Off Topic Messages

Prediction: US High Court allows gay marriage within 5 years

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:57 pm

Predictions:
No matter who the next 3-4 Justices to the United States Supreme Court are, and no matter who they replace, gay marriage will be allowed by the Court under the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause. This could be overruled by a Constitutional Amendment, but the 2/3's vote of Congress needed, not to mention the 3/4ths(I think I am right about that) of States needed to ratify the Amendment, would make that option extremely unlikely.

Let's see if the debate can be about whether or not this would occur, not the merits or negatives of actually having gay marriage as case law.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:57 pm

No...because you have to look at the women of this country.

I believe in calling it something else..but calling it a MARRIAGE, is wrong on a hundred levels. Marriage is the union of a man and a women. This is by law.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:13 pm

Law, that passed by legislatures and Congress, has no power under Constitutional scrutiny in the eyes of the Supreme Court. Right or wrong, I am simply stating what will happen; the U.S. Supreme Court will allow gay marriage and nothing short of a U.S. Contitutional Amendment could change it.
This topic is meant to inspire conversation as to whther or not this will occur, the debate on the merits and detriments of gay marriage has occured before time and time again on this board, with no resolution. That debate doesn't interest me. I am more interested in the mechanics of the process, but am probably alone there, lol.
Last edited by scotch on Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:59 am

they should pass it,,, but maybe not call it a marriage but maybe a union of the 2 people 2 men or 2 women,,