Off Topic Messages

One of my heros

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:41 pm

I was thinking about people I always looked up to as a kid and one person I keep thinking about is George Washington Carver. How in the world does someone so great get lost in history? From slavery to an educated man and inventor, writer, and so many other things. He has his place in history to be sure but it needs to bigger. He is almost forgotten and it shouldn't be that way. Who are some of your heroes from your youth?

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:25 pm

John -

You wrote:
Who are some of your heroes from your youth?

Well, I guess in the major league were:

Elvis

James Dean

And lower down:

Gene Vincent

Little Richard

Eddie Cochran

Acker Bilk
[before he went 'orchestral']

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:30 pm

My ma and pa...as when i was younger,they were "tall".

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 pm

Jesus Christ.

I do agree. George Washington Carver should be known by today's kids growing up. How about a coin or dollar bill with his likeness. Take Grant off of the $50 and put Carter on it.

jeff R

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:11 am

I do believe that George Washington Carver was on a half dollar once. The reason I know is that I got it from my dad. When I got married, my husband sold it along with my other rare coins. Well, I was young and dumb then. I don't even remember what year it was, but it's the only one of those that I've seen. At our school, we DO teach about G.W. Carver and his peanut inventions.

Colin, What an excellent list! I loved, along with Elvis, James Dean and Gene Vincent and his friend, Eddie Cochran. Don't know Acker Bilk! At one point of my life I had more Gene Vincent records than Elvis ones! And of course, there's only one Little Richard!! Outrageous, but very likable.
sue

Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:45 am

Sue -

You wrote:
Colin, What an excellent list! I loved, along with Elvis, James Dean and Gene Vincent and his friend, Eddie Cochran.
Don't know Acker Bilk!

Yeah, I guess Acker is the odd-one-out on the list !

Alongside my love of rock 'n' roll, I was quite into traditional jazz as a young man.

And Acker Bilk & His Paramount Jazz Band were my favourite group in that genre.

Later on, he recorded as Acker Bilk & the Leon Young Chorale [or somesuch] & jazz took 2nd place, so I went off him somewhat.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:18 pm

http://www.scottish-inventions.org.uk/welcome_frame.htm know the world can watch the EP man on the tv.