Off Topic Messages

Buddy Holly Story/La Bamba Double Feature DVD

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Look for it on September 13th:

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:24 pm

I knew this kind of stuff was coming..box sets are in and realizing the dvd's capacity, one must cash in.

Lets just hope that quality isn't sacrificed to do so!

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Thankfully, these will be on 2 seperate discs and not a flipper.

Tom

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:29 pm

That is very good news. I like the cover art as well. 2 very good films. Too bad Elvis can't get a movie in this caliber. "Elvis" is as close as we are going to get. Though I understand the subject matter of the other two are slightly easier..and shorter.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:01 am

While I can't speak for LaBamba, I'm glad Elvis hasn't gotten a movie of the "calibre" of "The Buddy Holly Story", because while it is an entertaining piece of fluff, it ignores history in favor of a movie that barely resembles the story of the man the movie claims to be about. (Much like, "Great Balls Of Fire" about Jerry Lee Lewis.)

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:38 am

I can't speak for the "Buddy Holly Story" but I liked "La Bamba" alot. I know that the director made up a lot of stuff (the love triangle between Ritchie and Bob) for effect, but the music is showcased very well. They give this movie on cable often and I never miss it, it never gets old to me.

TINML

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:29 am

Kingofthejungle...while the history may be bent here and there, the essence of the man is very respectable. That and the fact that is a very entertaining movie. Gary Busy does a fine job.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:34 am

2 great films!

Thanks again Tom, I'll be pickin' that one up as wel...

jus curious tho...why weren't they released seperately?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:01 am

i liked the buddy holly story, but i don't really like gary busey. however, i LOVE la bamba.

of the two movies, la bamba was a lot sadder and touching. i have both of them, but i have to say i really don't have so much interest in watching the buddy holly story again. respectable for a biodrama though. i definitely preferred lou diamond phillips' acting...and i don't know of many people actually that don't know of that movie. i don't think many have seen the buddy holly story.

los lobos did a fabulous job of impersonating ritchie valens--it's really hard to tell the difference. lou diamond philips was never off on his lipsynching either (unlike our latest elvis telepic).

great balls of fire is another good one. i'd say great balls of fire and la bamba are the better of the 3 main rock 'n roll biodramas that have been made.

if only we could get a respectable elvis biodrama, with decent casting decisions. i guess i'll have to see the kurt russell one, first, but i doubt any of the elvis ones have been done to my taste of what i expect.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:16 am

Who in the hell is "Gary Busy"?

DJC

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Who in the hell is "Gary Busy"?

DJC

A typing error, thats all....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000997/

and a very "busy" man to boot :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:25 pm

minkahed wrote:2 great films!

They must have been released separate as I have them both in my collection. :D

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:06 pm

Rusty Martin* wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Who in the hell is "Gary Busy"?

DJC

A typing error, thats all....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000997/

and a very "busy" man to boot :wink:

Everyone knows who she meant except the Doc.!!!
Why doesn't that surprise me!!! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:29 pm

SHE!!!

Damn it, I was the one that was trying to bait Spellbinder/Doc. Please do not take that away from me. :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:32 pm

I thought Gary Busey was annoying as Buddy, but enjoyed Lou Diamond Phillips as Ritchie. However, casting either role is far easier than casting the leading role in an Elvis film. Buddy is Mr Average and Richie's look is anonymous to most. With Elvis, the height, hair, looks, speech patterns, on stage movements, etc etc are scrutinised because Elvis is more familiar. Neither Gary Busey or Lou Diamond Phillips look anything like the person they portrayed and both would have been blasted if expectations were greater.

There are some ludicrous moments in the Buddy Story. I seem to recall a big argument with a producer where Buddy says he "likes Elvis just fine" but wants to do his own thing and use just guitar, bass and drums - as if he invented the notion and Elvis had been touring the south with a 10 piece band :lol:
Last edited by TJ on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:41 pm

What people overlook with both movies are the great supporting cast. "Elvis" was just exactly what it was, a made for tv movie. It didn't have the feel of a budget movie. As far as the characters, I don't think they were any easier to play, the difference was the scope of career and material to cover.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:48 pm

genesim wrote:What people overlook with both movies are the great supporting cast. "Elvis" was just exactly what it was, a made for tv movie. It didn't have the feel of a budget movie. As far as the characters, I don't think they were any easier to play, the difference was the scope of career and material to cover.

I agree about the overall production qualities, but the characters are easier to play because there is more freedom for the actor to do their own thing. That's particularly true for Ritchie, where there is so little footage of him that the actor almost has a blank canvas to work with. Playing Elvis, there is no margin for error.
Last edited by TJ on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:54 pm

That is a good point. I never said playing Elvis was easy. If that were true we would have better examples to critique. I don't agree there is no margin of error for Elvis. If you have a fine movie, then it can be overlooked. Strangely, the best Elvis I have seen is Bubba Ho Tep. I have always wanted someone like Oliver Stone to do Elvis. If only he could balance the good with the bad. But alas that is the problem, I am afraid he would just show the bad. The drugged Elvis needs to be shown in every way, but one must first paint the rise fairly. That way, the end hurts that much more. Just like with the other two movies mentioned above.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:12 pm

genesim wrote:SHE!!!

Damn it, I was the one that was trying to bait Spellbinder/Doc. Please do not take that away from me. :lol:

Sorry Genesim...Spelly is getting ready to go on holiday(NO..he`s NOT Colin 8) )..he may have missed that one, and anything I can do to counter the Doc`s sarcasm is too tempting :wink:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:34 pm

"SHE walks by moonlight..."

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:36 pm

genesim wrote:Strangely, the best Elvis I have seen is Bubba Ho Tep.

I still haven't seen that, but keep hearing positive comments about it. I'll have to rent it and see for myself.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:38 pm

Any Elvis fan should see it, with an open mind. With that, I can't see how they will regret it. Do not stop it till the movie is over.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:00 pm

Luuk wrote:
minkahed wrote:2 great films!

They must have been released separate as I have them both in my collection. :D

You damn well know what I mean...the RE-ISSUE!!!

The RE-ISSUE!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:31 am

Just a small, small, small thing I noticed with the packaging. Why did they put a Gibson on the cover, as both Holly and Valens will be forever associated with playing the Fender Stratocaster !

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:01 am

jake wrote:Just a small, small, small thing I noticed with the packaging. Why did they put a Gibson on the cover, as both Holly and Valens will be forever associated with playing the Fender Stratocaster !

maybe the producer of the DVD had Elvis in mind??? :D