Off Topic Messages

Your favourite scene in a comedy movie?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:55 am

What's your favourite scene/s from a comedy movie?

Mine is from the movie ”Saving Silverman” or as it known in the UK…”Evil Woman”

BASIC STORY: Three guys, JD(Jack Black).. Wayne(Steve Zahn) ,,and Darren (Jason Biggs) play in a Neil Diamond tribute band, Darren meets a girl named Judith (Amanda Peet). Judith seems nice to Darren, but his two buddies, Wayne and J.D. see differently. They see that Judith is a complete monster that is trying to stop Darren from seeing them ever again! ...she makes Darren leave the band, then Darren announces that he is going to marry Judith. So with no time to lose they hatch a plan to stop Darren from marrying Judith.

Image Image Image

I watched this rip-roaring comedy again tonight, for about the tenth time, and it's got to be one of my all-time favourite comedies.......I roll about laughing every time i watch it...it's fu**ing hilarious.

My favourite scene in the one where JD (JACK BLACK) is watching Wayne(STEVE ZAHN).......(on a monitor) tie up Judith in the cellar when she’s caught again- after her attempt to escape.

Cut to next scene- Wayne walks into the room, JD is sitting down relaxing.

Wayne “What the hell happened?”

JD “Well….Judith was giving me some therapy….and it helped me realise I was gay…..and the next thing”

Wayne “Wait…..What?.......Oh I see what happened (laughs)…she messed with your head”

JD “Wayne…….I’M GAY”

Wayne (laugh’s) “No you’re not……..You’re just unsuccessful with women”

JD “No….I’M GAY………..Judith got me in touch with the inner JD”

Wayne “How’d she do that”?

JD "She listened..(look’s at Wayne)…....unlike other people who’ve known me for years but have ignored all the tell-tale signs”

Wayne “Like what?”

JD “Like my obsession with Bette Midler…my preference for track lighting…….OH!..and the fact that I like SUCKING DICK!”

Wayne (shocked) “WHAT!.....YOU'VE done THAT?”

JD “NO……I mean, not with another guy, but remember when I bought that book on yoga”

Wayne (annoyed) “That’s enough….if you wanna be gay, fine- NO PROBLEM….but from now on I’ll take care of Judith myself OK!”

JD “ok”

(Wayne sits down and open’s a book)

JD (look’s at Wayne) “You wanna be gay with me?”

Wayne (shouts) “NO!” and storms out of the room.

That's just my favourite scene, this movie is packed full of hilarious scene's just like the last example.

If you aint seen this movie...you must.....it's FU**ING HILARIOUS....It creases me up with laughter every time i watch it.

Sq
Last edited by the squirrel on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:16 am

The whole Lax-U-Luv scene in dumb and dumber.

Yeah, I know, 'bout my level.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:29 pm

Steve, yes I love that scene too but I would like to vote for a couple of others:

The "those aren't pillows" scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy.

The final scene in The Pink Panther Strikes Again where Peter Sellers is trying to undress in order to get into bed with Lesley Anne Down. Also the "Pavlova of the parallel bars" scene in the same movie.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:32 pm

Delmar O'Donnell: We thought you was a toad!
Pete: What?
Delmar O'Donnell: [leaning in, speaking slower] We thought you was a toad!

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:57 pm

It'd be something with The Marx Brothers, but I'm finding it hard to choose one! There's the "suitcase packing" scene (it's silent, there is no dialogue to reproduce) in A Night In Casablanca, which isn't even one of their best movies, but which has me in stitches every time.

Jules

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:02 pm

I'll try to keep this at a minimum....

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

When the major tries to get a posse together to go after Butch and Sundance and he's like, "Now, how many of you can bring your own guns?" [silence among the gathered crowd] "How many of you are expecting me to supply you with guns?" [silence again]. Classic.

[after blowing the train car to smithereens]
Sundance Kid: Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?

