Off Topic Messages

Could the U.S. have 40 years of Bush-Clintons?

Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:44 am

Consider this:

1989-1993 George H.W. Bush
1993-2001 William J.B. Clinton
2001-2009 George W. Bush

2009-2013 Hillary R. Clinton
2013-2021 Jeb Bush
2021-2025 Chelsea Clinton
2025-2029 George P. Bush (Jeb's son)

Please discuss without political debates please. 8)

Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:47 am

My personal prediction for the 2008 election:

Rice / Mid-west V.P. defeat H. Clinton / B. Obama

I feel we will rarely see a two white male ticket from either party from 2008 on.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:47 am

That's interesting. I don't really agree. We're always talking depending- on who you are- about Hillary, or Rice or Colin Powell or even Jesse Jackson but when it comes down to it we almost always choose four white males. Even in 2004, Lieberman's Jewish faith was still a minor issue in the 2000 election. It would have been a major issue in say 1960 but it was still an issue. I definitely don't think America is ready for a women at the top of the ticket yet. Not that I'm saying a woman wouldn't do a good job but in many we still have the idea of the powerful woman as a "b*tch". It's sad but I think that's the state of things. I don't know this from any studies but from my interaction day to day with people. I know in my gut this is what the GOP and Democratic analyst see when they take those focus groups.

I also don't think the Clintons or the Bushes will see election to the presidency in any time soon unless they completely separate themselves from their families. They are too polarizing figures. You can see it on this board. Their reps are too stained to swing over those crucial undecideds.

However, at this point anything can happen because we appear to be at one of those transitional points in our history. Depending on the way things like the economy or the war on terror turn out, things can go any way. I really fear what another terror attack or worse multiple attacks within a short span of time can do to a country. When people can get panicky is when democracy is most in danger. Look at what happened with September 11 which was a first at that level. Congress pushed through the Patriot Act in the aftermath and many members had not even read the document yet. I don't want to turn this into a debate on the merits of the Patriot Act. I'm just talking about the haste with which it was adopted. Something wasproposed to make us safer and our leaders didn't even bother to study it.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:52 pm

Hillary Clinton will never win...and I don't see Jeb either. Likethebike has a distinct point. Too polarizing.

But I will say if the Democrats even want to dream of it, they better come up with a stronger candidate. John Kerry the cardboard cutout wasn't near as close as Al Gore...and that was after some serious frauds.

My prediction another Republican will win with ease.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:19 am

genesim wrote:Hillary Clinton will never win.

But if she does, what are the chances that there will be some young, good looking male interns working with her in the Oval Office? She should become the biggest slut Washington D.C. has ever seen.

What comes around, goes around.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:47 pm

No to be a slut, you have to care about the subject. Most people would just be vomiting like watching a freak show. Good for about 5 minutes...then the after effects set in and you must go clean your mind with a wire brush.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:45 pm

I don't think we'll see either Hillary Clinton or Jeb Bush in office (but if Hillary gets elected then we will have a bush in office :) ). McCain and Guiliani are the only republican candidates I find interesting at this point in time. I respect Condi Rice for her achievements as an African-American woman, but I don't see her as presidential material. I'm simply not impressived with her performance as national security advisor or secretary of state. On the democratic side Barak is the only one I find mildly interesting. But given the closeness of the '00 and'04 elections I think Gore and Kerry should throw their hats in the ring. As a moderate independent one thing I'd like to see the DNC do is get Howard Dean out of there!

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:26 pm

My personal prediction for the 2008 election:

Rice / Mid-west V.P. defeat H. Clinton / B. Obama

Won't happen this way here's why-
1)If Hillary Clinton was to be nominated the democrats greatest losses would be in the White Men over 45 category, they traditionally get their ass kicked in that category anyway, but the Republicans nominating Condi would be her saving grace, because:

2) The White Male Southern Republican vote that is the lifeblood of the party would not vote for anyone who is-
a)black
b)a woman
I know this because I am from Arkansas, and have many republican acquaintances who have expressed these views. Most of these guys are still sore over the outcome of the civil war.

