Off Topic Messages

New Orleans

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Godspeed to the people of New Orleans as they face Hurricane Katrina...

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:04 pm

When i was in the car today,Radio BBC SCOTLAND had a live link with this cop,who was standing in a doorway (dont ask me why),and you could here this glass been blowin" out and the cop said it was traveling like a bulllet,and if the glass his anyone it would go right through them etc etc.

He was asked when the "eye" of the strom would hit N/O?..he said in about 2 hours time.

So i write this post...it should be there now.

God,be kind to the people of New Orleans.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:28 pm

My prayers are with the people.....

Katrina has ripped two holes in the curved roof of the Louisiana Superdome, letting in rain as thousands of storm refugees huddled inside.

June Juanico recalls 'Camille' in her biography

Hurricane
Las Vegas, Nevada 1969

Wally phoned backstage at the International and paged Joe Esposito. Holding a cocktail in my hand, and having had several at the show, I wasn't the least bit nervous. It had been such a long time, I wondered what I would say.
"June, is that you, honey?"
"Yes, Elvis it's me. And don't call me honey."
"You haven't changed a bit, have you baby?" He laughed.
"I've changed a little, hopefully for the better. You've changed a little too. I saw your show tonight and you look better than ever. Your voice is better than Elvis too, I was impressed!" I said, knowing Elvis loved praise. And this came from my heart.
"Thanks June, coming from you that make me feel good. You have been on my mind for the past few days. Did you and your family survive the hurricane okay?"
"We had some damage, but nothing compared to most people. The sad part of it all is that there's nothing left on the beach. The Sun'n'Sand is gone, the Ko-Ko is gone, and the only thing left of the White House pier is a ew broken pilings. You do remember the pier don't you?"
"I remember it well. As a matter of fact, I remember it like it was yesterday. How about Gus Steven's Lounge? Did Mr. Gus make it okay?", he asked, remembering Gus had tolled out the red carpet for him on every visit. "What about Gulf Hills, how did they do?"
"Not too bad. The villas are all gone and so is the boat dock. The hotel and the Hack house are still standing."
"How about you? Are you happy? Do you need anything? Is there anything at all I can do for you baby?"
"I am fine Elvis. If things got any better, I couldn't stand it," I answered, using the same reply I always used when asked that question, even when it wasn't the truth. "I have seen a few of your movies and your acting is improving," I lied, trying to make him feel good about his acting career.
"The movies are sh*t and you know it June. I am still just spinning my wheels." His voice was the same, but his diction had definitely improved: ten years ago, Elvis would have said, "Ah'm jess spinin' mah wheels."
"I guess congratulations are in order - you have a beautiful wife and a new baby girl. All you need now is a little boy, and your life will be complete."
"Whoa June. Don't rush me! I'm still trying to get used to being a daddy. Yours must be getting pretty big now. How old are they? You still have just two right?"
"Right! Tony is eleven and Tori is seven. They are both beautiful," I replied, like the proud mother I was.
"Seven and eleven huh? They would be great at the crap table. Forget I said that June. My mouth is going ninety to nothing I'm so hyped up. And I still have another show to do before I can unwind."
"I noticed how hyper you were on stage. Are you sure you are okay? Is there anything I can do for you? How are you unwinding these days?"
"Don't worry about me baby. When I need to unwind, I go to be and read a good book."
"What are you reading? Anything good?"
"A long time ago, someone very special gave me a book to read. I've read it at least a million times. It is my favorite book. I try to keep a copy with me at all time. It's my unwinder." He laughed. I was so surprised. I kcouldn't think of a thing to say. I knew he was talking about The Prophet.
"Ain't it funny how time slips away? Shi baby I didn't mean to go and get sentimental. How's everybody in Biloxi? How is my old friend Buddy Conrad going? I used to see him all the time, but not lately. He's the joker who told me you named your son Elvis."
"Buddy died a few years ago. He had cancer."
"Damn! Damn! Why is it the good die young June? Why? Damn! I sure hate hearing that about good old Buddy.
"The few last days of his life, all he talked about was you and the good old days. Everything was EP this and EP that. He was grateful for the time we all had together."
"I am grateful too. They were the best years of my life. Listen baby. I will be here for another week, so if you need anything, just give ma a call. Just ask for Joe. How long are you going to be in Vegas?"
"I am not sure. At least until the power is restored back home. We live in the country and without power we have no water and no air-conditioning either."
"Do you have any horses?"
"We have the horses and two cows, but no chickens. You know how I feel about chicken sh*t," I replied, laughing.
"You haven't changed a bit June. I am really happy for you baby. You got your ranch after all."
"It's not really a ranch Elvis. We call it 'Oleo Acres, a low-cost spread."
"That's good. Sounds just like you. Are you sure there is nothing I can do for you baby?"
"I am sure Elvis. Thanks for asking. I don't want to keep you on the phone. I know how busy you are. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me. Take care of yourself, Elvis. I love you."
"I love you too June. Take care baby."

The neon lights atop the International Hotel were clearly visible from Wally's front door. And I thought of calling many times during the next ten days. But I never did. On the way to the airport I noticed all the billboards with Elvis's name had been taken down. Elvis had left the city.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:59 pm

I talked to a friend of mine that lives in Detroit and he is really sad with this......My prayers are all with you that lost home, even worst in case of relatives and hope this is not the case.