Butch Cassidy: How many are following us?
Sundance Kid: All of 'em.
Butch Cassidy: All of 'em. What's the matter with those guys?

Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Why you crazy, the fall will probably kill you.

They have just gotten off the train in Bolivia and are surveying a very dismal barnyard scene. Butch offers: "Well, it could be worse. You get a lot more for your money in Bolivia. I checked." Replies the obviously disgusted Sundance: "What could they have here that you would possibly want to buy?"

------------

Numerous Peter Sellers routines from the PINK PANTHER series in which his phony French accent causes him to be misunderstood. His physical clowning in "Shot In The Dark". The scene with the cues and George Sanders has me in tears of laughter. Clouseau is in disguise dressed up as a sort of long john silver character with an inflatable parrot on his shoulder. The parrot keeps deflating when he's talking to someone, and he has to keep pumping it up by vigorously flapping his arm, using the pump hidden in his armpit. Had me in stitches, and I almost collapsed when he finally over-inflated the bird and it went flying off. "Thar she blows....."

Dr Strangelove, which has one of the funniest scenes in cinema history for my money, namely the phone conversation between Sellers and the Russian premier. Also "Gentleman, you can't fight in here! This is the war room", besides the obvious and immortal "Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

The Party: he pulls the toilet paper roll, then stands there watching the entire roll spin off the cardboard. I quite like this film; it has a great flow (though it kind of unravels toward the end) - the scene with the painting, his discovering the oscilloscope/sound system (has me howling), and a great moment where the drunk waiter reels into the kitchen; the swinging door opens and we get a brief glimpse of him being choked by the enraged headwaiter.

Director: You.
Hrundi V. Bakshi: Me?
Director: Yes, you. Get off of my set, and out of my picture. Off, off! You're washed up, you're finished! I'll see to it that you never make another movie again!
Hrundi V. Bakshi: Does that include television, sir?

C. S. Divot: You mashuga!
Hrundi V. Bakshi: I am not your sugar.

------------

the gas station in Mad Mad Mad Mad World

-------------

Airplane!

Roger Murdock: We have clearance Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over.
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Roger.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: Roger, over.
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Captain Oveur: Huh?

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

lots of classic visual gags in this film....

Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:58 pm

One of my favorites is in the movie Boogie Nights. It is when Buck is explaining stereos with the TK421(from Star Wars..and no doubt made up. lol) modification. When he speaks of having this very unit in his home...and the modification putting it up another ..uh 3 or 4 quads per channnel..but that just technical talk.

It absolutely makes me roll. That and the fact of a black guy, in that time period, wearing a cowboy outfit and holding a cofee cup. Reminds me of Blazing Saddles. I know exactly what the director is speaking of. Also the way he says the country music..kicks...it curls your stomach....(looking at the guy and nodding)....it makes you want to freaky dinky! Go ahead and move with it...I know I do(as he moves his hips back and forth while drinking the cofee, as if it is the most natural thing in the world):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That movie has many comedic moments.

Pulp Fiction would be a close second with "Marvin" getting shot in the back seat. That floors me too. "Cops tend to notice sh*t like you're driving in a car drenched in blood!"

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:11 pm

genesim wrote:Pulp Fiction would be a close second with "Marvin" getting shot in the back seat. That floors me too. "Cops tend to notice sh*t like you're driving in a car drenched in blood!"

My favourite scene in Pulp Fiction is after that when they are cleaning up the car:-

--------

Jules: Oh, man. I will never forgive your ass for this sh*t. This is some f*cked-up repugnant sh*t.

Vincent: Did you ever hear the philosophy that once a man admits he is wrong, he is immediately forgiven for all wrong-doing? Have you ever heard that?

Jules: Get the f*ck out my face with that sh*t. The motherf*cker who said that sh*t never had to pick up no itty-bitty pieces of skull on account of your dumb ass.

