Off Topic Messages

Hurricane Katrina

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:41 pm

You know, despite the outcry about the administrations faults...I wonder why no one has commented on the several factors that have recently come out in the news.

What about the 34 people that were left behind in the Nursing home at St. Ritas despite there being proper means of which to evacuate? Instead they were left behind to drown.

What about the reports of the releasing of inmates in the New Orleans Jail and the New Orleans Prison parrish? Many are thought to have made it to the Superdome.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:53 pm

Do you really want to start another thread on this subject??

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:54 pm

Individual aspects of a great tragedy often "go without saying". That does not mean they have not been witnessed by a disbelieving population!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:17 pm

Maurice,
What the Hell is going on!! Your threads lately have been well thought out and quite profound. Will you stop, it's freaking me out!!!

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:23 pm

Gee, and it is ok to have thread after thread in magnification of the supposed Bush administrations short coming..but yet when it comes to HEADLINE NEWS..then we just look the other way?

These are the real tragedies that killed people not some "visual presence" that didn't mean a thing.

How about the GOOD NEWS, that there aren't near the 10,000 plus casualties as expected.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:25 pm

Tom I can't believe you are such a kiss ass to someone who says most of the USA secretly want to live in Ireland????

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:30 pm

genesim wrote:Gee, and it is ok to have thread after thread in magnification of the supposed Bush administrations short coming..but yet when it comes to HEADLINE NEWS..then we just look the other way?


Well........yeah!

First of all, even Bush's people are now saying that they screwed up, so there is no "supposed" short coming. Second of all, your desperate attempts to justify your boy and his actions (or lack thereof) has become the stuff of legend on here. When it gets to the point that Maurice is actually making more sense that you are, well then it's time to pop smoke.

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:33 pm

Bush is the president. You obviously don't have any idea of his role.

The funny part is that you would side with someone that also has no clue about American government.

Bush never admitted anything but him not being happy with the results on the LOCAL LEVEL.

His actions were not lacking, because the power was always in the states hands. Even the governer has admitted this. The National Guard are still under her control, so there isn't a damn thing the president can do about it!

It is legendary because of what reason? That I am actually looking at facts instead of a hate for the administration?

I suppose it is all Bush's fault that not a single casualty can be laid at his feet?

Meanwhile Hundreds of people died because of direct negligence at the local and state level.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:50 pm

genesim wrote:Bush is the president. You obviously don't have any idea of his role.


Well, I'm quite sure that no one has a better understanding than you.

genesim wrote:The funny part is that you would side with someone that also has no clue about American government.


Hey, I'm no happier about agreeing with Maurice than you are. However, he, and quite a few others, have made some very valid and irrefutable points.

genesim wrote:Bush never admitted anything but him not being happy with the results on the LOCAL LEVEL. Meanwhile Hundreds of people died because of direct negligence at the local and state level.


Their entire city was obliterated!!! How the Hell can you possibly hold the local authorities responsible?? They were trying to save their own lives. That's like blaming the traffic helicopters in New York for not stopping 9/11!!

genesim wrote:His actions were not lacking, because the power was always in the states hands. Even the governer has admitted this. The National Guard are still under her control, so there isn't a damn thing the president can do about it!


As you love to point out: HE IS THE PRESIDENT!!! This was a major catastrophe and he could have mobilized the NATIONAL guard immediately instead of sitting on his ass (well, he did go to that Republican fundraiser the day after, so he wasn't really sitting) and waiting while these people tried to survive as the flood waters rose.

genesim wrote:It is legendary because of what reason? That I am actually looking at facts instead of a hate for the administration?


But you aren't looking at ALL the facts. Bush's people said the dropped the ball on this one. Hell, they admit it, why can't you???

Bottom line: His lack of immediate action cost lives.

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:58 pm

New Orleans was obliterated...not the whole state of Louisianna. BIG DIFFERENCE.

The Governer could have handed the power over, but she refused and even got the help of a Senator to back her up.

Bush had memo'd her as early as THURSDAY the week before about taking over the evacuation. Not only did she refuse then, but she is still refusing.

As for 9/11 good point. Bush didn't take over then..so why should he take over now? Are you really that keen on having a federal government take over the rights of the state? Do you really want a country controlled by Federal militia?

As for him sitting on his ass..oh really? So who do you think help get 700 plus national guards men from texas in on the first day in force???

