Off Topic Messages

A question for Genesim

Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:40 am

Genesim:

Sorry if this has been debated here before, but I saw a news report today on the 2 new format High Definition DVDs that are being produced by Sony and Toshiba. Apparently Sony say their disc (Blu-Ray) will hold more information but Toshiba say theirs will be ready quicker. Since this is probably your field of expertise, which format are you plumping for? It seems that talks between the two fell apart so we are going to go through another Beta/VHS style format war.

The editor of some gadget magazine said it's best to wait until a format is established by the marketplace, but how will it be established if everyone waits?

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:56 am

I am not going for either till I see more progress.

The Sony Blue ray does indeed hold more...but I am afraid it will be like everything else. Sony has tried to become the standard time and time again and remain a rich man's format. It was them that had the Betamax..which failed, and it was them that have tried the SACD which also has failed to woo people away from the redbook cd.

Still one cannot deny that the blue-ray dvd holding 25 gigs(and 50 gigs for a dual layer) of information has promise.

But the bottom line is that right now with DVD burners dirt cheap, there just doesn't seem to be a hurry. Get all your analong stuff switched over to DVD, then wait for the format war to die down.

Sony has tried time and time again to become the market..and I suspect they might just hit this time, but it is just too early to tell. The Playstation 3 supporting the new format is a step in the right direction and could be the decider.

Still remember you are only as good as the source. Enticing new buyers will mean that you have to have significant improvement. Will all the DVD buyers be willing to jump on yet another new format...I doubt it. Look at how long VHS has taken, and it hasn't been near as popular of a format. My guess is no to the switch over and we will see HDDVD and Blue Ray go the way of SACD vs DVD Audio. Most people just don't care that much. How will it be established....easy, it won't, uless it is just that good. Though buying whole seasons on one disc might helpt the prospect! It would sure cut down on shipping costs. IF they are smart, Sony could use this advantage with the space superiority.

So my vote still. Blue Ray. The thought of having uncompressed audio in sweet 6 channel(or more) sound is too much...add to that more space for better picture. There is room for improvement with current standards, so why not go the complete limit?? Sony has never let me down, but this is still a limited audience. I don't wait for technology to take off, I enjoy it as soon as I can. That said, I wanna wait a bit, because this stuff will be pricey.

For those that wonder....those Multichannel inputs that don't seem to be used...TADA now we are back to them. No more Digital optical cables(my guess). Back to analog, and having a reciever that does it will keep you ahead of the game.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:03 pm

Gene:

Thanks for that. It's true Sony do provide the more attractive option, but then we probably would have said the same thing about Betamax in the early 1980s. And, whilst it may be great for current and future movies, I wonder who would go out and buy Casablanca in the Blue Ray format. Surely we have that as good as we will get it already.

For the likes of me, Blue Ray has the attraction, several years down the line, for use in the home recording market, when you can fit several Hi-Definition broadcasts on to one disc.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:15 pm

I agree completely, when you can burn, that is when it will take off. Problem is, it may never get that far if it doesn't work to the wide audience. I am gonna wait....just maybe not as long as most people.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:49 pm

I must comment further on this. You mentioned Casablanca...well it is true that DVD hasn't captured the full resolution of an original film print. There is lots of information there to be had.

Still will Joe Public care? Who knows, but I will!

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:25 am

So will I genesim. Also in Audio SACD is dying before anything with Elvis is released. Too bad kids are just interested in putting a thousand songs on their ipods and not worrying too much about sound quality.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:05 am

Well at least we got some good surround mixes like The Wall, Dark Side, Miles Davis. So much promise..yet so little support.