Electrocution

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
genesim
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Electrocution

Post by genesim »

After having a scary false alarm, a question arose with me.

I realize the importance of not touching a person that is electrocuting, and staying out of the water...but....

I have also heard of instances were people were electrocuted by trying to unplug the problem from the recepticle that caused the problem.

After googling, I really wonder what the best course of action is. I would assume cut the power at the breaker, but most times that is not easy. So is pulling the plug the best option? With it being insulated, my rationale is yes. CPR should follow, but I honestly am at a stand still because I have heard many versions.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

If at all possible, knock the plug out with a non-conducting material, such as wood.

Tom

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Good point!

Boy muh educashun shur payd uff!

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Tom in North Carolina

I'd say this guy needs a refresher course:

Tom

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh god.....where is that LMFAO emoticon!

Tom in North Carolina

The scary thing is that the pic is real. It's off an OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) website.

Tom

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

If I ever went to the site that I was told to go to, I would have already seen that. lol

Rob

Post by Rob »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:The scary thing is that the pic is real. It's off an OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) website.
In all fairness, they say that this guy has a beautiful headstone.

Larry Dickman.
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by Larry Dickman. »

Speaking as an electrician, I would unplug the offending appliance from the wall outlet (unless of course a suitable insulated object was close at hand, as every second is important)....... it would be very unlikely (not impossible) that you would be zapped as both the plug and lead are double insulated, unless of course you were standing in some sort of liquid.

All care no responsibilty accepted by................... :)

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Melanie »

The person in the background (is that a bar?) doesn't seem to worry too much about the situation either.

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Larry Dickman. wrote:Speaking as an electrician, I would unplug the offending appliance from the wall outlet (unless of course a suitable insulated object was close at hand, as every second is important)....... it would be very unlikely (not impossible) that you would be zapped as both the plug and lead are double insulated, unless of course you were standing in some sort of liquid.

All care no responsibilty accepted by................... :)
Thank you for that. How acceptable is GFCI protection? I didn't realize we had it.

Larry Dickman.
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by Larry Dickman. »

GFCI is good, but RCD (residual current device) is a better option......GFCI detects fault currents on the earth circuit where as RCD detects a differencial in the active and neutral circuits (the currnt in both should always be the same)

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Thank you. This has all been helpful.