Off Topic Messages

Remake of horror The Omen (another destruction of a classic)

Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:37 am

Well once again Hollywood tries to go back and ride the back of a horror classic. How is it we had so many classic horror films in the 60's and 70's but now Hollywood couldn't crank out a decent horror film if the film industry depended on it? Save 'The Others' I can't think of a decent flick over the past ten years!

For those interested .....

PRAGUE (AFP) - A remake of the American horror film "The Omen" is to be shot in the Czech Republic and Croatia, a spokeswoman for Prague's Barrandov studio said.

Omen 666, the remake of the 1976 original, will be directed by John Moore and star Liev Schreiber and Julia Stiles in leading roles, said the spokeswoman, Dusana Chrenekova. "Work on the set, including the interior of the house where the plot takes place, has just begun at Barrandov studio and filming will begin on October 7," she said.

The film tells the story of a couple who unintentionally adopt the Anti-Christ, born on June 6 at 6 a.m.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:08 pm

I don't know what the frenzy is in remaking good to great films. They're fine the way they are. There is little to add. The goal should be to remake flawed or incomplete films, something where there was a good idea that went off the rails in execution.

Half the time these remakes are pointless and forgettable. Does the 2001 remake of "Planet of the Apes" even have fans for instance? It's useless but not quite as useless as the late 1990s remake of "Psycho."

I don't think the prospects for the modern horror film are as bleak as you think. But I understand some of the problems. For the past 30 years, there has been an overreliance on gore. And also while teen horrors have been a staple of the genre since the '50s including many good films, the industry seems to have given up on grown up horror. What's amazing is that Hollywood produces so few original horror films while the best seller book lists are filled with horror authors. There's gotta be some good stuff out there.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:32 pm

likethebike wrote: Half the time these remakes are pointless and forgettable. Does the 2001 remake of "Planet of the Apes" even have fans for instance?

No. But the 1968 masterpiece does have fans! One right here.

(even a big fan of the 3rd one "Escape From"; so-so about the rest)

---

these remakes are the result of 2 things:

dearth of new story ideas

but a harvest of new visual tech

and a fetish to upgrade old stories

and so these latest horror flix all look and sound the same as a new formula.

A. Morphing faces and shadows

B. the "shhhllliiiing" of a knife blade must be added now - even if there's no knives on screen

C. the quick-edit: faucet drips water / faucet drips blood / faucet drips water again

wow - scary

-- these remakes is a trend of "re-imagining" due to CGI

Re: Remake of horror The Omen (another destruction of a clas

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Well once again Hollywood tries to go back and ride the back of a horror classic. How is it we had so many classic horror films in the 60's and 70's but now Hollywood couldn't crank out a decent horror film if the film industry depended on it? Save 'The Others' I can't think of a decent flick over the past ten years!

Here's a few for ya Gyp: Jeepers Creepers; The Ring; Darkness Falls; They; The Boogyman. The Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty intense too! And Dracula 2000 was an interesting variation on the Count.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:51 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Here's a few for ya Gyp: Jeepers Creepers; The Ring; Darkness Falls; They; The Boogyman. The Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty intense too! And Dracula 2000 was an interesting variation on the Count.

I guess I meant horror films that will be regarded as classic and origingal.

All you listed were fine movies with the exception of Darkness Falls and Boogeyman. Those would be at the bottom of my list...

I agree Dawn of the Dead wasn't bad but the original is far better. Even my skaterboy son who does not like anything old agrees.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:11 am

Well you're right about the lack of classic horror BG. To me the problem started with those damnable Friday the 13th flicks. Have a disfigured crazed killer mutilate teenagers (preferably after, or even during sex) in various extremely violent and graphic ways. No real plot of which to speak. The first Nightmare On Elm Street was pretty original, but then it got into sequel-itis.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:42 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Here's a few for ya Gyp: Jeepers Creepers; The Ring; Darkness Falls; They; The Boogyman. The Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty intense too! And Dracula 2000 was an interesting variation on the Count.

I guess I meant horror films that will be regarded as classic and origingal.

All you listed were fine movies with the exception of Darkness Falls and Boogeyman. Those would be at the bottom of my list...

I agree Dawn of the Dead wasn't bad but the original is far better. Even my skaterboy son who does not like anything old agrees.

The Sixth Sense probably ranks as one of the most original and best horror films ever. That's if you place it in the horror category and I think it should be. There have been quite a few chillers/horror films I've enjoyed recently, including Gothika, Hide and Seek, The Ring and Ring Two. All are a welcome departure from the bland teen slasher flicks of the 80s.