the horse's (Sly's) mouth a couple of days ago. He said that a real heavyweight will be used as the opposition, but that he couldn't say more as talks were ongoing.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:14 am

TJ wrote:Rocky IV was released in 1985 :wink: But I've also heard that Rocky VI is in the pipeline and it was from the horse's (Sly's) mouth a couple of days ago. He said that a real heavyweight will be used as the opposition, but that he couldn't say more as talks were ongoing.

Rocky IV...I can't buleeve I did that :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

so, then it looks as if I'm not the only one that has heard sumthin' about this...(ROCKY 6) :D :!:

Thanks TJ.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:36 am

What are they going to be doing, fighting over a checkers game at the old folk's home?

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:45 am

Rob wrote:What are they going to be doing, fighting over a checkers game at the old folk's home?

No :!:

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:55 pm

First of all, for those who care, Rambo IV is currently in pre-production. Now, on to Rocky VI. The rumors of this movie have been circulating in Hollywood for almost 5 years. While MGM did sign Stallone to develop a story and write a screenplay for Rocky VI back in 2002, nothing, repeat NOTHING ever came from it. His first few treatments were immediately rejected and things got ugly between the parties. Stallone offered to buy the franchise and produce his own movie, to which MGM replied "OK, fine, that'll be $230,000,000 and 15% of the domestic and International gross." Needless to say, he declined.

Now, here's the latest rumor going around. Rocky VI has been written (by Stallone) and Mr.T has signed to reprise his Clubber Lang role. Burt Young is also reportedly signed to reprise his role as Paulie. In this treatment, the Adrian character has died, so Talia Shire is luckily spared any further embarassment. There's a fan-site that has more info and part of the "script": http://i.1asphost.com/RockyFan/rocky6.html However, I can find NO OFFICIAL confirmation that this film has been green lighted and it's not listed anywhere as being "in production". If I hear anything further, I'll let you know.

Tom

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Rocky & Adrian are arguably the best romance/marriage depicted in movie history.

No cheating, no beating, no dumping, no divorce.

- where's that in any other film?
let alone in franchises!

The role may be written as a formula, but
she always thas that moment o pep talk inspire him right before the big finale.
Give him focus and encouragement he needs for the challenge.

That's cool imo.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:04 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:First of all, for those who care, Rambo IV is currently in pre-production. Now, on to Rocky VI. The rumors of this movie have been circulating in Hollywood for almost 5 years. While MGM did sign Stallone to develop a story and write a screenplay for Rocky VI back in 2002, nothing, repeat NOTHING ever came from it. His first few treatments were immediately rejected and things got ugly between the parties. Stallone offered to buy the franchise and produce his own movie, to which MGM replied "OK, fine, that'll be $230,000,000 and 15% of the domestic and International gross." Needless to say, he declined.

Now, here's the latest rumor going around. Rocky VI has been written (by Stallone) and Mr.T has signed to reprise his Clubber Lang role. Burt Young is also reportedly signed to reprise his role as Paulie. In this treatment, the Adrian character has died, so Talia Shire is luckily spared any further embarassment. There's a fan-site that has more info and part of the "script": http://i.1asphost.com/RockyFan/rocky6.html However, I can find NO OFFICIAL confirmation that this film has been green lighted and it's not listed anywhere as being "in production". If I hear anything further, I'll let you know.

Tom

Thank you so much Tom for the clarification on this :!:

I did wanna let you know that tonite I picked up 2 new copies of Sly's new mag and in each, there are 2 whole 6 page articles, one in which clearly states:

Exclusive: First look at the actual script from the upcoming ROCKY movie :!:

hmmm...

I'm wondering if this is jus an incentive to sell mo mags... :?:

possibly.

AS much as I loved the first 3 "Rocky" movies, and other sparadic Stallone flix, I certainly would not like to see a 6th "Rocky".

