Off Topic Messages

I Like Ike - Words Of Wisdom

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:56 am

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history.

"There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are very stupid."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1954

-----

It's a shame we don't have this Republican in the Oval Office.

DJC

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:10 am

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with what I am about to say, because I don't get into politics on here. However, I did think it was funny at the time.

This past Saturday night, I went to see a certain country music entertainer (who shall be nameless here) in concert. During the show, he asked if anyone bought gas before they came to the concert. Most of the people applauded that they did, but also let it be known that they were upset with the prices. He then explained:

The problem is very simple. We have an oil checking problem in the United States. Here's what I mean when I say an oil checking problem.

We have oil wells all over the U.S. We have them in Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Alaska and Louisiana. However, all of the dipsticks are in Washington D.C.

Sorry to digress. I couldn't resist telling this story.

Re: I Like Ike - Words Of Wisdom

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history.

"There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are very stupid."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1954

-----

It's a shame we don't have this Republican in the Oval Office.

DJC

Don't suck up
and try to get on my good side by quoting my favorite President in my favorite era of society.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:02 pm

Hey Doc, if President Bush is so utterly stupid and ignorant, and you are the enlightened one with all the answers and have the wisdom of the universe, indulge me and explain to me then why he is the most powerful man in the world and President of our country, and you are relegated to arm chair quarterbacking expressing liberal tripe on an Elvis off topic internet messageboard? You must feel terribly shafted!

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:40 pm

Kylan wrote:Hey Doc, if President Bush is so utterly stupid and ignorant, and you are the enlightened one with all the answers and have the wisdom of the universe, indulge me and explain to me then why he is the most powerful man in the world and President of our country, and you are relegated to arm chair quarterbacking expressing liberal tripe on an Elvis off topic internet messageboard? You must feel terribly shafted!

ouch! #$@! :lol:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:43 pm

Kylan wrote:You must feel terribly shafted!

Nothing would make me feel more "terribly shafted" than if I woke up one morning, took a look in the mirror, and saw your face.

DJC

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:45 pm

lol... Doc. Kylan, thats what you get for asking STUPID questions...

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:47 pm

Well that was a rather lame insult, instead of answering my question which I didn't think you would anyway. But at least you're true to form! :wink:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Nothing would make me feel more "terribly shafted" than if I woke up one morning, took a look in the mirror, and saw your face.

DJC

Doc. What you get up to in the privacy of your own house is private. I don't wish to know!!! :x

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:04 pm

:lol: :lol:

Watch the "terribly" part when you have eliminated Kylan out of the equation. The Doc is the only true narcissist on the board.

p.s. Why are we on yet another anti-bush post started by "the scholar"?

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:43 pm

Why are we on yet another anti-everybody started by you genesim...? :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:00 pm

Apperently there are many that will do anything to protect their boy Doc.

Funny how you ignore the treatment of others on this board at the hands of him, but then you come out with this UNWARANTED statement to me.

Anti-everybody....no anti asssholes who want to start a new post everytime he thinks one has run its course of his biased liberal views toward trashing our president. If you wanna look at all the fighting, you can put Doc as way up there on the list of instigators.

Sure I could say nothing...if I wanna read nothing but bashing of our president on a daily basis.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:12 pm

Wow, what perception Eisenhower had, he also warned against the "military industrial complex" (haliburton, etc) in his farewell address.

Thanks for this quote, Doc. Right On, Ike.

GG,
in my favorite era of society.

Other than music what was great about this era of society, other than the music, it wouldn't happen to be that "dem homies" were confined to a certain section of town, and had to use other doorways and water fountains would it?

Thankfully Elvis helped change all that.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:22 pm

I don´t care about your president genesim, wouldn´t even care if I bumped into him in the street! (not very likely I know, but still...) If you keep on accusing me of attacking your president you better start locating the posts in question so you can prove this stupid and childish accusation of yours! :?

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:05 pm

Who said it was you? Though you coming to the defense of the one that supports this behavior is the most suspect. As it stands, you are just one that chooses to attack me without first examining my reasons.

As far as the president...no I doubt you ever would, so I would thank you to show the respect that I have. I don't think I have ever called out any of your leaders, and I never said a word about Norway till it was brought up out how superior you guys live compared to the U.S.A. When I challenge this I am accused of a bunch of crap I didn't even say.

Funny how I have to read it..but when I respond, it is ME that is way out of line?

Oh wait, let me see....STUPID and CHILDISH...right. And telling people to go look in the mirror and calling them morons and stumps and ignorant is all good???

Look at Docs first answer to Kylan. What would you label that one?

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:05 pm

genesim

You have never called on any of "our" leaders? That's probably true, if you say so. But you have the right to. Just like you have the right to criticize the governor of Louisiana or the mayor of New Orleans. They aren't your governor or mayor, right? They were voted into office by other people, right? Similarly you have the right to criticize the prime minister of Norway, the chancellor of Germany or the president of France. And we have the right to criticize the president of the US where we see fit.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:34 pm

Genesim you don't have to read anything.

Where this notion comes from that you do have to read it I have no idea.

