Off Topic Messages

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:07 am

$2.69 a gallon in West Palm Beach........until tomorrow.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:18 am

Scatter wrote:$2.69 a gallon in West Palm Beach........until tomorrow.

Gas cheaper in Florida than in North Carolina...?

WOW!!!

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:27 pm

Unleaded: Both Arms (note: after Wednesday they are adding 5 toes and a butt cheek to the overall price)

Super Unleaded: Your Wife and her sister

Diesel: 12 cases of bourbon and your mother-in-law)

My advice is buy a diesle, because at least with it you come out even.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:27 pm

It's being reported that there's gas shortage in Atlanta, Georgia
and that President Bush will (finally) call for energy conservation
tonight on television.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:28 pm

Looks like I'll be riding my motorcycle later into the cold weather this year. :lol:

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:48 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's being reported that there's gas shortage in Atlanta, Georgia
and that President Bush will (finally) call for energy conservation
tonight on television.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Apparently it doesn't matter anyway because the prices are based on how fast they can be refined.

As it stands, I am surprised that the prices aren't gouged alot more.

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:50 pm

Give 'em time. :oops:

I heard of one station outside of Boston now charging $3.30 per gallon.

It's this weekend when it will really hit.

Time to dust off my bike...

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:13 pm

It's actually a potentially catastrophic problem at least for the United States. The US economy is absolutely dependent on low costs fuel. It is very large country geographically with many of its resources spread out. That milk doesn't walk to the super market. When there is a bump in gasoline prices, there is generally bump in everything else as well. It's all fine and good to make little quips about using public transportation but a lot of the nation is without adequate public transportation. In the area where I live options are extremely limited. The town where I live has a depressed economy and most of the residents work out of town. To rely solely on public transportation here limits you geographically and in terms of the hours you can work. Plus, the people who take public transportation feel the brunt of the higher prices as well. The price of a round trip ticket to New York City from here has gone up about 30 percent over the past four years about half of that coming in the last 18 months. It's not as bad as driving but you still feel the increase.

We really should have been exploring alternate forms of fuel years ago. If we can grow grass in a dome, we can come up with an alternate method to propel a car.

Fossil fuels are finite. That's the crux of the problem along with the fact that they are also significant pollutants. We also should encourage car companies to streamline their products and increase mileage per gallon. If the average car and truck averaged something like 50 miles per gallon, this would be far less of an issue. Due to the growth of demand for oil in China, this will be a necessity in the upcoming years.

None of this even mentions the problems with heating oil. However, if we reduce the demand for driving oil, this won't be as much of a problem.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:41 pm

I don't think it that simple. While you are completely right about the U.S.A having alot of daily commutes, the fuel itself...fossil fuel, is still DAMN CHEAP!!!! No other form can compete. I used to work on a huge project that explored deriving oil from plants...guess what, it still wasn't efficient and they have been dropping millions into this year after year.

Nuclear power is an alternative, but it just isn't safe enough...yet.

The facts are that until oil prices come down sufficiently this is the fuel of choice. Still with climbing prices, Americans will start using other means. Funny how prices aren't jacked more then this though. Gas is hardly my biggest expense, and that is still with an hour commute.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:09 pm

I bought gas for $2.59/gallon yesterday morning. By the time I went back by there an HOUR later, it was $2.99.

Tom

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:12 pm

Well, we just shot up to $3.19 a gallon over night.

I've heard of people going postal, but what's the term for someone kicking ass at a Swifty?

Watch for me on CNN Headline News later today.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:02 pm

Still looking for you, Rob or was that you down in Atlanta
paying 5-6 bucks a gallon.

What a mess.

I say it's overdue. I"m serious. We haven't borne the true
cost of oil for a long time. But it's going to be painful.

I agree with LTB that we have to make a change. We're so damned
suburbanized now that many really do need a car to functionl

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:16 pm

$3.99 in Greensboro for regular unleaded. $4.09 for supreme.