Bush's people never said they dropped the ball. Where are you finding this information??? Bush's people have actually said in public that there has obviously been some shortcomings on the local level and there will be investigations after the disaster is cleaned up.

No I didn't state that ONLY I knew best about the American government, but when you say it is a presidents job to come in and start dropping National Guard troops, then you have seriously made me wonder.

Not only does he have to take the rights away from the state, but he also has to take the rights away from ALL STATES! Tell me where their short comings were? Several states said that they never got a plea at all from Governer Blanco! Despite what you idealize, you cannot just drop National Guard troops on neighboring states because you feel like it.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:07 pm

genesim wrote:Bush's people never said they dropped the ball. Where are you finding this information???


Wrong!!! Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff said on CNN that they could have (and should have) moved much faster and that "the lessons we learned.....will save lives in the future". Granted, he's also the one who said, starting his news briefing last Saturday afternoon: "Louisiana is a city that is largely underwater..." Genius, sheer genius.

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:11 pm

Moving much faster..and dropping the bomb are two entirely different things.

Be careful with that THEY or WE part.

I guess the rest of what I typed just wasn't worth commenting on. Silly constitution. :roll:

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm

genesim wrote:I guess the rest of what I typed just wasn't worth commenting on.


Pretty much!

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:17 pm

Right, true to form. Face it Tom, it doesn't matter what Bush did, you like alot of others are going to hate...even at the expense of who is really to blame.

You are so set on blaming the Presidency you will dismiss every fact and ignore the very law of our land. Perhaps even your freedom!

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:19 pm

genesim wrote:Right, true to form. Face it Tom, it doesn't matter what Bush did, you like alot of others are going to hate...even at the expense of who is really to blame.


Yep, me and the parents of about 1900 dead soldiers.

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:25 pm

Right..and what does that have to do with this again?

You have proved what I said, your hate will mask between right and wrong. How can you even begin to think of a problem being fixed when you will just try to blame our president for everything.

Well I got news for you, it is going to be a long hard road if this mentality keeps up. I want what is best for our country and not to just keep brooding over "mistakes".

I agree with the war in Iraq, but even Likethebike has admitted that the Bush had very little to do with this disaster.

Even more funding with the Levee wouldn't have changed this tragedy.

Face it, it doesn't matter what kind of job he did, you would still hate and try to add to the problem of taking away from everything sacred about our country. There are many that HOPE for the economy to go bad just so a Democrat to get into office. That is sad indeed.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:27 pm

genesim wrote:I want what is best for our country and not to just keep brooding over "mistakes".


Well, you've got about three more years of it.

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:28 pm

Ok Tom you win....or shall I see, with that mentality...we all lose.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:02 pm

genesim wrote:Ok Tom you win....or shall I see, with that mentality...we all lose.


I think what you meant was "or shall I say". And you question, my mentality????

Tom

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:31 pm

Can we at least agree that EVERYONE in the system screwed up:

Pres Bush, Director of FEMA, Governor Of Louisiana, Mayor of New Orleans, The Japanese Abasador, etc.........I believe it's fair to say all of them made errors in handiling this situation, okay.

Let's now work to rebuild the land, help those who are in need, and fix the broken emergency system.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:44 pm

Geno, you have made a noble attempt at educating these ignorant lefties about the actual workings of government, and the real causes of the situation in New Orleans, but the facts get in the way of their Bush-bashing agenda.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:58 pm

genesim wrote:Tom I can't believe you are such a kiss ass to someone who says most of the USA secretly want to live in Ireland????


Sorry for the late reply, but I just saw this ridiculous statement. Far be it from me to be a hopelessly dedicated "kiss ass" to a maniacal, egotistical, moron with an overinflated ego who can never admit when he's wrong.
That's quite obviously your job.

Tom

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:34 pm

Bingo, Tom.

And Scotch, since you've been gone a bit, maybe you don't know
it but it's not just "lefties" who think Bush botched it.
You can say that if it makes you and Sean Hannity feel better
but it doesn't apply. Not that lefties and liberals haven't
had a field day...

But I mostly agree with Big Boss Man, it time to move on and
get the reconstruction / recovery in order.

Before that, let me just post a photo I was sent :shock: :

Image
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:37 pm

That pic totally disproves the notion that Bush doesn't like black people.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:46 pm

"Oh Danny Boy..."

I hate to post such crap, but I couldn't help it.

I do agree the blame game should end and we should
do the best job we can in rebuilding.