Off Topic Messages

Most Widely Met Prejudice

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:51 pm

Forget sexism.

Forget racism.

Forget discrimination based on disability.

The most widely experienced prejudice in the UK is.......................

ageism !!

Yes, old farts like me suffer worse discrimination than any ethnic minority group !

It's true !

The first major study into the subject has released its findings.

A professor Abrams says "Age is in the eye of the beholder, but age prejudice seems to be ubiquitous in British society"

I'm a member of an oppressed minority group, and didn't even know it !

And before any of you young bloods start smirking, let me remind you that this prejudice starts for those aged 44+ !

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:55 pm

Colin

Well, isn't ageism discrimination based on disability?

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:00 pm

Torben -

See ?

I rest my case !

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:22 pm

Shut up and eat your Tapioca!!

Tom

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Tom -

Nurse hasn't finished putting it through the strainer yet.

On a technical note:

I made reference to 'old farts' on this thread.

When I did the same on the 'All Elvis' bit, it got automatically changed to 'old fools'.

Strange !

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:30 pm

Colin

you wrote:On a technical note:

I made reference to 'old farts' on this thread.

When I did the same on the 'All Elvis' bit, it got automatically changed to 'old fools'.

Strange !

Not strange. It's just showing that you don't know what you're doing anymore.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:53 pm

Not strange. It's just showing that you don't know what you're doing anymore.

Who said that ?

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:58 pm

Are you still alive??

Tom

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:41 pm

Colin, I do hope you're taking our mild jousting in good humor or "humour."

This board is enriched by the fans who were there when it happened
in the '50s and onward.

It'll be a sad day indeed when we are all running on the "fumes"
of latter-day fandom. We already may be there since he's been
gone almost 30 years.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:51 pm

Greg -

You wrote:
Colin, I do hope you're taking our mild jousting in good humor or "humour."

It's my sense of humour keeps me going !

And don't worry, I can give as good as I get !

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:16 am

I definitely believe that. It's even more so here where we have an entire culture based aroun those 18-34. Most products even fear a slight association with older groups. And of course along with poor whites and gays, it's one of the few groups where name calling is still in vogue. "Old bat, old goat etc." Even the phrase "old man" is considered perjorative.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:43 am

Still a poor show to bring this up...when if! you put your mind on it,you could still push the mower.

EEE lad,do they mind how many bags o pandrops tis could get for a boab?,still have money fir bag o chips and fare home on tram that nose.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:39 am

carolynlm wrote:I'll snot him one day. I suppose then if I do snot him, I can say I can't remember doing it..... 8)

Whats wrong with yer sleeve?. :?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:27 am

Hey Colin....that is a pity....I SAID HEY COLIN THAT IS A PITY

Is he understanding me? Can somebody let him know this message in his good ear?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:35 pm

Isn't there a law coming in in the UK regarding the fact that you will not be able to discriminate against people because of there age? so you should be OK Colin

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Isn't there a law coming in in the UK regarding the fact that you will not be able to discriminate against people because of there age? so you should be OK Colin

might as well pass a law making it illegal to f@rt.

How can you prove discrimination?

without mind-reading you cannot prove why anybody was "not nice" to someone else.

It's all just excuses for people to go crying to lawyers, "Please sue someone for me! Sue them! I've been offended. I've been discriminated against. Sue!"

can most forms of discrimination even be proven as such? not really.

If I give you the finger in traffic, you can simply assume it was for x, y, or z reasons.

I guess if you're over 40 the finger gesture an act of ageism?

If you're black, the finger gesture is an act of racism?

silly sh*t.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:20 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:Isn't there a law coming in in the UK regarding the fact that you will not be able to discriminate against people because of there age? so you should be OK Colin

might as well pass a law making it illegal to f@rt.

How can you prove discrimination?

without mind-reading you cannot prove why anybody was "not nice" to someone else.

