Off Topic Messages

The Outsiders

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:42 pm

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page ... =1&Cur=513

If you have a Region 1/Region free machine, buy it :) A great film and now featuring an Elvis soundtrack too!!

The link might be for UK/European buyers only.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:20 pm

I was so pissed when I watched the news last night... because they did like a big re-release of the film at a Theater in Tulsa with some of the stars and the author of the book there. Did it up sorta like a hollywood premier. I didn't know about it... I would have loved to have gone to that, this is one of my favorite movies! Oh well I'm looking forward to getting the DVD! Wish I could have gone to that showing yesterday though! :evil:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:25 am

That's too bad Jeff. You could have "stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house..." :wink:

Stay gold :)

Re: The Outsiders

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:45 am

TJ wrote:http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=709791&id=0&adudisc=y&cpage=1&Cur=513

The link might be for UK/European buyers only.

http://www.play.com

Top link is for anyone with a REGION free of 1 player so it can be good for the world if someone like"s to get it i would say TJ.

Never heard off this flick :oops: ,good reviews guy"s :?:

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:03 pm

TJ wrote:That's too bad Jeff. You could have "stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house..." :wink:

Stay gold :)

That ending always makes me start bawlin! LOL Thats why I have to watch this movie alone!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Re: The Outsiders

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:08 pm

iamhekev wrote:Never heard off this flick :oops: ,good reviews guy"s :?:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086066/

Hope this helps!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:29 pm

This is one of those movies where it is grand on the look, but short on the story.

Still, while oozing with absolute CHEESE, there is something lasting about it.

I am skeptical about the rumored added Elvis Presley stuff and it being extended...but at the same time I am at least looking forward to a rent. I own the original version and if anything is added then I am likely to keep it.

One of my favorites as well though. What an incredible cast.

Favorite of course "Dally".

Question that I always wanted to know...they did indeed cause the fire in the church right? Always thought it was strange how many kids were in the church and the field trip guy willing to let so many kids burn!!!

Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:43 pm

here is the big ol' press release

Francis Ford Coppola’s Production of S.E. Hinton’s
THE OUTSIDERS - The Complete Novel

BURBANK, Calif., June 13, 2005 - The Outsiders: The Complete Novel -- Francis Ford Coppola’s 1983 film adaptation of the renowned S.E. Hinton best seller -- arrives September 20 from Warner Home Video (WHV) as a restored Two-Disc DVD.

Coppola, a five-time Academy Award®-winner, has added 22 minutes to The Outsiders, including a new beginning and an ending which is more true to the book and enriches the characters’ relationships.

Said Coppola, "The Outsiders is a teenage epic, beloved by so many young people -- junior high school students especially -- and it’s often their first important experience with literature. It’s always bothered me that, in the rush to distribution, so much of the novel was edited out. Once, after showing the original version to my granddaughter's high school class, where so many kids asked 'but what about the other parts of the story?’ -- I resolved I would restore it to be the complete novel. I just felt the film would be better if it played much longer. Warner Bros. agreed with this thought, and we both became excited to bring the entire story to the screen."

Coppola has also added a brand new rock ‘n’ roll soundtrack with six songs from Elvis Presley and from Van Morrison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, The Marketts, Sandy Nelson and others. "I had always hoped the film could have an all Elvis Presley score," noted Coppola, "which turned out not to be possible at the time. Now we have reconceived the score, based on what these characters would be listening to, while still retaining the movie’s great original song, ‘Stay Gold’ by Carmine Coppola and Stevie Wonder."

The impressive array of young actors who starred in The Outsiders include C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise and Leif Garrett. "So many of the young and talented cast have gone on to great success that I think the new length will be that much more fascinating to audiences," Coppola added.

The idea for The Outsiders began with a letter to Francis Ford Coppola from a school librarian in Fresno, California, stating that the faculty and students had nominated the director to make a movie of their favorite novel; the letter was personally signed by 110 students. "What I am most proud of in this new release is that the film is now the truest expression of the novel. And of course, that I was able to be responsive to these kids’ letter," said Coppola.

S.E. Hinton’s book has sold 12 million copies to date and has been translated into 21 languages. It is taught in schools nationwide and continues to find new fans with each new generation. The Outsiders was first published in 1967, when Hinton was only 17. Her other popular titles are Rumble Fish (Coppola’s second Hinton adaptation), That Was Then, This Is Now and Tex.