3)If Hillary was the nominee, it would increase both minority and women's turnout in the north for the election (due in no small part to Bill Clinton's great standing with these groups)

4) Condi could be hit hard with her negligence on the issue of hurricane Katrina, 4 days after the hurricane hit she was in New York on vacation shopping for shoes, this little venture was ended when another customer yelled at her for not doing her job. When she returned to work the following day, she discovered she was days late in responding to foreign offers for aid. This dispicable irresponsibility would provide all the ammunition the opposition needed to down Condi.

5) If Condi depressed the turnout of the White Male Southern Republican just enough to flip the vote in only 2 southern states that were close before (AR,LA,MO,NC,VA-take your pick) if you look at the vote demographics for each state, you'll realize how possible this is... that's the ballgame- Hillary wins.

The Republicans know this of course which is why they will NEVER nominate a black woman as their candidate- at least not for a long time. It's too far from the campaign to predict who will win (we have over 3 more years for Bush to further screw things up for the Republicans), but here is my predictions for the tickets
Democrat- Hillary Clinton/ Barack Obama
Republican- Rudy Guiliani/ Bill Owens (Governer Colorado)

I think the Republicans will go with Giuliani because after Bush's monumental failure with Hurricane Katrina they are going to want someone who looks like he knows how to deal when disasters strike. He will be a hard sell to their base becuase he has openly supported abortion rights and will be seen as lenient on gay marriage.

GWB has screwed forever Jeb's chances of being president.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:29 am

Condi was shopping for shoes? I'd like the news story for that and also how, if true, that affected Katrina relief.
We didn't need Germany's "cots". Good grief, do the Europeans really think we needed freakin' cots??? And they think Bush is out of touch...

The Republican party will switch from reliance on the white male over 45 to traditional hispanics. I really don't want rednecks in the Republican party anyway(and by that I mean those with backward attitudes, not those who work in the sun to get a red neck). They are not true Republicans in my book, they are populists, fiscal liberals/socially conservative. The libertarian wing of the party is what will gain strength but won't attain a nomination for at least 10 years(unless they change the Cons. allowing the Governator to run for prez).

You say Guiliani will be the nominee. You really think a pro-abortion white male will get the nomination before a pro-life minority/female?

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:34 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Condi could be hit hard with her negligence on the issue of hurricane Katrina, 4 days after the hurricane hit she was in New York on vacation shopping for shoes.

Well, we can't have her running around barefoot now, can we? How would that look?

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:42 pm

Jeb Bush would never get my vote

most likely, Giuliani would. I like the guy.

Jim Nussle

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:00 pm

I believe Guiliani will be the republican nominee in 08 and I don't think Hillary will get the Democratic nod. When it comes down to it I really believe when it comes time to nominate the Democrats will nominate the most electable candidate. And I don't think that will be Hillary. If Rudy wins the Republicans will no longer carry the House and Senate. I think that is where the Dems will focus their collective attention. It will be like they are saying, you can have the Presidency. Now try and get anything done with a Dem Congress or a divided Congress. Obama is too new. Outside of Illinois most Americans vaugely know who he is. People who follow politics know him but that is a small minority of AMericans.
In 2012, look for the current 1st District congressman from Iowa to make a serious run at the Presidency. His name is Jim Nussle and he is giving up his seat to run for governor of our state. He will most likely win and most everyone in Iowa knows who he is and likes him. He will use his expericance on the budget committe and executive expericance as governor as his launch pad. I'm not saying he will win or will even get the nomination but he will at the very least make some serious noise. You will be hearing a lot more about him in 2010.
You read it hear first: Jim Nussle in 2012.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:25 pm

if only a party would nominate:

Archie Bunker/J.R. Ewing as a presidential ticket

Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:38 pm

No one from the current administration is going to gain any traction if they run. And neither will Jeb Bush because he's a Bush.

Hillary Clinton is an unelectable candidate for the following reasons: 1.) She's strictly a blue state candidate, the blue states are blue because of the major cities in these states. These major metropolitian areas are primarily what's keeping the democratic party competitive. She scores with urban liberals and minorities. Her appeal diminishes a bit with suburban voters - particularly white males. And she won't generate much support in rural areas of the south, mid-west, and the mountain/plains states of the west. The minorities in the south will go for her but they're not enough to offset the combined white vote from these aforementioned regions. 2.) She's Hillary Clinton! :lol: