Off Topic Messages

TV Shows on DVD EDITED

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:53 pm

It has been confirmed by Gord Lacey of TV Shows on DVD that the following DVD releases contain the edited (or syndication) versions, which means that 3-4 minutes have been cut from the original network broadcast to allow for more commercials:

The Cosby Show
3rd Rock From the Sun
Roseanne

In my opinion, this is pure laziness on the part of Anchor Bay as the uncut versions are still readily available, although they may cost a bit more. Please let Anchor Bay know how you feel about this:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/i ... Contact_Us

Tom

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:46 pm

Can't wait.

http://press.xtvworld.com/modules.php?n ... e&sid=6197

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Damn it Maurice, now you're pissing me off! Tom's just trying to spread info on items some people would to know about. I know your purpose is to taunt Tom, but do we all have to put up with reading your "replies"?

TINML
*Maurice, it's nothing personal.....

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:30 pm

Oh yeah, Thanks Tom. It's a shame that people that might not know about the edits will get ripped off due to Anchor Bay's laziness.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:34 pm

TINML,
From what I've heard, Anchor Bay has been inundated with irate emails from folks saying that they would not buy the edited versions. I doubt seriously if AB will change a thing, but they may think twice about skimping in the future.

Tom

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:56 am

Wait a second. Anchor Bay is one of the premiere companies that make a habit of getting it right the first time. Though sindicated is not ideal...at least it was what the original viewers saw to begin with.

Also as far as edited...lets start with All In The Family. Several of those episodes have cuts.

I applaud the Cosby Show even coming out at all!

Though I for one will voice an opinion too..so I will click on the link. But rest assured, this is not the norm with this company. Hell I am still trying to get through the 4 disc set of Dawn Of The Dead!

The Three's Company stuff is well done also. Nothing like pantyhose women wrestling around. lol

Seriously could they jam those sets with anymore extras? Even Three's company have some edits, but in alot of cases, the video just isn't to be had. Most of the P.S.'s I don't miss. At least the actual broadcast show is intact!

for the record, I just wrote them with this edit.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:53 am

genesim wrote:Wait a second. Anchor Bay is one of the premiere companies that make a habit of getting it right the first time.

Evidently not.

genesim wrote:Though sindicated is not ideal...at least it was what the original viewers saw to begin with.

Actually, Tom's point -- the point of this topic -- is that what you get on DVD is NOT "what the original viewers saw to begin with."

DJC

Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:52 pm

Tom -
Has the short-lived 1991 Dark Shadows tv series been released on dvd? I have a vague recollection of seeing it in stores a couple of years ago. But when I recently looked for it I couldn't find it.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
genesim wrote:Wait a second. Anchor Bay is one of the premiere companies that make a habit of getting it right the first time.

Evidently not.

genesim wrote:Though sindicated is not ideal...at least it was what the original viewers saw to begin with.

Actually, Tom's point -- the point of this topic -- is that what you get on DVD is NOT "what the original viewers saw to begin with."

DJC

Boy you are wrong on alot of counts. The syndicated version is not NECESSARILY unlike what the original audience saw. They still had commercials then. Once it was broadcast there were going to be cuts. Many of us have been spoiled by having extra scenes back in which were never there to begin with. In many cases I remember seeing the original version..having seen it live!

Syndicated doesn't always mean that the footage was cut more then usual. For instance I have seen cases where there were no local commercials and they were saved for the end along with a infomercial to to feel out the last half of an hour. Sometimes the integrity of the original program is saved. One would have to know the masters to make an informed opinion.

All In the Family has a episode called Gloria, the Victim which has her being attacked and not knowing what to do. It is my opinion that she had been raped and chose to lie about the situation. The episode is one of the most dark ones that the show ever had. Archie is yelling about not calling the police..and we should protect our own only...we have to look out for ourselves... And while he is fading, they close in on Gloria's face. She is cracking literally in front of the camera. One of the most chilling episodes ever and the way it should have ended!

BUT with the dvd, they put in a extra scene that has a little P.S. with them sitting at the table joking around??? This was not meant for broadcast, and I have never seen it. TV shows are meant to be ~23 minutes. The rest is EXTRA. In some cases these are nice nuggets, but in alot, it simply is what it is...EXTRA.

I challenge anyone to know every Cosby Show episode as it was orignally broadcast. Most of us have seen it re-runs anyway.

As far as Anchor Bay, yes Doc, they did this time. And I say, pick another company to boycott. Their releases have been extraordinary. Look on your average Amazon review. Look at how they treat their movies with some having a wisp of a cult following. The horror genre with THX certification and DTS 6 channel sound! Some cases I can't believe it....like Susperia or Maniac?? I love it, and wish other companies followed suit. As far as cut stuff, hmmm lets start with MGM or Paramount! This is after all a much smaller company and if they didn't get the supposed uncut version of the Cosby Show it could very well be for reasons like financial short comings. Though rest assured, they have righted their wrongs....case in point Evil Dead! Fans complained so they ended up releasing MANY versions of the movie.

Doc I suspect that like some cases, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I am a huge fan of Anchor Bay and having followed them after a few Elite Entertainment buy outs, they are entitled to some goofs. It really isn't the norm. I'll stress again, just look at the work for Three's Company. Without anchor bay movies like The Stuntman wouldn't get the special treatment. I applaud their hard work put into their dvd's. Even their "bare bones" blows other's away. Perhaps you should do some reasearch and find out for yourself.

What one shouldn't ignore is the 90 minute documentary! Given a booklet too, and that is more then alot of companies do for their product. Case in point...SONY or Columbia Tri Star!

