Off Topic Messages

Bob Denver Dies

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Just learned that Bob Denver of the great tv show Gilligan's Island has passed away at age 70.

I grew up watching reruns of this show every day after school, like many of you probably did, so it's sad to see this happen.

Rest in peace little buddy, and thanks for all the good times.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:56 pm

I just heard about this, too, and am very saddened by it. He was a huge hero of mine as a kid. Ironically, I believe Bob Denver was born one day after Elvis, on January 9, 1935.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:05 pm

RIP Bob Denver. Like so many others I grew up with Gilligan's Island. Yeah, it was silly, but kids loved it (and still do).

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:32 pm

Seventy is too young. Meeting and interviewing Bob on his 1993 book tour was a personal highlight. In person he was just as kind as his TV persona. He mentioned that although he never made much money from the eternal reruns of "Gilligan's Island," being a permanent, pleasant childhood memory for thousands of people young and old was not a bad thing.

DJC

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:44 pm

May God forever bless Mr. Denver for all the happy times he brought to this child.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 pm

R.I.P. Bob Denver.

I too met him and got his autograph, back in the 1970s.

I'd prefer to remember and mourn the loss of the guy who played Maynard G. Krebbs. Or as the star of the Far-out Space Nuts.

Gilligan was a stupid show.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:59 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:I'd prefer to remember and mourn the loss of the guy who played Maynard G. Krebbs. Or as the star of the Far-out Space Nuts.

Perhaps it was to you. To me, it was a permanent, pleasant childhood memory.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:18 am

R.I.P. Gilligan

8)

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:28 am

KHoots wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:I'd prefer to remember and mourn the loss of the guy who played Maynard G. Krebbs. Or as the star of the Far-out Space Nuts.

Perhaps it was to you. To me, it was a permanent, pleasant childhood memory.

when I was a kid I thought was a funny show _ iw atched it.

But it's one of the shows that today I have no interest in ever seeing again (like IDOJeannie) --- bored to tears by them.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:02 am

Maynard G. was his best role but even with the limitations of the show he was a pro as Gilligan and it's the professionalism of the cast of that show that makes it watchable despite the inane plots which are great for kids but boring for adults. This is especially sad because not only does it sever another link between now and the twentieth century but also because in his two most famous roles, Denver was an icon representing youth. It's very sad.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:11 am

It's seems that all those greats from my childhood are slipping away. Unfortunately all good things don't last forever........

Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 am

I saw him one time in a late '60s artys mod movie with sexy Jacqueline Bisset.

name?

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:15 am

I'm glad to see that the information concerning Bob's death has finally been released. Bob was right here in Winston-Salem when he died Friday with Dreama and the kids by his side. He was an incredibly generous man, who always made time for the fans he adored. No matter how many times I asked him to send autographed items for charity auctions, he never once refused. In fact, he often sent several items, including some from his personal collection. I produced a charity auction several years back for the March of Dimes and Bob sent both an original signed script and signed prop coconut from Gilligan's Island. All I asked for was a picture. That's the kind of guy he was.

We were talking once and the subject of Elvis came up and he got this real serious look on his face. He then said (in a tone that I'd never heard from him before) "Y'know, I missed being Elvis by one day." He was born on January 9th, 1935. He then burst out laughing.

My heartfelt condolences go out to Dreama, Patrick, Colin, Megan and Emily. Bob took a simple role and made it a cultural icon. He will be missed.

Tom

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:53 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:I saw him one time in a late '60s artys mod movie with sexy Jacqueline Bisset.

name?

The Sweet Ride. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063662/

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:51 am

Thanks TJ.

I remember his short-lived western comedy "Dusty's Trail" (paired with Forest Tucker?)
and that Saturday morning sci-fi show.

I have fond memories of Denver's place on TV and in my childhood yet for me, GI is my least fav of his stuff.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:24 am

R.I.P Little Buddy!

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:29 am

seriously, I jus loved him...

I heard the news today and I got this lil feeling...

I grew up watchin' Gilligan's Island all those years ago...

you jus don't know how much it bettered my day when I was feelin' like sh*t to watch that show and come out on the other side thinkin', "I guess it's not that bad..."

R.I.P Bob Denver!!!

Skipper: "Gilligan, I'm not that fat..."

Gilligan: "Sure you are skipper"!!! LOL

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:21 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:......and that Saturday morning sci-fi show.

GG,
That was Far Out Space Nuts with the great Chuck McCann way back in 1975.

Tom

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:35 pm

Hey Tom
Was it Bob Who Help to put out Gilligan's Island T.V series on dvd.

RIP Bob.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:44 pm

Curtis,
Bob certainly wasn't against the series' release on DVD, but he did choose not to be involved. I would have to say the creator Sherwood Schwartz played the biggest role in getting the series to DVD. Bob declined the offer to record an introduction to the sets and also declined to do any commentary. I never did hear why, but found it odd because he was very proud of the show that made him a star. I was told of Bob's death late Friday, and watched all 3 seasons over the long weekend. He will be missed.

Tom

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:50 pm

I agree with GG that the show didn't age well, but with a good
sense of nostalgia, it does takes me back.

Later on I discovered the even-older "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis,"
which definitely stands up very well. He plays a loveable dirty hippie,'
I mean, a beatnik in the show. It's very under-rated and its
writing is much sharper. If it had
been in color, it might have gained a later audience.

"WORK..??!"

RIP, Bob Denver.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:33 am

Thank's tom for the info.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:41 am

I loved Maynard!! Still do. Are there any DVDs of Dobie out? Bob, we miss you. RIP

Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:50 am

Dobie Gillis show was great - wish it was still airing somewhere.

As for Gilligan (for me, a show we love to hate) I do fondly recall the episode where Gilligan dreamed he was Dracula -
that would have to be my favorite episode.

But as for that silly program overall, I suggest Schwartz Co. compile the clips of the girls onto a MaryAnn/Ginger highlights dvd!!!
and chuck the rest of the footage into the loo.

It was Rebecca's seafaring maritime father, on an episode of Cheers, who said it best:

"If those castaways would get together and shoot Gilligan, they'd be off that island in a week."

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:57 am

I've avoided it so far, but couldn't help noticing that a promo
clip of the remake move (last year?) featured a "Mary Ann/ Ginger"
embrace / roll in the hay of sorts. :shock: :lol:

"Dobie" does belong on DVD if he isn't. To have a show that
so readily made fun of having to go to work, etc. was a
revalation being that it came from the early '60s.

They did a latter day re-make of DOBIE GILLIS in the last

five years, for those of you who missed it