Off Topic Messages

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:35 pm

jake wrote:Just a small, small, small thing I noticed with the packaging. Why did they put a Gibson on the cover, as both Holly and Valens will be forever associated with playing the Fender Stratocaster !

You know I wondered that too! It was one of those things that was annoying, but I didn't comment because I couldn't place the discreprency.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:11 am

I kind of have a problem with "The Buddy Holly Story's" abuse of the facts. I particularly don't care for the way it marginalizes the role played by the fellow Crickets and by Norman Petty. Petty is basically written out of the movie. The only producers we see are studio flacks trying to jam Buddy into a pigeonhole. In reality, Petty was a real collaborator with Buddy a kind of George Martin articulating many of Buddy's ideas into music. The Elvis reference is bizarre because it depicts Elvis as basically a straight country artist.

I agree with Genesim that it does capture the essence of Holly and his music but it is almost all fiction. The Holly tunes are indestructible (although anybody who thinks Busey performs them as well as Holly did is insane) and it's fun to watch but it's also frustrating.

"La Bamba" is a little better. Although, Los Lobos' proper folk rendition of "La Bamba" is genuinely annoying and obscures what made Valens' recording so special. Ritchie's record was great because it rocked.

The obligatory and largely accurate love story actually adds to the story in that reminds that Valens and many of the early rockers were just kids and of the way the music allowed them an outlet.

A personal disappointment for me is that neither movie attempted to portray Dion. Dion and his group the Belmonts were on the Winter Dance Tour that took the lives of Holly, Valens and the Big Bopper. Dion was asked if he wanted in for the plane ride but the cost was $35 the same amount his parents paid for rent in the Bronx so he opted out. It's funny how history can turn on a dime.

Dion had grown fairly close with Holly on the tour and they often played together on the bus. As two performers with growing ambition, a collaboration could have been in the cards like the brilliant one Holly did with King Curtis just before his death. He wasn't a major player in the Hollly story but it still would be cool to see one of rock's coolest performers portrayed on the big screen.

On his excellent 2000 album, Dion did a terrific piece about the tour called "Hug My Radiator" which recalls the frozen conditions on the bus that led Holly to charter the plane.

By the way it must have been terrific to be a rock fan in the '50s when virtually every rock and roll show, except of course Elvis, was a cavalcade of stars. Dion and the Belmonts, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper all on the same bill. That's a great show.

Neither movie really depicted Waylon Jennings who was the one who lost the coin toss. It profoundly affected his life. His absence is especially notable because Jennings was a major celebrity at the time both movies were made. It would have made sense to try and make a connection. Perhaps the producers felt it would have been disconcerting to mix with rockers with a country performer. However, that was where the music's roots were and Jennings was always one of the most rebellious and rock influenced country performers.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:03 pm

Likethebike very good points. I can't place it, and though facts are twisted and maybe outright changed...I still find both movies a good pairing in one set.

La Bamba is the better if I had to pick, but both are more satisfying then any Elvis venture. Actually like alot of talk, makes me want to see the movies again!

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:39 pm

Your points are accurate likethebike. You are obviously a real fan of 50's Rock and Roll.

For those who maybe interested, I recently purchased two fine DVD's from amazon. "The Complete Ritchie Valens", which consists of interviews with Valen's family members, Bob Keane and other fellow musicians, and come with a 28 track audio program. Also, "The Music Of Buddy Holly and the Crickets" (amazon UK, but will be released in the US in October) which has new interviews with Jerry Allison, Joe Mauldin, Sonny Curtis, Tommy Allsup, Carl Bunch..............Both are highly recommended for fans of Holly and Valens ! :D

Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:14 pm

Buddy holly story is so full of lies and false info,its a dam same.

No wonder yer man Sonny Curtis go"s ape in interviews when this movie is brought up.

He went in to a studio and recorded ... The Real Buddy Holly Story.

He was well peed off with this film.

http://www.pmoorcroft.freeserve.co.uk/tshaw1.htm

Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:25 pm

la bamba and great balls of fire, would have been a better (and more famous) match...however buddy and ritchie are pretty connected because they died together with the big bopper. still, the buddy holly story is a mediocre movie at best, whereas la bamba and great balls of fire have significant more entertainment value.

and give me lou diamond phillips and dennis quaid anyday over gary busey--his portrayal of buddy was annoying at best--i preferred watching the actors that played the crickets over gary's portrayal--though i kept thinking of the one guy as toad from american graffiti...lol

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:05 pm

There was a great special that was available on VHS and hosted by Paul McCartney. It was called "The Real Buddy Holly Story" and Curtis opened it with his song. It contained the footage of Elvis and Holly backstage which I guess was spliced. It also contained a rip roaring version of Buddy singing "Oh Boy" on TV. Anybody know if this is on DVD?

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:44 pm

likethebike wrote:There was a great special that was available on VHS and hosted by Paul McCartney. It was called "The Real Buddy Holly Story" and Curtis opened it with his song. It contained the footage of Elvis and Holly backstage which I guess was spliced. It also contained a rip roaring version of Buddy singing "Oh Boy" on TV. Anybody know if this is on DVD?

It's on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 05-4570556

Has anyone noticed that "The Buddy Holly Story" is fullscreen?