The movie version of The Outsiders -- like the book -- struck a powerful chord with audiences, capturing the intense feelings of being caught between childhood and adulthood, and not belonging anywhere. A classic coming-of-age story, The Outsiders is set in gritty Tulsa, Oklahoma during the early 1960s and centers on a teen rivalry between two opposing groups: the Greasers (poor kids) and the Socs (socials, the rich kids).

C. Thomas Howell stars as Ponyboy, the youngest of three orphaned boys who are members of the Greasers. When Ponyboy and his friend Johnny (Ralph Macchio) get into a deadly confrontation one night, the two are forced to flee from the law and must grow up quickly. Matt Dillon stars as the tough-as-nails leader of their group and Patrick Swayze appears as Ponyboy's oldest brother.

The Outsiders: The Complete Novel will be in widescreen and will be filled with previously unavailable bonus content, including new commentaries by the director and several of the actors; three new documentaries, three featurettes, deleted scenes and more. The Outsiders: The Complete Novel will be available for $26.99 SRP.

Limited theatrical engagements will begin September 9 in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Washington, D.C., Boston, Dallas, Chicago and Minneapolis.

DVD Details

Disc 1: The Movie

All-New Digital Transfer from Restored Picture Elements
All-New Soundtrack Score Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
"Watch The Outsiders: The Complete Novel with Francis Ford Coppola
- New Introduction and audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
"Watch The Outsiders: The Complete Novel with the Greasers and a Soc"
- New Introduction and Commentary by C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze
Languages: English
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (Feature Film Only)

Disc 2: Special Features

"Staying Gold"- A look back at The Outsiders
"S.E. Hinton on Location in Tulsa"
"The Casting of The Outsiders" - Features producer Fred Roos
"Readings" - Seven cast members do readings of Hinton’s descriptions of the characters they played.
Deleted Scenes
"The Outsiders Started by Student Petition" - Filmed segment from NBC’s The Today Show featuring librarian Jo Ellen Misakian and many of the students from the Lone Star school, plus coverage of a special Fresno student screening attended by some of the film’s cast.
Original Theatrical Trailer
New 2005 Trailer
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel

Street date: September 20, 2005
Pricing: $26.99 SRP
Rating: PG-13
Run Time: 114 Mins

DVD Review

http://tinyurl.com/dzysa

and another review

Got an early peek at this one last night. Quick impressions: The new soundtrack gets rid of Carmine Coppola's beautiful score and replaces it with a LOT of Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis tunes. Other scenes that played out without music in the theatrical cut now have music playing in the background as well. It's like watching an entirely different movie and it is NOT, in my opinion, an improvement. BTW, the Stevie Wonder and Van Morrison tunes are still there. The transfer is OK, although the flesh tones seem a little too pale.

The reinstated footage is fascinating, especially for fans of the novel (there is a LOT of new stuff), but Coppola was wise to have cut it the first time around, since most of it just slows down the narrative (and a lot of it isn't very well acted, either, especially Rob Lowe's scenes).

Haven't listened to the commentaries yet or watched the main retrospective documentary on the second disc, but I did check out a few of the other extras, including a GREAT 15-minute segment on the casting process (which includes a lot of the original audition videotapes; see Anthony Michael Hall reading for Ponyboy, etc.) and another very cool, recently filmed extra in which some of the cast members (Howell, Lane, Dillon, Macchio, Garrett and Swayze) read passages from the novel. There is a neat little featurette with S.E. Hinton revisiting the filming locations and another compilation of additional scenes which includes an alternate opening and closing sequence. That section also includes a scene from the theatrical cut that is not in the new version (classy of WB to throw that in).

Basically, if you're a fan of the film and the novel, you'll definitely want to check this set out. But you'll also want to hang on to the original version. That's the one I'll be pulling off my shelf next time I feel like watching the movie.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:16 pm

I think I will PASS on this one.

Cut music and tinkered endings means no buy for me.

I wish they would have included the original version at least. I will rent it, but I can't see any of this being an improvement.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:53 pm

Thank you Jeff for the link.

I have SEEN this flick...MANY time"s :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

And i go along with TJ,in that it"s a good film...as for it coming out in SE...all the better for it,as when FORD go"s back to film"s to give them the TREATMENT (godfather,acop...yes that cough),he does a good job.