I thought 5 was bad enuff.

ironically, alot of folks I talk too, especially young kids, really enjoy the 5th Rocky... :?

so now it's Rambo IV :?:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:17 am

I thought Conan O'Brien summed up the absurdity of doing a "Rocky VI" at this point in time when Stallone was a guest on his show about a year ago: "Who is he going to fight in this one? Wilfred Brimley?"

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:20 am

I'm a sucker for the Rocky films and recently bought the 5-DVD set. The first two are easily the best, but 3 and 4 have their moments. The last one was flawed as most felt cheated that Rocky never actually stepped in the ring. The rags to riches element was promising, but didn't really come off. I'm not sure whether another installment would be advisable, but I would pay to see it. As I said, I'm a sucker :)

Rambo IV could be a better film if taken down a notch from the over the top antics of the two sequels. The first was a good film and a fourth could work if it concentrated more on that sense of persecution and helplessness the character felt in the original. It should be on home (US) soil without the Rambo saves the day elements.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:48 am

TJ -

You wrote [about a new Rambo film]:
It should be on home (US) soil without the Rambo saves the day elements.

Without him 'saving the day' ?

Not much chance of that !

They'd be more likely to do one where he saves the twin towers or something.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:53 am

ColinB wrote:TJ -

You wrote [about a new Rambo film]:
It should be on home (US) soil without the Rambo saves the day elements.

Without him 'saving the day' ?

Not much chance of that !

They'd be more likely to do one where he saves the twin towers or something.

Well the first film doesn't present Rambo as a hero. It's a film about a man reaching breaking point because he is a drifter who hasn't found his place in society after his return from Vietnam. That's what I meant about the value of borrowing more from the first than the two sequels. But yes, that probably won't happen.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:08 pm

First Blood is a fine film....Rambo does not sit well with me just like anything after the first Rocky.

Though Rocky IV I actually hold a little higher withing the sequals...but not much. Rocky II had more of his Bullmastiff dog. I want a dog like that!

Rocky V, yes lowest of them all..but it did have him saying....YO! I didn't hear no bell. :lol: That and that fact that he doesn't care about getting sued.

I myself bought the original special edition DVD then I got the new one for the DTS track. I put them together in a two disc snap case and put the artwork over the old one, and I got a extra cool set.

Comparisons:

The first DVD has more picture but less in the sound option. It has all the special stuff from commentaries to several documentaries. Don't forget the cool easter egg where Stallone throws a jab at himself. It goes to show how much Stallone acted in the first movie.

*note-I am a big Joe Spinnell fan and I do not believe that Stallone got him the job...but rather the other way around. Spinnell was the type of person to try to get anyone hired, and he knew alot of people to make it happen. Sylvester was a nobody and Joe had already done The Godfather I and II, Stay Hungry, and Taxi Driver.

The second DVD has a DTS track and color correction. I choose to watch this even though there is more cropping. It is a slight improvement, though other then that a barebones disc.

First Blood-The first DVD is a great special edition. I haven't sprung for the second ultimate edition but I might to get the extra stuff. Though they have dropped the DTS tracks so I am in no hurry to double dip. Though the Stallone running commentary is very enticing...is this true? Or is it just another interview? The alternate ending is already seen in the first special edition in a glimpse on the documentary.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:25 pm

I also am a fan of the Rocky series (Rambo, too). I would not hesitate to watch another installment of the set. Rocky IV was a bit over-the-top, to be sure, but it had its place, I suppose. Rocky II was probably my favorite, as I thought it was quite funny.

Bring it on, Sly!!!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:32 pm

genesim wrote:*note-I am a big Joe Spinnell fan.........

Same here, Geno. Joe was a class act and nothing like the somewhat sleazy characters he portrayed onscreen. I thought Maniac was one of his crowning achievements. He was creepy as hell and deplorable, but you end up feeling sorry for the guy. Tom Savini told me once that had Joe given that performance with different subject matter, he would have won an Oscar.