Vincent: I've got a threshold Jules. I have a threshold for the abuse I will take. Now all I'm saying is I'm a race car. And right now you got me in the f*ckin' red. And all I'm saying is it's dangerous to keep a race car in the f*ckin' red. I could blow.

Jules: Oh, oh, you ready to blow? Well, I'm a mushroom cloud-layin' motherf*cker, motherf*cker. Everytime my fingers touch brain, I'm "SUPERFLY TNT", I'm "THE GUNS OF NAVARONE". In fact, what the f*ck am I doing in the back? You're the motherf*cker who should be on brain detail. We're f*cking switching. I'm washing the windows and you're picking up this deleted - see guidelines #2's skull.

---------

Jules

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:20 pm

That last paragraph....the whole Bonnie sequence was a true scream! Spike Lee who criticizes it to no end, just doesn't get it, and never will.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:07 pm

just to tick-off genesim...lol

probably either the mall destruct-o scene or the penguin in the blues brothers... or possibly jake getting out of jail and elwood picking him up in a police car... or maybe the freefalling pinto with the illinois nazis. possibly the "have you seen the light?!" "what light?" scene... can't forget carrie fisher either...

or maybe the soul food diner with aretha...

"give me 3 fried chickens and a coke."
"do you want chicken wings or chicken legs?"
"3 fried chickens, and a coke."

:lol:

no wait...i figured it out...it's the chez paul scene that is funniest.

"how much for the little girl?! your daughters. sell them to me! sell me your children!"

"if you say no, elwood and i will come here for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the week."
::elwood stuffs a bunch of bread in his face::
"ok, ok, you got me."

damn, so many great moments.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:39 pm

The fight scene from Dumb&Dumber when they were in the restaurant and Jim Carey is using the guys nuts as a speed bag, frickin hilarious! Then the karate/chef guy comes out, after an exchange, Carey rips his still beating heart out, truely classic. I still laugh like crazy every time I see that movie.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:34 am

Smokey & The Bandit: The scene when Sheriff Justice (Jackie Gleason) walks out of the bathroom with toilet paper attached to his sunglasses and he then puts them on his head! :lol:

Airplane: The scene in the cockpit when Captain Over (played by Peter Graves) asks the little boy who's visiting:

Capt Over: "You ever been in a cockpit before"

Boy: "No"

Capt Over: "You ever seen a grown man naked?"

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:16 am

The song and dance routine with the monster and Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein - "PUUUTTTING ON THE RIITTZZ!!!". Cracks me up every time :)

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:23 am

TJ wrote:The song and dance routine with the monster and Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein - "PUUUTTTING ON THE RIITTZZ!!!". Cracks me up every time :)

Oh that one is priceless! One of my earliest memories is of watching that scene when I was a kid and hardly being able to breathe for laughing so hard!

Jules

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Big Boss Man wrote:Airplane: The scene in the cockpit when Captain Over (played by Peter Graves) asks the little boy who's visiting:

Airplane again,

"We have to get this man to a hospital quick."

"A hospital? Oh no, what is it?"

"Well it's a tall building with lots of rooms in it, but that's not important right now"

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:34 pm

hehe...young frankenstein...

actually for me it was always the "rolling in za hay", "what knockers!" and "frau blucher" jokes that always made me laugh...

also the scalpel in gene wilder's leg.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:22 am

Cant believe no one mention the 'hair gel' scene in There's Something About Mary.... :o

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:38 am

Steve_M wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:Airplane: The scene in the cockpit when Captain Over (played by Peter Graves) asks the little boy who's visiting:

Airplane again,

"We have to get this man to a hospital quick."

"A hospital? Oh no, what is it?"

"Well it's a tall building with lots of rooms in it, but that's not important right now"

Airplane is great but what about Airplane 2 with the whole conversation around i was under over and you were under done. No i was under done, you were under over.

And the court room scene where Ted striker is testifying. Hilarious!