As GEN point"s out,each to there own.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:45 am

I would have thought they would have at least given us the original film to go along with the new cut!!!

I dunno, I'm still conflicted about this DVD re-release even tho I loved this movie as a young kid.

I might get it, I might not.

we'll see on Sept. 20th...

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:21 am

Anyone else picked this up yet? I absolutly love the new version of this film, with the new soundtrack! The first time I watched it I didn't really like the new songs in the movie. Now that I have watched it a number of times. I think they fit in really well. Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, very cool! The added scenes are fantastic!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:41 am

JEFF d wrote:Anyone else picked this up yet? I absolutly love the new version of this film, with the new soundtrack! The first time I watched it I didn't really like the new songs in the movie. Now that I have watched it a number of times. I think they fit in really well. Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, very cool! The added scenes are fantastic!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

yes jeff, I did purchase this DVD a few weeks back and I was quite surprised.

I was skeptical at first about the use of Elvis music, but now that I watched it twice, it makes more sense.

The picture, IMO, has been brilliantly restored and the soundtrack, as you well know, sounds great. I love the way Coppola incorporated Elvis' Mystery Train into the scene where Johnny and PonyBoy jump the train. KOOL 8)

And the second "Bonus" disc is a real treat for fans of the actors and for anybody curious as to what they look like now and how they feel/felt about this movie, then and now...

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:55 am

Very cool minkahed! I'm glad you like the new version also! This movie was filmed not very far from where I live. I have always been intrigued with it on that level, as well as being one of my favorites through the years. After watching the second disc showing "S.E. Hinton in Tulsa"... I felt inspired. So Sunday morning I went to Tulsa and found some of the places in the movie! My first stop was at the Admiral Twin Drive-in, then I found the Circle theater that is now shown in the new version of Ponyboy walking out of the theater! Very cool! Then next I found Ponyboys house. lol It is much smaller in person, and even more dumpy now! I also went to the park where Johnny killed Bob at the fountain! The fountain is gone in the park and its just a big circle concrete slab now. Then I went and had a wonderful breakfast at a Route 66 restaurant just up the way, and they had pictures of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, and Lucy all over the walls, lots of 50s and Route 66 memorabila. It was quite a fun morning! :D

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:33 am

minkahed wrote:
The picture, IMO, has been brilliantly restored and the soundtrack, as you well know, sounds great. I love the way Coppola incorporated Elvis' Mystery Train into the scene where Johnny and PonyBoy jump the train. KOOL 8)

Yes that is very cool, love that part! I also thought it was neat how FFC added in Blue Moon when the boys are leaving the drive-in and out on the lot, the use of Milky White Way when they are at the church in the country. Also how FFC uses Elvis' Tomorrow Is A Long Time as a running theam song through the move. All of the music works very well the new begining of the film when Ponyboy is leaving the theater and getting run down by the Socs, with Jerry Lees' Real Wild Child playing. Carl Perkins' Lend My Your Comb when the boys are cutting each others hair. I'm also very glad FFC kept in those songs Gloria & Stay Gold.

The added scenes are really great... one of the new ones that really got me was when Two-bit and Ponyboy are leaving the hospital room after Johnny passed out cold. You hear Johnnys mom screaming in the hallway, and she starts call the boys punks and bums and Two-bit is crying(he is usually the big cut up of the group) and tells her No wonder he hates you you goddamned drunk! Also another scene that really got to me was you know how much Ponyboy likes Cherry so much even though she is a soc.... he thinks she is different from the rest. He tells Johnny at the sunrise that he could never tell anyone about the sunrise but Johnny and Sodapop & maybe Cherry Valance... Then a new scene that FFC plugs in at the end you see Cherry snub Ponyboy at school, and you can just see the waves of disappointment come over him... and he just has to walk away with another disappointment in his back pocket. These were just some of the new parts I thought made the film even more fleshed out.

The commentaries are just great on this set also. "Watch the movie with the greasers and a soc"! 8)

FFC = Francis Ford Coppola

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:37 am

what Elvis song plays over the Opening Credits?

(that original Stevie Wonder theme sucks!)

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

Still the same song on the opening and closing credits. The movie is edited a little different at first of the film, as the credit plays first and then they show Ponyboy writing his story for english class. The credits at the first are done a little different with the art work and all also. I love that Stevie Wonder song, it works perfect in the movie.

JEFF d
Elvis fan