Tommy Boy-Holy Shnike Edition
Quick Change
Double Trouble/Spinout-Double Feature
Lilo & Stitch 2
The Hidden/The Hidden 2-Double Feature
Monster-in-Law
Roseanne-Season 1

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:17 pm

I read about the new Gladiator. I won't be buying. First of all, the extended stuff is mostly in the deleted scenes. Also the movie I thought was pretty much perfect as is....BUT the most important thing to consider

NO DTS-ES!!!! What were they thinking! THAT SUCKS! Not only is there a missing 6th channel of sound, but there is also no matrix 6th channel Dolby nor a DTS track at all! More and more I say Screw the new editions. Its supposed to be an upgrade, not downgrade!

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:31 pm

Is it just me or do RC 3 releases (Asia) usually get DTS, when every other region doesn't?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:38 pm

Yes this has annoyed me as well. I have done pepsi challenges just for fun. Case in point...Jurrasic Park. No comparison. Twister..the DTS version is THE VERSION. Sound to me, creates the atmostphere of recent movies. I applaud the work and I think it is a shame how most movies were encoded with DTS sound, but when they come home..are stripped. Why, because DTS takes more information and it is the limitation of the medium. Gladiator no doubt had this problem. I watch for the quality of the movie, not the extras.

LOTR was the last great 6 channl DTS that I heard, and it is a shame that they are becoming few and far between.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Take a look at this Exclusive DTS thread. The database blows your mind. http://tinyurl.com/dflcd

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:51 pm

Oh believe me I have seen it...if not this particular list, I have seen it anyway.

As it stands thanks for the link, now I can be even more pissed. :wink:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:23 pm

genesim wrote:Oh believe me I have seen it...if not this particular list, I have seen it anyway.

As it stands thanks for the link, now I can be even more pissed. :wink:

Gene, your knowledge in this area of DTS and Dolby digital is incredible.

would it be ok if I sent u a pm for sum hints on setting up my new surround sound system?

it's still in the box and haven't had a chance to break it out yet, but when I do, (won't be too long), I'll let ya know...

Thanks!

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm

I wouldn't call it incredible, but you can pm me anytime. There are lots of tricks that I felt made the sound better. I would be more then happy to help.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:31 pm

minkahed wrote:would it be ok if I sent u a pm for sum hints on setting up my new surround sound system?

it's still in the box and haven't had a chance to break it out yet, but when I do, (won't be too long), I'll let ya know...Thanks!

Get that thing out of the box.....NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:45 pm

Add The Truman Show-SE to my list. My first blind buy in about a year.

Tom

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
minkahed wrote:would it be ok if I sent u a pm for sum hints on setting up my new surround sound system?

it's still in the box and haven't had a chance to break it out yet, but when I do, (won't be too long), I'll let ya know...Thanks!

Get that thing out of the box.....NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

No Tom he was speaking of the Home theater system....keep the personal dillema's in pm's! :twisted: :wink:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:58 pm

EWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Tom

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:04 pm

Silverado SE
Witness SE
The Ring 2
The Guns of Navarone
New Jack City SE
Dracula - superbit
The Truman Show SE

Tom, hope you like the truman show, thought it was very good. Haven't seen it since it came out at the theatre. I've been hesitant on blind buys ever since I bought Cast Away and Unbreakable (not criticizing anyone who likes those two, though). Can't wait for Major Dundee...........

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:11 pm

PikeBishop67 wrote:I've been hesitant on blind buys ever since I bought Cast Away and Unbreakable.....

With good cause!!

Tom

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:12 pm

Damn..Cast Away is a great movie that I watch over and over. Has great sound too, though the re-release dvd another DTS 6 channel dropped. Stupid.

The Truman Show was a fine movie. One of Jim Carreys best. Though Eternal Sunshine and Man On The Moon I put above them.

I am a fan of blind buys, especially if it s a nobrainer like the movie was a smash hit. I bought Titanic on VHS and I enjoyed it alot. What is funny is that I hadn't heard that Kate was naked in it, and I wasn't expecting that at all. I was like "hello"! It was alot of fun.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:20 pm

Geno,
You know the difference between Kate Winslet and the Titanic??
Only 1500 people went down on the Titanic.

Tom

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:31 pm

[quote="genesim"]Damn..Cast Away is a great movie that I watch over and over.

Cool, Genesim. Don't get me wrong, aint knockin nobody who likes it, just didnt do it for me, and I'm one who thinks Starship Troopers is a classic :shock: The superbit edition of ST rocks.

"It's an ugly planet, a bug planet!"

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:08 pm

Well I like Starship as well. Cast Away got me on the third watch. It started with me being a sucker for great sound, but after the plane crash, the movie itself got to me. The ending was PERFECT. One of Tom Hanks best. Actually that movie made me like Forrest Gump less. Unlike it, I didn't find any parts contrived i.e. the happy face part.

Tom,

If that is true....cool. Always liked a wild girl. Must be worth the eat or there wouldn't be repeat business. :lol:

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

[quote="genesim"]It started with me being a sucker for great sound

Genesim,

If you like Dracula, the coppola version, the dts track on the superbit is awesome. I had the original release and recently picked up the superbit, a huge difference in sound from the original release, awesome seperation and great use of the rear speakers. 8)

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:26 pm

I have always wanted to give this another rent. I love Superbit discs and I am glad that some companies hold to a greater standard.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:58 am

In my basket:

Cheers - Season 1
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - 2 disc edition

To be honest, I haven't seen a single episode of "Cheers"! I was too young when that show aired. I couldn't resist though, I just had to buy it - I have heard so many good things about it. There's nothing like great American TV shows!

God Bless the USA.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:07 am

Keith Richards, Jr,
You'll like Cheers. It even has another In The Ghetto reference (among a few other Elvis ones, almost exclusively in the later seasons) in one of the episodes. I'd say seasons 4-8 would be the best. In fact, Elvis plays a key role in a season finale (maybe season 9).

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:21 am

Tom -

You wrote:

Sorry to hear of your eyesight problem.

Guess the soundtrack quality will be even more important to you now.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:42 pm

ColinB wrote:Tom -

You wrote:

Sorry to hear of your eyesight problem.

Did you write that one???

Tom