Off Topic Messages

John Lennon's Jukebox

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:41 pm

Last weekend I watched a very interesting and enjoyable programme on the telly; John Lennon's jukebox.

In his days, Lennon always had with him a portable jukebox when going on tour or just travelling, with room for 40 single records on it.

This jukebox was found a few years back, and in this programme various artists and songwriters commented on the records Lennon had chosen for his jukebox.

Among the artists represented on the jukebox was

Otis Redding (My Girl), Fontella Bass (Rescue Me), Donovan, Bob Dylan, Loving Spoonful (Do You Believe In Magic), Wilson Picket, Booker T, Bruce Channell (Hey Baby), Isley Brothers (Twist & Shout), Bobby Parker (Watch Your Step), Gary US Bonds (New Orleans), Gene Vincent (Be Bop A Lula), Little Richard (Slippin' And Slidin') and Ritchie Barrett (Some Other Guy).

Does anyone have the complete listing of the 40 songs included on the jukebox?
Sadly, not every song was discussed in the programme, and no; apparently no Elvis records were included... :wink:

Br
Kristian

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:04 pm

Well, Do You Believe In Magic from Loving Spoonful is a great tune. Coincidence is that I heard this one a couple of minutes ago. :shock:

Thanks for this info.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:02 am

They're all cool tunes. Of course, one of John and the Beatles' many, many attributes was GREAT taste in rock and roll music.

DJC

Here's the list from the PBS website

Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:04 am

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/lennon/songlist.html

Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:35 am

that's really cool. all great songs

Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:14 am

I saw some bits of this on PBS but no E was mentioned. Although because of it I seeked out Otis Redding and his version of "My Girl" is the best I've ever heard, thanks John!

TINML

Re: Here's the list from the PBS website

Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:52 am

Rich Holt wrote:http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/lennon/songlist.html

Thank you very much for posting that link! :lol:

Here's the complete list, for those who don't bother to check out the link:

"In the Midnight Hour"
Wilson Pickett

"Rescue Me"
Fontella Bass

"Tracks of My Tears"
Smokey Robinson

"My Girl"
Otis Redding

"1, 2, 3"
Len Barry

"Hi Heel Sneakers"
Tommy Tucker

"Walk"
Jimmy McCracklin

"Gonna Send You Back to Georgia"
Timmy Shaw

"First I Look at the Purse"
The Contours

"New Orleans"
Gary "U.S." Bonds

"Watch Your Step"
Bobby Parker

"Daddy Rollin' Stone"
Derek Martin

"Short Fat Fannie"
Larry Williams

"Long Tall Sally"
Little Richard

"Money (That's What I Want)"
Barrett Strong

"Hey! Baby"
Bruce Channel

"Positively 4th Street"
Bob Dylan

"Daydream"
The Lovin' Spoonful

"Turquoise"
Donovan

"Slippin' and Slidin'"
Buddy Holly

"Be-Bop-A-Lula"
Gene Vincent

"No Particular Place to Go"
Chuck Berry

"Steppin' Out"
Paul Revere

"Do You Believe in Magic"
The Lovin' Spoonful

"Some Other Guy"
The Big Three

"Twist and Shout"
The Isley Brothers

"She Said "Yeah""
Larry Williams

"Brown Eyed Handsome Man"
Buddy Holly

"Slippin' and Slidin'"
Little Richard

"Quarter to Three"
Gary "U.S." Bonds

"Ooh My Soul"
Little Richard

"Woman Love"
Gene Vincent

"Shop Around"
The Miracles

"Bring It on Home to Me"
The Animals

"If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody"
James Ray

"What's So Good About Goodbye"
The Miracles

"Bad Boy"
The Miracles

"Agent Double O Soul"
Edwin Starr

"I've Been Good to You"
The Miracles

"Oh I Apologize"
Barrett Strong

"Who's Lovin' You"
The Miracles

Some odd choices, maybe, but all in all a great selection of music!

Br
Kristian

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:33 am

TINML wrote:I saw some bits of this on PBS but no E was mentioned. Although because of it I seeked out Otis Redding and his version of "My Girl" is the best I've ever heard, thanks John!

TINML

Make a point of listening to 'I've been loving you too long.' Probably Otis's finest performance.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:20 am

I've seen a CD here in Japan called John Lennon's Juke Box........

Anyone been to the JL museum in Japan? Highly recommended if you ever get the opportunity !

Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:31 am

although i dislike the beatles, especially Paul, John Lennon's IMAGINE is one of the best songs of all time.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:06 am

There are some interesting choices in a selection that is almost flawless. I never knew Lennon was such a mid-60s soul fan. I mean I know there were Motown remakes and some soul covers early on but there is so little of that flavor in their post-1965 music.

I love that Paul Revere and the Raiders' terrific "Stepping Out" is in there. It shows that Lennon's ears were opened to what was going on in American garage rock and that he wasn't unduly influenced by non-muiscal considerations like the silly outfits the Raiders wore. I suspect many of his Pepper era fans would have scoffed at the Raiders. They were really kind of a great group until they descended into a mediocre lounge act after Mark Lindsay took completely over.

The Ray record is also an interesting surprise. Ray's "Got My Mind Set on You", an album track, later became a huge hit in a radically revised remake by bandmate George Harrison. "Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody" is by far the better record though, a wonderful piece of low key sophisticated soul caught in between what the Drifters were doing and some of the stuff that was happening down South at the time. It's presence in the collection shows Lennon's real devotion to rock and R&B music. He had to look to find this music. This record didn't even make the Pop Top 20 here and I can't imagine it getting much play in Europe.

I also find the Williams' tracks to be interesting. It's not a surprise because the Beatles covered a few Williams tracks. However, it's a good addition to rock scholarship because with the exception of "Short Fat Fannie" no Williams track ever made the Pop Top Ten while say many Avalon records did. The influence that Williams had on acts like the Beatles and the fact that many of his records have survived and are known by fans today is an indication that the pop charts were not always the best example of what was going on at the time. Of course, we know this but it's easy to forget.

I also like the inclusion of "Hey Baby". I think its inclusion shows a bit of what made the Beatles superstars of superstars. The kind of breezy pop exemplified by this record informs all the Beatles early stuff giving it a kind of light kiddiness that makes it impossible to dislike. Compared to the Stones or the Animals or the Who, the Beatles were just more fun and fun is an underrated quality.
Last edited by likethebike on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:27 am

LTB, I echo your sentiments. Lovely post!

DJC

Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:04 pm

After watching the show, I went out and bought the Lovin' Spoonful's Greatest Hits and from that got all of their albums!