Off Topic Messages

Gas Prices

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:33 am

What are the current prices where you are from? Anywhere close to these?

http://www.csmngt.com/arm%20&%20leg.jpg

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:56 am

Get ready to give them your a** too... cause its gonna go even higher with the hurricane!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:52 am

Rob -

My house is all electric !

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:06 pm

ColinB wrote:Rob -

My house is all electric !

lmao Colin.....these Americans will learn to speak English one day :D :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:26 pm

Average price last time I heard was around 2.65....2.55 where I am at. Peanuts compared to Europe.

Hi

Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:18 pm

Over here in Holland we pay about $1.10 for a litre!! And a gallon is about 4,5 litres. So you have nothing to complain about as far as I am concerned :x :D

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:39 pm

Fuel Price Reports
UK and overseas fuel prices

July 2005
On Sunday July 10th, the UK average price of Unleaded fuel passed the £4 a gallon barrier for the first time ever. Average prices for all regions are now over £4 a gallon.

Unleaded prices rose by 3.1p per litre (14p per gallon) and Diesel by 3p per litre (13.6p per gallon). These rises are due to increases in the price of crude oil on the world market with Brent Crude reaching $60 a barrel during the month. In July 2004, Brent Crude was trading at about $35 a barrel.

Wales has the highest prices at 89.3p (Unleaded) and 93.5p (Diesel) with East Anglia (who had the highest prices in Britain last month) now at joint fourth place with the South East. Yorkshire & Humberside retain their lead as the cheapest region in which to buy fuel.

At Supermarkets Unleaded rose by 3.2p per litre (14.5p a gallon) and Diesel by 3.2p per litre (14.5p per gallon).

LPG increased by 0.3p per litre with the difference between UK average and supermarket prices widening to 5.7p per litre.

The Treasury announced on 5 July that the fuel duty increase due on 1 September would be postponed due to "volatility in the oil market". Treasury will review whether to raise the tax in the autumn pre-Budget report.

Overseas prices - UK Diesel continues to be the highest price in Europe. UK Unleaded is now the fifth most expensive in Europe with the Netherlands recording the highest price at 99.15p per litre.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink:

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:27 pm

Watch out, people, there`s a difference between gallons in the US and England. A US gallon is app. 3.8 litre.

Wim

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:18 pm

Yes it is best to measure in Liters to get a qualified example...the end result, the U.S.A. is still one of the cheapest despite the horrors of overinflated prices.

As far as the hurricane, I would have a problem with going into reserves to side step some of the problems for now. That is what they are there for and with 200 million gallons it is a fair bet that there is no better time.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:20 pm

Wim -

You wrote:
...there`s a difference between gallons in the US and England.

You learn something new every day !

I never heard that before !

There's talk of changing the UK speedometers & road signs to kilometers.

Heaven help us !

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:48 pm

ColinB wrote:
There's talk of changing the UK speedometers & road signs to kilometers.

They`re talking about that for about 30 years now, isn`t it??
Because I remember that from our holidays in England in the 70`s and 80`s

Wim

Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:51 pm

in tennessee and texas around 2.55 to 265 a gallon,, but not going up to 70.00 a barrell so who knows after the storm

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:42 am

The cost of fuel in the US is approximately a third of that in the UK. God knows why. But it's thanks to all those time-wasting pen-pushers in Brussels that we have to measure our fuel in litres. Gallons were so much simpler - refuelling the car seemed to go so much quicker.

Incidentally, almost exactly one year ago today I was in New Orleans - shocking to see all the places I visited then being lashed by this storm. Hope everyone there will be ok.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:27 am

The gas prices down at the Chevron about 3 miles form my house went up from $2.59 a gallon to $3.00!!!

might as well break out the **** 10 speed...

maybe car pooling would be a better option...

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:53 am

Still $2.53 a gallon here. I filled up tonight ($49.00)

The price gouging may now begin!

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:28 am

ColinB wrote:There's talk of changing the UK speedometers & road signs to kilometers.

Heaven help us !

Sounds like one of those Daily Mail Euromyths to me :)

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:32 am

genesim wrote:Yes it is best to measure in Liters to get a qualified example...the end result, the U.S.A. is still one of the cheapest despite the horrors of overinflated prices.