Pleeeeeease, consider that you really don't have to come on here and read anything what-so-ever. Obviously I hope you choose to read this so that you can take the option up. Glad to have informed you and removed the ignorance you previously held surrounding this.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:19 pm

It helps a lot in becoming a political candidate if your father is a multi-millionaire and former President of the United States.

Although, they had a tremendous downside particularly in regard to race relations, the Korean War (deadlier than Viet Nam), the Cold War and McCarthyism, the 50s were a time when American culture was reinventing itself. In addition to rock and roll, electric blues was hitting its stride, the Nashville sound was born, progressive jazz was born, and Sinatra was at his peak. Artists like Tennessee Williams, Marlon Brando, Elia Kazan, Arthur Miller, Montgomery Clift were finishing a revolution that started in New York in the 1940s that would completely change films and the Broadway stage in terms of subject matter, style of acting, realism in performance and presentation. The movie studio system was being challenged and crumbled by artists like John Huston. Many artists were starting to win the battles with censors and it was the beginning of the end for the legendary Hayes' code. Poets like Ginsburg and writers like Kerouac, Capote and Salinger were opening new avenues in literature. Television was brand new for most people and entertainment for the new medium was being invented on the spot. It was also a time when the first real teenage subculture developed and teenagers became a distinct social group. The birth control pill started the sexual revolution. There was a general level of affluence that the country had never seen prior to that point. This was the decade of housing projects and developments that let the poor and middle class at least partly in on the American dream. And the civil rights movement started in earnest. However, it was a hard birth and it was probably greatly unpleasant to be there at that time. Plus, it was kind of mid-point in American culture where there seemed to be a plethora of heroes and villains and in general larger than life characters still on the scene. Although, that is largely a matter of perspective due in part to the naievete of the time. Still a world with Bogie, Ike, Einstein, Elvis, Marilyn, McArthur, Truman, Mickey Mantle, Brando, Gable, Walt Disney etc.

Due to all this and the fact that America's corporate culture had not yet started to ossify, the world was kind of open in a way it has not been since. If you look at just Elvis' story for instance, it's something that could never happen today.

There was a downside even to this reinvention and the wealth. The wealth did trickle down but not nearly enough as most African-Americans and many whites still lived in abject poverty. Also, there was a disregard for history as many historic structures were torn down in favor of "nice new modern buildings." And the level of affluence, just as it did in the 1990s, drove people to waste driving big flashy gas guzzling cars.

David Halberstam's book "The '50s" is a wonderful appraisal of the period.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:26 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote: GG,
in my favorite era of society.

Other than music what was great about this era of society, other than the music, it wouldn't happen to be that "dem homies" were confined to a certain section of town, and had to use other doorways and water fountains would it?

Thankfully Elvis helped change all that.

other than music? how about the movies, the actresses, the sports, the fashions, the cars, the motorcycles, A WHOLE BUNCH OF COOL STUFF, daddy-o.

The main great thing about that 50s society was the absense of drugs.

"dem DRUGS" were not at schools, playgrounds, homes, the workplace.

those g****n drugs and drug-dealers and dope-addicts were practically non-existent in 1950s society.

Thankfully the hippies came along and changed all that.

Drugs galore!

1930-50s Hollywood had a bit of trafficking going on (cultural erosion often begins on the coast and spreads inland), and Tinsletown then had a slim minority of users and addicts, but mainly the festering problem to spread across the nation were prescription pills and the attitude that pills are ok. harmless.

Hmm.. Elvis helped change all that too.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:48 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:The main great thing about that 50s society was the absense of drugs.

The main great thing about this comment was the absense [sic] of fact.

DJC

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:50 pm

good for [sic] you.

so answer my question posed to you :

where's your racist finger-pointing at Spanish Eyes?

Huh?

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:57 pm

The "Spanish Eyes" post you cling to is not racist. It was akward, but English is likely not his first language.

The posts of yours which I cite are racist, and have no place here.

DJC

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:12 am

The "Spanish Eyes" post you cling to is not racist. It was akward, but English is likely not his first language.

The posts of yours which I cite are racist, and have no place here.

what Spanish Fly wrote is racist - by all definitions.

except yours.

you ridiculous ass.

And racially-discriminating yourself.

Doc is saying:

Because I'm American, I can't use the term "homie"

but it's okay for a foreigner to use the term "n"

THAT'S what you said.
Ohh, let us archive that.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:07 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:Doc is saying:

but it's okay for a foreigner to use the term "n".

Wrong.

The point you miss is that "Spanish Fly" was making a sarcastic statement, while your word use involved ignorant racist invective.

Do us all a favor and dump that garbage on another MB.

DJC

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:Doc is saying:

but it's okay for a foreigner to use the term "n".

Wrong.

The point you miss is that "Spanish Fly" was making a sarcastic statement, while your word use involved ignorant racist invective.

I was making a sarcastic statement too.

You might be too ignorant to notice that. Or too biased to notice.

it's not your place or authority to define what sarcasm is or what racism is.

just who the hell do you think you are?