Sorry to break this to my fellow Americans, but
here's one yardstick to consider. Congrats to
our Nordic FECC Elvis fans. I'd love to visit. :D

Best place to live in 2005? Norway
Country tops U.N. agency list
based on wealth, education, life expectancy

Reuters
Updated: 11:36 a.m. ET Aug. 26, 2005

OSLO, Norway - Norway will top a 2005 U.N. ranking as the best country in which to live for the fifth year in a row, the head of the U.N. Development Program (UNDP) said on Friday.

Rich from North Sea oil and with a generous welfare state, Norway has led the world ranking since it ousted Canada from top spot in 2001. The annual list ranks countries by an index combining wealth, education and life expectancy.

“The (2005) report comes out on Sept. 7 and yes, Norway is ranked as number 1 on the human development index,” UNDP administrator Kemal Dervis told a news conference in Oslo of the forthcoming report.

He gave no other details of the ranking. Last year, Norway was followed by Sweden, Australia and Canada at the top, while Sierra Leone was the last of 177 countries listed.

The news is likely to be welcomed by Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik, whose center-right government is trailing a “Red-Green” opposition alliance led by the Labour Party ahead of a Sept. 12 election.

But Dervis, on his first foreign trip since taking over as head of the UNDP this month, said the ranking was a reward for years of work by successive governments in Norway, the world’s number 3 oil exporter behind Saudi Arabia and Russia.

“This is an achievement of the Norwegian people over a very long time. It cannot be interpreted as belonging to one government,” he said.

Still, Bondevik has often grumbled that it is a paradox to be lagging so far in the polls when UNDP surveys have placed Norway top every year since he came to office in 2001.

Expanding economy
The economy is set to expand by a stellar 3.75 percent this year, interest rates are at a very low 2.0 percent, annual inflation is almost non-existent at 1.1 percent and unemployment a low 3.7 percent.

But opinion polls in Norway show many people believe that tax cuts have favoured the rich and want more investment in education, hospitals and care for the elderly.

Norwegians generally reckon that their economic upturn is fuelled by high oil prices -- a bonanza out of any government’s control. A fund saving Norway’s oil wealth for future generations is worth $180 billion, or $39,000 for each citizen.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9085910/

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:47 pm

Hmmmmmmmm?? Tom in Norway??? Not bad.

Tom

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:58 pm

But the happiest country in the world?

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/int ... 495&d=2005

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:20 pm

When one is making comparisons to the U.S.A. you have to look at the ant vs the human. While it is true that the ant in proportion can lift more, there is still one problem....they are still lifting things as small as a leaf.

America has so many more advantages it would be silly to name them all, but may I begin with the fact that I can drive my car as much as I want, I am also able to own more land, I have the freedom to pick my own healthcare/doctors without having the government rip out my income and do it for me!

Hey you like Norway...good for you. I choose America any day. The richest country in the world by far.

Averages don't mean sh*t when you factor in outliers that would tip the scales in America. Everyone being "equal" doesn't translate to my paradise.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:29 pm

No offense to Norway... I'm sure it's a very nice place, but I would take anything the U.N. has to offer with a salt mine.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Glad to get the ball rolling, but to dismiss averages is to miss the point
of the comparison, which is: how, on average, does the typical person
fare in one nation and how does that rank to other nations?

If Genesim and Eagle are doing great individually, congratulations :D ,
but that's not what we're measuring.

Maurice, glad to know Irish eyes are still smiling...

I love my country, but I also know we are not the leading the way
on some key indicators.

Next person, please. Someone else can pick up from here.

I have to go rest. :lol:

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:25 pm

Brazil is a big country, tropical weather during all the year, great people, food......
But congratulations to Norway. :wink:

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:13 pm

Hmmm so by that rationale..because everyone could be equally poor in a certain region then all his good?

Look it is like comparing the Beatles output to Elvis. While there is no doubt that the Beatles had greater quality for their time...they also released considerably less material. Would the same had been true had they released as much as Elvis? Better yet, perhaps we should go with someone smaller..cause Norway isn't even in that league. When you compare, lets compare Apples with Apples. Comparing Norway to America is like comparing the merits of a Dolphin to a Human. Sure they are pretty damn smart but I don't think they will be calculating space travel anytime soon.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:02 am

Piss on this lilly-livered U.N. report. I liked Norway better when they wore those horn-headed helmuts, wenched to their hearts content, drank themselves into a stupor, and pillaged the English coastline! ODIINNNNN! :)

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:01 am

Pete Dube wrote:Piss on this lilly-livered U.N. report. I liked Norway better when they wore those horn-headed helmuts, wenched to their hearts content, drank themselves into a stupor, and pillaged the English coastline! ODIINNNNN! :)

A little hysterical don't you think:-)

We eventually conquered the Vikings here in Ireland but they keep coming back................in long boats......................for the Harp.......................our Lager:-) And wenches too:-(

But the late Greig of Norway is very welcome..his famous piano concerto is lovely, he can haunt the shores of the Happiest country in the world at anytime.

Thanks Greg, yes we have good reason to have smiling eyes after reading some of the crazy stuff here :-)

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Wow the concept that people in other countries may be as happy or even as happy as Americans. How can this be? I thought the rest of the world was a cesspool and the only life that had any value came from here.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:57 pm

I'm working in Norway at the moment and the poll won't get any arguments from me. They have their problems the same as any country but it is a beautiful country and they have a good life.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:21 pm

My point is why the comparison to the U.S.A. when it is apples and oranges? I don't have a problem with someone loving their country, but this idea of better living etc. Sorry, buddy, but the U.S.A. has to fall from the #1 position before I would even consider it.