Tom

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:35 pm

Horror has never been appreciated like it should. Maniac is not a great movie..but it does have great acting by Joe. A very sad story for such a well liked guy.

For those that want to see some great stuff, the documentary on Maniac shows Steven Spielburg very young...mad as hell because he didn't get the best director nomination. Spinnell is standing up for him. Very interersting stuff!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:54 pm

I might be in the minority here, but I personally loved Rocky III, because I liked the storyline about Rocky going from nobody to champion, and then forgetting where he came from, rusulting in him being beaten up by Mr. T! Plus, I love the scene in the rematch with with Clubber Lang when Rocky stares down Lang....classic.

As for Rambo, I think another installment of the series would go ever much better right now that a Rocky sequel, because now you could have Rambo fighting islamic terrorists.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:21 pm

Err, I hate to be a party pooper but in Rambo III the good guys were the Afghan rebels, you know the guys that Bin Laden fought with. :shock:

As far as Rocky VI it seems Sly is doing this in order to revive his movie career. And Rocky would be a bit up there in age at this time. Who's he gonna fight and beat, Colin? (I think Colin could take him.)

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:36 pm

I remember Sly saying he would never do Rocky VI. I'll believe it when I see it..and yes I would be a sucker for it too.

As it stands I remember him saying...who is Rocky gonna fight..father time?

Sly should go back to writing screenplays. He has great ability, and he can also act. His choices are his problems. If he wants money, just go back to basics and come up with something from the heart. He could still do it, but as sad as it is..he feels that he has already peaked. He stated you only have one spot in your life..then it is all down hill after that.

Too bad noone ever told him..yeah thats true, but you never know when your highest peak is going to be!

With writing F.I.S.T, Rocky, First Blood, Cliff Hanger, Cobra...this is where he needs to expand on.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:45 am

genesim wrote:I remember Sly saying he would never do Rocky VI. I'll believe it when I see it..and yes I would be a sucker for it too.

As it stands I remember him saying...who is Rocky gonna fight..father time?

Sly should go back to writing screenplays. He has great ability, and he can also act. His choices are his problems. If he wants money, just go back to basics and come up with something from the heart. He could still do it, but as sad as it is..he feels that he has already peaked. He stated you only have one spot in your life..then it is all down hill after that.

Too bad noone ever told him..yeah thats true, but you never know when your highest peak is going to be!

With writing F.I.S.T, Rocky, First Blood, Cliff Hanger, Cobra...this is where he needs to expand on.

I absolutely agree geno...

I've always been a big fan of Stallone, but always felt he often chooses to do the wrong thing.

there have been some real bad ones too. I thought ASSASSINS could have been a good movie, but fell on deaf ears cuz of it's often, sloppy editing, lightweight, kinda sappy "love" association thing going on with that red head, lady actress, (can't remember her name).

I feel, it shoulda been a bit more brutal, ya know?

When it first came out, I didn't really like Copland, but after all this time, I recently watched it again over a friends house and found myself actually liking it. I know sum might "yawn", but hey, it's my opinion.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:18 am

genesim wrote:I remember Sly saying he would never do Rocky VI. I'll believe it when I see it..and yes I would be a sucker for it too.

Sly is for sure wanting to put this together. As one poster has already pointed out he has put several articles together in his new magazine concerning this project. The first two editions I know for sure had a section dedicated with a cartoon like layout depicting the script.

As Tom has pointed out I thing he is having trouble getting this thing punched through. It has been around for quite a while now. It is all up in the air right now other than the fact that Stallone wants this project to happen.

Shooting to start in Dec. 05?
http://i.1asphost.com/RockyFan/rocky6.html

Rocky, Die or Retire?
http://www.spoil-sports.com/RockyVI.htm

And for those of you wondering, the man is in awsome shape...

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:21 am

Maybe, but a 50+ year old man should not get into the ring. Movie or not.

It better be something extraordinary, or fans will never take it seriously and critics will tear it apart.