It's about 90p per litre right now, so around $1.60 US. Usually it's in the late 70s, so more like $1.40.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:02 pm

So thats around 6 dollars a gallon. Holy sh*t...minkahed you still willing to break out that Ten Speed? What we pay is PEANUTS!

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:51 pm

TJ wrote:
ColinB wrote:There's talk of changing the UK speedometers & road signs to kilometers.

Heaven help us !

Sounds like one of those Daily Mail Euromyths to me :)

It was a serious debate in Brussells (hows that for a contradiction ?)

Also, the UK roads were graded incorrectly compared with the rest of Europe. some of our A roads they believe should be B roads under certain specifications that they, not us, lay down.

What this would mean is billions of pounds having to be spent on re-signing the entire UK with all distances being in km's and with road names ammended from A to B types where applicable.

What's the betting t5hat a UK company wouldn't even win the contract to supply the new signs ?

As far as I know, the euro MP's met and a statement was returned something along the lines of "The right honourable gentleman can go phuk himself silly" and no more seems to have been said on the matter.

What's next ? Our roads aren't straight enough ? Our streetlighting is 30cm too far apart from each other ? Our dotted lines are 25mm too long ? Our traffic lights have the wrong hue of green ? Our roundabouts are too round ?

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Genesim wrote:
"Average price last time I heard was around 2.65....2.55 where I am at. Peanuts compared to Europe."

Pushing $3.00 where I am and I haven't factored in the expected
"Katrina" tax.

The thing is, Europe has long heavily-taxed gasoline, encouraging
the use of economical vehicles and good, clean, fast and affordable
public transporation, which is pretty rare in the U.S. Being more dense,
and not having totally given up on rail like we did years ago
under pressure from the highway and auto lobbies, Europe, by and
large seems to have a more sane situation, at least environmentally.

The whole recent thing brings back memories of the '70s gas lines
and the move towards smaller cars. In the last couple of years,
every soccer mom suddenly felt they had to drive around in one
of these SUV's or something like it:

Here's one a recent scene that surely pissed off some people:

Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:54 pm

Thats right...freedom to drive our SUV's if we see fit. Nothing wrong with that. Though I have used public transportation, and I do enjoy it, it does nothing for me when driving through the country. You call it sane...I don't when it comes to long commutes. I enjoy the drive and 3.00 is still cheap when compared to everything else. A gallon of milk costing that much is worse IMO.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:57 pm

Oh, I love cars myself and prefer it for touring the nation.

Some trains are good, preferable, such as on the eastern corridor
between Boston, NY, Philly, Washington. Much more relaxing then
sitting in traffic jams.

As for daily commutes, in some areas, commuter rail is much
preferred to braving traffic. But in much of the U.S., at this point
the car makes sense.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:54 pm

genesim wrote:So thats around 6 dollars a gallon. Holy sh*t...minkahed you still willing to break out that Ten Speed? What we pay is PEANUTS!

I don't know...

I think I'll be carpooling this week...

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 pm

I'll do you one better, 'Hed:

Gramp's old bike it looking better every minute :shock: :

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:08 am

Wouldn't this be great if all nations would take this approach?

CARACAS (AFP) - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez offered to send food and fuel to the United States after the powerful Hurricane Katrina pummeled the US south, ravaging US crude production.

ADVERTISEMENT

The leftist leader, a frequent critic of the United States and a target himself of US disapproval, said Venezuela could send aid workers with drinking water, food and fuel to US communities hit by the hurricane.

"We place at the disposition of the people of the United States in the event of shortages -- we have drinking water, food, we can provide fuel," Chavez told reporters.

Chavez said fuel could be sent to the United States via a Citgo refinery that has not been affected by the hurricane. Citgo is owned by Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA).

In the Gulf of Mexico, which accounts for a quarter of total US oil output, 92 percent of crude and 83 percent of natural gas production were shut down due to Hurricane Katrina, which slammed Louisiana and Mississippi, according to US government data.

Venezuela is the fourth-largest provider of oil to the United States, supplying some 1.5 million barrels a day.

Last week, Chavez offered discount gasoline to poor Americans suffering from high oil prices and on Sunday offered free eye surgery for Americans without access to health care.