Best Regards
Renan.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:51 am

Prayers are with them... this looks bad though.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:42 pm

This is so shocking. Such a waste. What gets me are the ones that refuse to leave thier home or refuse help. So sad. Hearing of hospitals and critical patients being flooded and rushed to the dome is even more horrible.

My prayers are with those that have lost.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:54 pm

Yes, it's getting worse.

It's a shame quite a few people couldn't or refused to evacuate
in advance as requested.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 am

Well there is no proof that all those peope got the message. It doesn't take long, and by that time it is too late. It isn't like a tornado where one can actually see the threat. You hesitate, your screwed, and even then, where the hell do you go?

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:18 am

It´s more useful to get global warming seriously than praying or crying now.

I hope it´s the only good think this catastrophe can bring out.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 am

There is no proof that Global Warming is the cause of the Hurricanes. We simply do not have enough information and any scientist who think they know are guessing at best.
Last edited by genesim on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:47 am

Now now Geno, you know he never said that, he clearly said the ONLY good thing was about global warming, whether that's true or not is not the point here. The point is you make out he said people dying was a good thing and he clearly didn't.

Talking of respect, how about leaving it out of this thread and doing it in another ?

Just a thought. :wink:

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:51 am

Edited out of respect to the ones that are hurting right now.
Last edited by genesim on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:53 am

Yeah, whatever Geno, whatever.....

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:56 am

Last edited by genesim on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:12 am

I don't see how that is the same. Has anyone on hear said that knowingly to a relative of someone who has died from the events of today ?

I wouldn't punch anyone if they did say that to me, I'd have enough sense to realise they meant well and that punching them would not rewind the clock and undo what they said anyway.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:14 am

God bless the folks in New Orleans and throughout the gulf coast. The pictures on the news show utter devastation. It will be months, if not years, before things even begin to resemble normal.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 am

Last edited by genesim on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:30 am

Computer models by the National Weather Service as well as the National Hurricane Center show that Global Warming would LESSEN the intensity of hurricanes.

The warming would occur IN THE POLES, not equatorially. The resultant melting in the ice fields would LOWER the water temps globally, thereby robbing the hurricanes of the fuel that powers them.

It's a shame so many accept the political rhetoric rather than actually doing the homework before opening their yaps and displaying their ignorance. You out there Spanish Lies???

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:13 am

Our hearts are all going out to the people in the devastated areas in the south. Elvis’ beloved birthplace, his southern neighbors in Louisiana, Florida, Alabama.... they are all going through the worst of times. We pray for them and wish we could do something more than just contribute to a fund. If we could only really hold them in our arms and tell them it will be okay someday. Someday... how sad that they will have to go through such turmoil for so long. Thank you, Melanie, for Elvis’ conversation with his wonderful friend, June Juanico. If we could just “look away, Dixieland” and not have to worry so.

Gen, your first message was great. Let’s not go negative; not on this thread. Please... You do have a good heart.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:41 am

Yeah your right, I should have ignored it. I acted out of hurt and disgust.

XXXXXXXXX

Scatter I am with you all the way my friend having done a final study on the very subject. I appreciate your well thought out post.
Last edited by genesim on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:45 am

Gen,
You wonderful doll! I knew you were pure heart! I always can tell. Thank you! Thankyouverymuch!
XXXXOOOOXXXX Back to you.

sue
Last edited by Silver on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:50 am

Silver,

First of all you misuderstood something. The XXXX was to separate from Scatter. I got a girlfriend that I give those too. But thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, well it was your last response about the way that you treat students that got my attention. I believe whole heartedly that children should be taught to be unprejudice. There is time enough for our minds to get bended by the horrors of this world. At least having some time of innocence is importent. Our minds must be able to grow and mature before we can make our own conclusions.

There is still beauty to be found though, and like Lincoln said and I quoted this to another "This too shall pass".

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:43 am

I spent all evening watching the footage from New Orleans and Mississippi. What a mess!

People were told to evacuate because this is a storm of "biblical proportions." They were also told to stay out of their attics. People ignored the warnings that they were given and many even drowned in their attics because they couldn't get out.

Then they show a man that was rescued saying they told me to leave but I didn't listen. I should have listened to them. I lost everything.
Too little, too late for many people, I'm afraid.

The flood waters are still rising at this moment. It will take years to get back to normal, if there is ever such a thing as normal there again.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:17 am

Gen, dear,
I give these to my kids, my husband, my family, and everyone all the time.

XXXX0000XXXX
sue

(I do truly thank you for and appreciate your gentleness on this topic.)
Edited: Sorry, I'm not thinking properly in these last few days.
Last edited by Silver on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:23 am

In the Los Angeles area this has been on all day. Things are getting worse. They are trying desparately to rescue all the people, but are having trouble. Some of them stayed because they were too poor to have a way out. Looters are giving the police trouble. It looks as if it's going to be a LONG HARD haul! These people really need our prayers. I wish I knew what to do. It seems kind of hopeless and I feel hopeless. There must be something to do for the people who have lost everything and are still in desparate need. It is awful!! The experts don't seem to know what to do. Here it is just past midnight. I won't be able to sleep at all knowing those poor people are in such a bad way. Dear Lord, please help them...

Thank you Elvis Off Subject Board for allowing me to blubber here. I know that others are handling it better. I know they are praying for all those in need. Thank goodness for those that have a positive attitude. I think Gen is right: One day... "This too shall pass."