Off Topic Messages

The Wanderers-What a great film.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:05 am

Most of you ,im guessing, have seen the film the Wanderers.

Its one of my most favorite films with a great soundtrack.

I,ve always wanted to own one of those gold jackets. :cry:

Sean

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:59 am

Along with GREASE(puke)

Its one of the worst films based on the 50"s evermade.

Just a view.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 am

iamhekev wrote:Along with GREASE(puke)

Just a view.

AHHhhhh!!! One of Carolyn's favourite movies!!! :wink:

:D

Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:27 pm

iamhekev wrote:Along with GREASE(puke)

Its one of the worst films based on the 50"s evermade.

Just a view.

What are you talking about??

Based on the 50's?? The film was set in 1963, you donut :roll:

Sean

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:25 pm

:oops: Thats me told :oops:

Still crap tho. :roll:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:06 pm

haha.

Well, if everyone liked the same thing, life would be boring.

Cant understand anyone not liking Elvis though.That just doesnt make sense. :?

Sean

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:25 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:
Cant understand anyone not liking Elvis though.That just doesnt make sense. :?

Sean

I told my mam you are bad to me :x

She gave me the slap :cry:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:04 pm

Most people like those two movies for sentimental reasons. I know I do.

There are not that many movies that will make you walk in a totally different (read: cooler) way once you've left the theater. After watching these two I felt like I was ready to take on the world. 8)

Of course, almost 30 years later my rollator doesn't really allow me anymore to walk that cool ...

(Especially) Grease and The Wanderers are cool movies.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:50 pm

"The Wanderers" was based on a novel by Richard Price. Dion's hit "The Wanderer" was a big influence on the book as you can see from the title. In an interesting bit of cross pollination, Dion read the book and saw the movie and used it as the basis for his late period classic "I Used To Be a Brooklyn Dodger".

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:01 am

Ok...why i hate GREASE.

I am a big fan of 50"s rockabilly/hillbilly/western bop,etc.

And to see a film based in the years (50"s) i like,using modern day pop music (and killing hound dog) is a killer for me...but note ME,who ever likes it is fine,but i just hate some thing been made about the 50"s and using modern music.

Hollywood at its worst.

Just "my"views.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:14 am

I agree with Bob, both The Wanderers and Grease are classics in my opinion, and of course, with the former including the death of JFK its certainly not set in the 50s, one of the best soundtracks Ive ever heard.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:41 am

I am not a fan of "Grease" largely because of the fact that there is a belittling aspect to its approach to '50s music. It's a snob Broadway writer's opinion of the '50s. "Look at this silly crap we used to listen to." Of course the Broadway tradition and the early rock tradition are worlds apart as well.

The big "We Go Together" number really captures the whole ballgame. Nonsense lyrics were often used as punctuation in lieu of instruments or later on to describe feelings that words could not described. The lyrics here are strung together to emphasize their silliness and the silliness of the music.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:59 am

Movies like 'Grease' (is the word!) are not to be taken serious at all. There isn't any accuracy with regard to reality, but who needs that in a movie like this? It's supposed to be a feelgood-movie, and I don't think the producers had any intention at all to give a chronological account of major happenings in the US in the 50's.
Like I said, sentimental reasons (are the words!). If a movie like this would be released right now, it would't do anything for me.

Personally I'm not a big fan of hypes, and Grease was a huge hype (even more than once!).
Richard Gere starred in the musical, in the 70's.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:58 am

Personally I loved We Go Together, isnt that the whole point of the song? Doo-Wop Music[sp?] a loving look back to the days of Dion and the Belmonts etc? Shoop Shoop Shoody Doo Wop!!!

I mean, who put the ram..in the ram-a-lang-adingdong?

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:30 am

I'm not sure it was loving. That's the problem. Nearly all the music in the movie and the play (except John Farrar's "You're the One That I Want") bears the derision of camp.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:38 pm

Well,
No matter what anyone says about 'Grease' , up until then it was the biggest grossing film ever.
The album went No.1 all over the world and it had 4 UK No.1's so it must have done something right. :lol:

Films are just what they are,Films, not documentaries.

I remember everyone going mad for it and people used to watch it more than once at the cinema cause it was a FUN film.
Thats what the film and the 50's was all about. FUN!!!!!!!!!

Its like saying, oh i love the Victorian period but the film 'Oliver'never really captured those times. :roll:

I dont think for one minute in the US in the 50's teenagers sang like Danny and Sandy in the playground for real.

I thought 'Grease' captured the 50's perfectly as much as a musical could.

The Wanderers was a fantastic film, in my view :wink:

It brought in the gang element from that time.The racial element and the music of that period and the scene when JFK was killed as 'Stand By Me' was played was very moving.
The songs were put together very well to go with certain scenes in the film.
The film ended brilliantly as well.When music was changing into 'Dylan type music and Rock'N'Roll was fading out.
'Runaround Sue' will always remind me of this great film.

Sean