Off Topic Messages

Robert Wise has died

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:20 pm

Robert Wise, who won four Oscars as producer and director of the classic 1960s musicals West Side Story and The Sound of Music, has died. He was 91. Wise was nominated for seven Oscars, including the four he won, during a career that spanned more than 50 years. The other nominations were for editing the 1941 Orson Welles classic Citizen Kane, directing 1958's I Want to Live! and producing 1966's The Sand Pebbles, which was nominated for best picture.

More recently, he served as president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and the Directors Guild of America.

Wise directed 39 films in all, including The Day the Earth Stood Still, Run Silent Run Deep, Tribute to a Bad Man, The Curse of the Cat People, The Body Snatcher, The Set-Up, Destination Gobi, Executive Suite, Two for the Seesaw, The Haunting, The Andromeda Strain, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Tom

Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:47 pm

You know despite all the obvious classics, I like his later work too...like Audrey Rose.

R.I.P. to a GREAT director.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:30 pm

RIP Robert Wise. I enjoyed his work.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:58 pm

That's sad. He was a very talented and diverse director. Few have covered as much ground. He was also great for film historians always providing a generous amount of detail about his classic works in interviews, audio commentary etc.

My favorite of his movies is "The Body Snatcher".

He will be missed. Another link to the 20th century gone.