Tom

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:25 pm

Yesterday I saw $2.80/gallon in the morning and being in a rush, vowed
to fill up later.

When I got off the commuter rail (accounts for 90% of my one-hour commute), I suddenly saw $3.11! :shock:

I drove further and so another one with the same three-buck threshold
broken through! I'd missed my moment to "top off" before the
weekend as they told us!

Then, luckily, I saw the "cheap" $2.89 of another station and put in
8 bucks to fill it up.

As I drove away I saw in my rear view mirror the sign being changed.

I'm sure he wasn't lowering it. :?

I drive an economical vehicle, so I'm not too concerned. But put on
talk radio or look at the faces of SUV drivers and they're in a panic.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:32 pm

So what is the answer....make government step in and change the prices?

Perhaps the higher gas prices will make people buy less, perhaps less SUV's will get sold if this keeps up. How about letting natural progression of economy win out.

The hurricane is a different story, and that is what the reserves are for..but the refinery is the real problem. Still Government needs to stay out of business. The gas prices will come down in time...especially after all the hysteria, and I am going to be laughing when the prices drop like a rock.

Though there is such a thing as inflation, and like I said before 3 bucks + for a gallon of milk alarms me alot more. Gas seems alot more reasonable in that capacity.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:34 pm

Genesim, most say that price controls make it worse.

Still, let it rip. We should not all be driving such monsters anyway.

Does Jane Soccermom really need one? No.

It was only a matter of time...

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:55 pm

If Jane can afford one..then it is not for you or I to decide. That is the fun about being free. Though I agree, keep the government out of it, and maybe soccermom(as hot as she may be :twisted: ) will have to curb her enthusiasm.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:32 pm

Well, it's not like we have a totally free-economy, especially in
transporation, which is heavily-taxed and regulated.

Priorities are made setting things like the CAFE miles-per-gallon
standards.

By reducing the requirements for MPG of an automaker's fleet
(or, not increasing them annually as in years past), we made
it possible for gas-guzzling Jane splurge on a Cherokee
or a Suburban.

I noticed that some of the big car-makers are extending their
"employee discounts" already. Got to get those guzzlers off the lots!

Not to get in another war argument (and I don't fully agree),
but look what I just found :

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:45 pm

Actually not all SUV's get bad gas mileage. And the war we are fighting now is not just about oil(but like you said this you know too). This has been covered, and we will always disagree.

Inicidently I edited the Cindy post. Just thought you might at least like to read it.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Oh, I saw it and responded to it just now.

(It's really more about the war, Iraq folks, not "Cindy, Cindy" :D ).

I do think oil plays a role there. You concede that, right?

Most SUV's are bringing up the rear in MPG, by and large.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:25 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:President Bush will (finally) call for energy conservation
tonight on television.

Not only does he need to do that, but he also needs to tell opec to drop the price at least $15.00 a barrell of oil. It costs OPEC around $15.00 to produce 1 barrell of oil, yet the price is $70.00! Come on, this is price gouging at it's best. These so called "oil experts" say that if they do this it will lead to more shortages. Well let me ask this; back when gas was at $1.25 per gallon why wasn't there shortages then?

We also need to decide if we want certain types of fish and birds to survive, or if we want our people to survive. By this I mean drilling oil in Alaska and other places. Don't get me wrong, I love animals and the outdoors, but I also want to be able to drive to work w/o having to mortage my home in order to pay for gas!

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:President Bush will (finally) call for energy conservation tonight on television.

So far, just a rumor. I'm not holding my breath. :evil:

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:09 pm

Look at this mass hysteria. And once the cars our filled up...watch the prices fall. And fall fast they will. Wait and see.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:32 pm

That's not much of a prediction. Most analysts concede they'll come down.

But the psychological barrier for, say $60 a barrel has been breached.

I don't expect to pay $1.25 again any time soon.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:35 pm

Well there is such a thing as inflation. I am not saying I like it, but at the same time competition will change that.