So many try to twist my words around that I think the rest of the world is crap, which is simply not so.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:20 pm

Sorry genesim.........Australia is no. 1 ! :D :D

Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:52 pm

genesim wrote:When one is making comparisons to the U.S.A. you have to look at the ant vs the human. While it is true that the ant in proportion can lift more, there is still one problem....they are still lifting things as small as a leaf.

America has so many more advantages it would be silly to name them all, but may I begin with the fact that I can drive my car as much as I want, I am also able to own more land, I have the freedom to pick my own healthcare/doctors without having the government rip out my income and do it for me!

Hey you like Norway...good for you. I choose America any day. The richest country in the world by far.

Averages don't mean sh*t when you factor in outliers that would tip the scales in America. Everyone being "equal" doesn't translate to my paradise.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The most laughable crap I've read today! :wink:

You Americans would benefit from travelling a little bit outside the US... :wink:

And by the way: USA the richest country in the world??? :roll:

Br
Kristian

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:12 am

Pete Dube wrote: I liked Norway better when they wore those horn-headed helmuts, wenched to their hearts content, drank themselves into a stupor, and pillaged the English coastline! ODIINNNNN! :)

We still do, from time to time! :wink: :lol:

Br
Kristian

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:57 am

Kristian, we find it easier to just chant "we're number one"
than to actually do any real sizing up of the number of
people who have health care, infant mortality rates, wages, etc.

We're in our own fog. It's as if Europe (which has its
troubles, to sure) doesn't exist. That damn ocean! :lol:

Seriously, it's an interesting survey. To brazenly dismiss
it because the U.N. is involved is plain silly. For all
I know, maybe it is all bunk, but it sure doesn't look
that way to me.

I do agree that we should match or exceed any other
similarly wealthy, western democracy. Any American
patriot should be able to be up for that. Sadly,
we are badly slipping as a nation on many fronts.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:55 am

genesim wrote:When one is making comparisons to the U.S.A. you have to look at the ant vs the human. While it is true that the ant in proportion can lift more, there is still one problem....they are still lifting things as small as a leaf.

A prime example of the "knowledge" some people have. Laughable...

Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:55 am

Scarre -

Forgive Geno; he means well.

It's just that his rose-coloured patriot-glasses are fitted with blinkers as well.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:53 pm

EagleUSA wrote:No offense to Norway... I'm sure it's a very nice place, but I would take anything the U.N. has to offer with a salt mine.

"Norway-Best Place to Live in 2005".....dont know about that though.

Just be sure that you are not in new orleans as a rescue team or the criminals will shoot you while they rob the abonded shops.

Its been all over the news in europe how the criminals now rule the town of new orleans........Us the best place.....for criminals.
Its sad.......

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:40 am

genesim wrote:America has so many more advantages it would be silly to name them all, but may I begin with the fact that I can drive my car as much as I want, I am also able to own more land, I have the freedom to pick my own healthcare/doctors without having the government rip out my income and do it for me!

LMAO. You can do all that stuff in any European country. And you won´t die in the street because you cannnot afford paying a doctor.

The richest country in the world by far.

Has anyone mentioned Luxembourg on this thread?

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:52 am

You call my posts laughable?

Count your blessings...and that is spelled USA.

I love my country and I would never leave it to live in a lessor society.

Like all other posts...dissprove what I say then we can debate.

Let me ask you, in a country that is sooooo great how come they don't lead the world in economy? My ant vs human arguement still stands.

Hey you love it, that is fine. That is why you live where you are, and I live in my country. Funny though, I don't recall ever starting a post about how great my country is. I don't feel the need to convince. :lol: :lol:

That is the difference. Somebody happy with their living doesn't compare.

JEALOUSY..gotta love it.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:11 am

Well, the person who started this thread actually is located in the good ol' USA, if I'm not mistaken... :wink:

I don't feel like I have to defend my country in any ways, I just thought your post was hilarious, not to mention full of incorrect statements.

Your arguments surely tells us that you haven't visited Europe that much, if visited this part of the world at all..?

As for the jealousy part in your recent post; well to me it sounds like it's the other way around... :wink:

That said, I've always loved your country, both for historical and cultural reasons.
The american music and movie industries have had tremendous influence in Europe, including Norway.

Br
Kristian

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:02 pm

Your arguments surely tells us that you haven't visited Europe that much, if visited this part of the world at all..?

I don't have to be hit by a car to know what it feels like either. I learn through observation. There have been many of my friends who have visited Europe and have enjoyed the experience. They enjoyed the culture and a break from the mundane of seeing the same stores everywhere, but in the end when posed the question...they still wanted to come back home and it made them appreciate the U.S.A. so much more.

As for not visiting myself. Yes I admit that I have never went to anypart of Europe. Though I wouldn't mind visiting, there is honestly more beauty in my country that I have not visited. This is perhaps enough to last me a lifetime. I love my country and I do not feel the need to justify it unless attacked....which is quite often by so many on this board.

Jealousy....ok :lol: :lol: Honestly, I don't even think the thought of other cultures enter my mind unless speaking of movies. It just doesn't interest me. Though I am more then happy to engage others and look up information when needed....when it comes to yearning for it on my own? No I can say that with all honesty. My life will go on just fine, and it will be just as rich for it.

not to mention full of incorrect statements.

Name one and please stay away from opinions as a source.

The USA is the richest country in the world. You doubt this?

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:49 pm

genesim wrote:The USA is the richest country in the world. You doubt this?

Yes

Rank Country GDP - per capita
1 Luxembourg $ 55,100
2 Norway $ 37,800
3 United States $ 37,800
4 San Marino $ 34,600
5 Switzerland $ 32,700
6 Denmark $ 31,100
7 Iceland $ 30,900
8 Austria $ 30,000
9 Canada $ 29,800
10 Ireland