It's all just excuses for people to go crying to lawyers, "Please sue someone for me! Sue them! I've been offended. I've been discriminated against. Sue!"

can most forms of discrimination even be proven as such? not really.

If I give you the finger in traffic, you can simply assume it was for x, y, or z reasons.

I guess if you're over 40 the finger gesture an act of ageism?

If you're black, the finger gesture is an act of racism?

silly sh*t.

you're right but that is how it's going, where I work, the company gives long service awards to people who have been there 25 years, when this new law passes they won't be able to do that because it could discrimininate against a younger person who has only been there a short time, ridiculous I know, but that's the law, probably set by someone like Inspector Clouseau

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:35 pm

What about Fat people..Ugly people... I completely agree. You just gotta do the best with what you were given, and go on. There will always be prejudice, but ultimately it is how you carry yourself.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:49 pm

Finding a happy medium is the key. Changing hearts, and not laws.

Even still, if you work on changing hearts too much, any innocent jibe
is now suspect. I fear we will become humorless and as GG points
out, you better have a lawyer if you want to make even innocent
jokes in a public setting. It's just not happening anymore. People
take themselves too seriously. That's why I find stand-up comedy
(when it's uncensored) to be a radical breath of fresh air.

LTB is right that terms like "White Trash" are still fine
for some people -even among people who are white and come from
modest backgrounds. It's a way to make one feel superior to others.
That's one of the things I find most compelling about Elvis' all-American,
rags-to-riches success story. No blue-blood ever had that kind of magic.
Even still, people look down on Elvis and his fans.

It's now verboten to call gays "fags," etc. but one could still make a case
that "the lifestyle" is religiously and sincerely immoral to some. I don't think we should lock up or penalize social conservatives for disdaining "the gay lifestyle" but I also think we must somehow balance the rights of people to be left alone. Redefining "marriage" is a perfect example where the collision happens. One person's "tolerance" is another's immorality and how society reconciles that will be interesting.
My bet is that gay "marriage" ain't gonna fly but tolerance will increase
of gays.

I think with age, the presumption is that we're all going to get old,
so some innocent cracks come from this reality. And we don't really respect the elderly in our culture in terms of health care, medication, etc.,
or at least the USA.
The message is very much "you're on your own" compared to some countries. The profiteering alone that goes on medication here is an
insult to people who worked hard, have pensions and "played by the
rules."

And yes, the the 18-34 age bracket is worshipped. It's a good reason why
network TV today largely stinks. No writer past a certain age gets to
stick around and the weak cultural material reflects that.

Life's a bitch. :shock: :?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:14 pm

Testing:

Fool, Fool, Farts, farts .

Seems the plural is okay, so more than one Fool is deemed good enough to be published, but a single Fool is just not worthy of anyone except a fool.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:35 pm

Steve_M wrote:Testing:

Fool, Fool, Farts, farts .

Seems the plural is okay, so more than one Fool is deemed good enough to be published, but a single Fool is just not worthy of anyone except a fool.

Who are you fooling? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:11 pm

Interesting how the 40 year old virgin, As Good As It Gets, Lost In Translation..etc. turn out to be successes. Maybe we should hit more on the older WOMEN is descriminated against the most in this reference.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:57 pm

Today Maureen and I took a ride to the coast and looked across beautiful Dublin bay down to the county Wicklow mountains in "the garden of Ireland" 40 miles away. (See photo 10 on the link. Click to enlarge it)
A grown man was picking blackberries to make Jam, we exchanged greetings and went on our way admiring the rich colours of the rocky Howth headland.
Rain was forcast but the sun was out and the Irish sea was crashing gently on the rocks below us.
Cormorants and Herons were fishing and a gentle breeze kept us cool as we passed a Martelo Tower built by the British circa 1812 in case of a french invasion. It's been converted into a home..possbly by a U2 member? or was his in Dalkey across the Bay? My Memory! We must be getting old:-)

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe ... lin/Howth/

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:16 pm

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:40 pm

Now, now, let's keep the peace... :D
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.