Off Topic Messages

Talking about two movies, The Hustler&The Usual Suspect

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:16 pm

The Hustler, watched it again last night, what a great movie and cast! Paul Newman, George C. Scott, Jackie Gleason and (though I'm not a 100% sure) Piper Laurie as fast Eddie Felson's girlfriend. Talk about superb acting, also being shot in black and white fit perfect with the setting of the movie itself.

The Usual Suspect was another brilliant and underrated movie with an excellent performance from Kevin Spacey as a "rat cripple". Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin and Benecio Del Toro were also excellent. Two outstanding movies, what do you people think?

For those who haven't seen them, you should make the effort though with the Hustler, it's made in 1961 which might detour some of you who haven't seen it yet.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Both great movies. The Hustler is one of my favorites. What a great supporting cast.

Piper Laurie was wonderful..and of course most know her from being the mom in the Brian DePalma movie CARRIE.

The Usual Suspects was also brilliant, but I don't feel it is in the same class. Wonderful movie though, but once you know the twist, it isn't exactly the same ride. Still for the fans of the stellar cast, this movie is not to be missed.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:33 am

I am also a big fan of "The Hustler." I definitely agree about the edge provided by the b/w photography. I love the performances and am a big fan of character studies.

"Usual" doesn't mean as much to me but it is a well done movie. Still, I have to agree with Genesim about too much of its punch coming from that twist at the end.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:05 pm

I'm embarrassed to say I've missed both, especially THE HUSTLER,
although I've seen parts of it over the years.

Jackie Gleason is "the bomb." One of my old times faves, and Newman
is tops,too.

ImageImage

Anyone see that sequel?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 am

"The Hustler."...one to see and get for your collection.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:26 pm

I justv picked up the usual suspect yesterday. Haven't watched it yet.

8)

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:06 pm

sam wrote:I justv picked up the usual suspect yesterday. Haven't watched it yet.

8)

TIP...

Get the following to help you,

Tv + dvd player = watch the dvd sam u l.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:08 pm

And for the rest of the people just jumping on....SHUT THE F*CK UP ABOUT THE TWIST SO WE DON'T RUIN IT FOR SAM AND GREG.

I admit..I have never seen the Color Of Money. I have wanted to, but I bet it doesn't stack up to the original.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:55 pm

genesim wrote:And for the rest of the people just jumping on....SHUT THE F*CK UP ABOUT THE TWIST SO WE DON'T RUIN IT FOR SAM AND GREG.

I admit..I have never seen the Color Of Money. I have wanted to, but I bet it doesn't stack up to the original.

genesim, the color of money doesn't even come close to the original.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:37 pm

I thought so, but I will see it some way. Thx.