Off Topic Messages

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:20 pm

Tony -
Now go get the other Hammer box. That one will really knock your socks off!

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:57 pm

This is an awesome thread! Finally something worthwhile to read in the Off Topic section! :D

I ordered the 2 Hammer collections after reading this thread! So I hope your recomendations don't let me down! The only other Hammer film I have is "Dracula: Prince Of Darkness" and I really like that one alot!

The new Lugosi DVD collection is fantastic! I love it, I have always loved The Black Cat since I saw that as a child... that movie is just plain freaky! I really loved The Invisible Ray... that one was a real treat!

I also have some "AMC Monsterfest" DVDs that are really cool so if you like Bela & Karloff you may want to seek them out also. Here are the movies on these sets... not entirely top tier movies, but enjoyable non the less if you like these old horror stars. I think AMC has also used about the best prints available of these movies.

Lugosi AMC Monsterfest Collection 1:
The Ape Man
Devil Bat
The Human Monster
White Zombie

Lugosi Monsterfest Collection 2:
The Corpse Vanishes
Invisible Ghost
Phantom Ship
Scared To Death

Karloff Monsterfest Collection:
The Ape
The Ghoul
The Terror
Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome

Any suggestions on the Corman classics? Are they released as a box set or anything? I would like to see some of those old Price/Corman flicks again.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:38 pm

I have found the AMC sets to be of rather shoddy quality despite the AMC name. You get the bargain price though. You have to decide whether or not it is worth the sacrifice. As a PD title, it's hard to get a decent version of "White Zombie".

The Corman titles are not available in any box but you can get on them on very reasonably priced twofers at Best Buy and other outlets. I have never paid for more than $9.99.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:59 pm

Yea, they certainly aren't Gone With the Wind quality. Most of them I have never seen before, a number of them are pretty hard to even find other than these sets. The ones that I had seen on VHS, I thought that these versions were better quality... could be wrong. JMO

What about that Roan version of White Zombie... is it really better?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Hammer were OK when Terence Fisher was behind the movies. After him, most of titles were uttercrap (Dracula AD 72 :roll: , Satanic Rites of Dracula)

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:56 am

I just bought Satanic Rites for a dollar cause I have missed the Lee/Cushing era. I admit that I only know them really from Star Wars. Sad as that is. I know alot of movies, but B Hammer flicks I know nothing of. I wanna rectify this.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:09 am

genesim wrote:
I have missed the Lee/Cushing era. I admit that I only know them really from Star Wars.

Same here, and that is why I wanted to see these films also. I really enjoy them in Star Wars. They are really great ominous type stars/actors. I have always thought the original SW had a somewhat British/Hammer feel to it.

Sh*t! I forgot that I also bought Satanic Rites of Dracula for a buck also... I just put it away and never watched it! Gonna watch it tonight!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:03 am

The Hammer movies are where they made their bones and are worth seeing for any horror fan.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks to Star Wars II & III, a new generation has discovered Christopher Lee

to go off-topic of Hammer, but still "horror" -
remember:

"Trilogy Of Terror"

- a Dan Curtis production 1975
starring Karen Black

recall this frightful TV movie with its three stories...
and each story more bizarre and dark than the previous.

The third story must be the scariest thing ever televised.

Image Image

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:51 pm

GG -
Dan Curtis was definitely on a horror roll in the late 60's - mid 70's. The Dark Shadows soap and 2 theatrical films. The Jack Palance Jekyll & Hyde and Dracula. The Night Stalker and it's sequel. A version of Frankenstein starring Bo Svenson. A 'Stalker-ish' t.v. movie entitled The Norliss Tapes. The film Burnt Offerings. And of course Trilogy of Terror. Some good stuff for horror fans!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:46 am

I am now watching Frankenstein must be destroyed. In my opinion, Frankenstein was better trated by Hammer than Dracula. From Dracula has risen from the grave, the vampire movies went just downhill, reaching ludicrous climax with The Satanic Rites of Dracula. On the other hand, the Monster flicks were always handled with care and maintained an average quality throughout the series.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:32 pm

I picked up Revenge of Frankenstein, which I'd never seen, and watched it last night. I've seen all the Hammer Frankensteins except for 'Created Woman' and 'Monster From Hell.' 'Revenge' is almost as good as the first film, maybe even just as good.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:46 am

I´ve seen Monster from Hell, David Prowse (aka Darth Vader) is playing the Monster!

Revenge is very, very good. The climax in the asylum reminds me of Browning´s Freaks chase in the rain.

Created Woman is nice aswell, bloody and erotic.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:23 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote: Frankenstein was better trated by Hammer than Dracula. From Dracula has risen from the grave, the vampire movies went just downhill, reaching ludicrous climax with The Satanic Rites of Dracula. On the other hand, the Monster flicks were always handled with care and maintained an average quality throughout the series.

I agree SE. I like all the Hammer Draculas, but some are just so-so. It's as if they just didn't know what to do with the character. 'Has Risen' "Taste The Blood' and 'Scars' lack a strong protagonist. They brought Peter Cushing back for the last 2, but they had those set in modern times (probably copying from the Count Yorga films) and they just didn't work. Christopher Lee has said that he complained repeatedly to the Hammer top brass that they weren't using the Dracula character properly, that they needed to use more from Stoker's book. He said they were basically writing the stories then sticking Dracula in after the fact.

The Frankenstein series, with it's emphasis on Cushing's Baron rather than the monsters, was built around Cushing, and were better written than most of the Dracula films. And 5 out of the 6 films were directed by Terence Fisher, who really excelled at gothic horror.

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Just a reminder that The Val Lewton Collection and Kolchak - The Night Stalker will be released today!

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:47 am

i really like the mummy, frankenstein, bride of frankenstein, the raven, the mummy's hand, frankenstein meets wolfman, dr. jeckyl & mr. hyde, the phantom of the opera, etc...

i don't think they're hammer films, but the house of wax and night of the living dead are really wonderful.

and as for alfred hitchcock, i used to watch the birds all the time as a little kid.

the hunchback of notre dame, tower of london, the terror, the little shop of horrors, etc...are a few other titles i have in my collection.

i had a thing for these old films when i was 9 years old.

i've seen a couple of the creature from the black lagoons also. and i think i've seen a couple of the other mummy films with the really bad names that were quite enjoyable.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:58 am

Has anyone seen that movie Black Sunday and if so, what did you think?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:43 am

One of CLint Eastwood's first film roles was in a sequel to "Creature from Black Lagoon"

re: Peter Cushing

I was hoping (tho a long shot) that for Star Wars III, Lucasfilm would've got permission from Hammer to "lift" close-ups of 1950s Cushing to superimpose on the Tarkin stand-in. To actually put Cushing in "Sith"

the technology to do that certainly exists,
and of course pay the Cushing estate a few thousand $ for the act of putting him in a 2005 film.