Off Topic Messages

MARC COHN SHOT

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Singer Marc Cohn shot during carjacking attempt

Singer Marc Cohn, known for the 1991 single Walking in Memphis, was shot in the head during an attempted carjacking on the weekend.

A bullet struck the Grammy-winning performer in the temple when a man fired into Cohn's van in a Denver, Colo., parking garage on Sunday.

A suspect was later arrested by police after a five-and-a-half-hour standoff.

The bullet passed through the windshield of the van, grazed Cohn's tour manager, then hit the singer. According to police spokesman Sonny Jackson, the path may have slowed it down.

"Frankly, I can't tell you how he survived," Jackson said.

The rousing Walking in Memphis mentions, among other things, the Jungle Room of Elvis Presley's Graceland mansion. It is also remembered for a line in which Cohn is asked during an energetic performance if he is a Christian. "Ma'am I am tonight," he sings back.

Cohn, the husband of ABC news correspondent Elizabeth Vargas, was released from hospital on Monday.

Joseph William Yacteen, 26, is being held on suspicion of attempted first-degree murder, as well as a number of other charges.

Brian :(

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:49 pm

I hope he has a speedy recovery....

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Bad news :( ..... I wish him a speedy recovery....

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:23 pm

walking in Memphis is one hell of a good song. Other meterial I've heard of cohn has also been good.
rick

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:50 pm

WOW! I heard about this from a member of the band I'm in at rehearsal last night.....my prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:55 am

If Marc pulls through, too bad they won't let him return the favor to that jack-off...
I just can't believe stuff like this happening...
God-speed Marc...