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:06 pm

genesim wrote:Doc I suspect that like some cases, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.!

No. You're confusing your style of posting here with mine -- although one must change "some" to "most" to be accurate.

DJC

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:15 pm

genesim wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
genesim wrote:Boy you are wrong on alot of counts. The syndicated version is not NECESSARILY unlike what the original audience saw. They still had commercials then. Once it was broadcast there were going to be cuts.

There are certainly some cases where the original broadcast version was longer than when syndicated. When first shown in the UK, Family Ties was shown in complete form, but later edited.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Tj I said not "necessarily". I did not say that there absolutely were not cases. Actually I said the opposite..hence there being local commercials that have to take some time.

As far as you Doc...no wonder most people can't stand you. I give you a thought out response disproving your uneducated statement and all you can come up with is a pesonal attack. Par to course.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:33 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Tom -
Has the short-lived 1991 Dark Shadows tv series been released on dvd?

Dark Shadows-The Complete Revival Series will street on October 18th;

Tom

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks Tom. It will be great to have this series in time for Halloween.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:18 am

Add Andy Griffith to the list of edited shows as there is a disclaimer on the recent volume that the show is edited. One of the reasons for getting shows on DVD in seasons rather than watching on TV is to get these unedited shows. I'm not talking outtakes I'm talking about cuts made to the shows after they aired to allow for more commercials.

A show like Andy Griffith has been completely disembowelled in syndication as most episode run near 26 minutes and most stations try and shove it in a 21 and a half minute slot. The tags at the end, which at one time were in syndication, are almost always victims of cuts for more commercials.

Except in this area, Anchor Bay has been a class company. Always giving their movies the deluxe treatment with extras and top visuals. They often do this for movies that slip under the major's radar like "The Wicker Man" or "Race With the Devil" etc. For a genre enthusiast it's a treat.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:25 am

likethebike wrote:Except in this area, Anchor Bay has been a class company. Always giving their movies the deluxe treatment with extras and top visuals. They often do this for movies that slip under the major's radar like "The Wicker Man" or "Race With the Devil" etc. For a genre enthusiast it's a treat.

Thank you..though I wonder if the Doc will give the company its due. Though in all fairness, considering the mass scope..and like I said before, the great treatment of Three's Company, they have done well.

By the way, has anyone else ever seen an instance where the P.S. ruined the show..like All In The Family? Sometimes the last joke is where it should end.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:16 am

Some of the AG tags are priceless though especially the one where Barney makes up "Oh My Daring Barney Fife". I just want the shows as they were originally broadcast and in the case of AG as I originally saw them before commercial mania set in. Just to set the record straight "Andy" is a Paramount show and DVD not Anchor Bay to avoid any confusion as I know Anchor Bay was the subject of discussion.

I know if Batman were issued in the form that it was recently shown on TVLand I would be furious. You can see the edited versions on TV.

If something is added there should be an option to view the show/movie in its original form.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:59 am

genesim wrote:... all you can come up with is a pesonal attack.

A "pesonal attack"?

I don't believe anyone can be guilty of that.

DJC

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:18 am

likethebike wrote:Add Andy Griffith to the list of edited shows as there is a disclaimer on the recent volume that the show is edited. I'm not talking outtakes I'm talking about cuts made to the shows after they aired to allow for more commercials. The tags at the end, which at one time were in syndication, are almost always victims of cuts for more commercials.

Unfortunately the parts that were cut at the end were usually the funniest of the entire episode.

By the way.....outtakes to this show (and there are plenty of them) would be hilarious to watch.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:56 am

Letter to Anchor Bay from yours truly:

Why have you guys put the EDITED versions of the Cosby
Show out??? This is a pure outrage. I for one will
not buy because of that very reason.

I have bought plenty of you guys
product..Highlander..Dawn Of THe Dead..Three's
Company(every Season so far) etc. There have been
screwups..but to settle for subpar is just plain lazy.

Take care.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Answer from Anchor Bay:

We did not release the Cosby Show.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DOH!! As I loudly smack my forehead.

I guess I should have checked my facts, Ventura/UrbanWorks Ent. released the show.

Thanks buddy Tom. I owe you one. :wink:

XXXXXXXXX

drjohncarpenter wrote:
genesim wrote:... all you can come up with is a pesonal attack.

A "pesonal attack"?

I don't believe anyone can be guilty of that.

DJC

I know it is hard for you to comprehend, but it is possible even with people you don't know to make personal accusations. Not saying there is any basis or truth to your actions. Of course most of the time you just resort to name calling and overall putdowns. Pity the man whose only way of looking good is to stand on the shouldiers of others, and to do anything to make fellow posters look bad.

Incidently, you ready to eat your "evidently not" statement in regards to the Cosby Show distributer? :roll:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:36 am

genesim wrote:I know it is hard for you to comprehend ...

Speaking of comprehension, what is a "<b>pesonal</b> attack"?

DJC

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
genesim wrote:I know it is hard for you to comprehend ...

Speaking of comprehension, what is a "<b>pesonal</b> attack"?

DJC

Gee Doc, For someone wanting more people to show inteligent postings you are sure hitting the bottm of the barrel.

If you can't make out what is meant when someone makes a typo you have my sympathy!!! :roll:

This seems to be the new standard for the Doc's posts these days!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Careful Sam.....Doc is still reading and comprehending. :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:00 pm

I now wish I had read this thread before purchasing the Season 3 Andy Griffith DVD set. It's very disappointing to see those fine episodes "chopped up" the way they have them. Heck, I can watch the same ones on tv for nothing! If this trend of editing these classic shows continues, I guess I'll be spending my money on other material.