Off Topic Messages

SE DVD's of Classic Musicals

Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:06 pm

Fox Home Entertainment has announced a 40th Anniversary release of The Sound of Music which stars Julie Andrews. The two-disc special edition will be available to own from the 15th November this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 2.20:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby 4.0 Surround and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras on the first disc will include an introduction by Julie Andrews, an audio commentary by Robert Wise, a second commentary with Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, an isolated score, a jump to song feature, and English, French and Spanish sing-a-long subtitles. The second disc will house another intro by Julie Andrews, a retrospective documentary, an On location with the Sound of Music feature, a Liesl to Gretl: A 40th Anniversary Reunion feature, a feature on the Sing-Along phenomenon, a storyboard gallery and a behind the scenes featurette. Completing the package will be lobby cards and one sheets, screen tests for Mia Farrow and Marni Nixon, and a selection of trailers and TV spots.

Fox Home Entertainment has announced a two-disc special edition of 1955 classic Oklahoma! which stars Gordon Macrae, Shirley Jones, Eddie Albert and Rod Steiger. The film will be available to own from the 15th November, and should retail at around $26.98. The set will include two versions of the film (the 1955 Cinemascope Feature, and the 1955 Todd AO Version), along with English 5.0 Dolby Surround and Stereo tracks. Extras will include a commentary on the cinemascope version by Ted Chapin and Hugh Fordin, a commentary on the Todd AO version by by Shirley Jones and Nick Redman, some sing-along subtitles for both versions, jump to song features, a Cinemascope vs. Todd AO featurette, Vintage Stage Excerpts (Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' Performed by Gordon MacRae and People Will Say We're in Love Performed by Gordon MacRae & Florence Henderson) and trailers. Completing the package will be behind the scenes still galleries, lobby cards and one sheets and The Miracle of Todd-AO and The March of Todd-AO features.

Fox Home Entertainment has also announced a special edition of musical State Fair which stars Jeanne Crain, Tom Fadden, Dick Haymes and Dana Andrews. The two-disc release will be available to own from the 15th November, and should retail at around $26.98. The new set will include both the original 1945 musical, as well as the 1962 version. The original will be presented in 1.37:1, whereas the 1962 version will receive a 2.35:1 presentation. Extras will include a commentary by Richard Barrios and Tom Briggs on the original, an audio commentary by Pat Boone on the 1962 film, a From Page, To Screen, To Stage featurette, various still galleries, sing-along subtitles, the State Fair Television Pilot, and a Vintage Stage Excerpt: It Might As Well Be Spring Performed by Mary Martin.

Tom

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 pm

"i am 16 going on 17..."

i spent my 16th birthday alone watching sound of music and sixteen candles because my parents weren't talking to me that day (not even hello).

i have not one, but two vhs sound of musics--one is so old it's oddly colored. and i have the other two on vhs as well.

i also have the sound of music soundtrack. "high up on a hill there was a lonely goat, yodel-ay yodel-ay hey-hoo..." "girls in white dresses and blue satin sashes, snowflakes that sit on your nose and eyelashes..." "she climbs a tree and scrapes her knee, her dress has got a tear, and underneath her whimper, she has curlers in her hair..."

not to mention many more musicals from the 30s-80s that i've picked up over the years on vhs. around 30 or so shirley temples (a set of black and whites and also the colored versions) alone and a lot of rogers and hammerstein. "getting to know you..."

"i want to dance all night..." "wouldn't it be loverly..."

i honestly don't think i'll be upgrading these until vhs goes the way of the betamax.

perhaps i should dip into procuring a few judy garland/mickey rooney duo movies...that's next on my list. meet me in st. louis, babes in arms, babes on broadway, strike up the band, the andy hardy trilogy etc...

i grew up on this stuff though.

-----------

did you know in salzburg, austria you can go on a "sound of music tour" to where the stuff was all filmed? like the gazebo, the front/back of the house (two different places), the paramount mountain...etc...

i thought christopher plummer didn't like sound of music? and also, i know he couldn't sing so it's one of the crew people (i think) singing edelweis.

-----------

speaking of mary martin (peter pan), her son is larry hagman of i dream of jeannie/dallas fame.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:25 pm

ummm, yeah!

Tom